How Often Do You Bath Your Dog?

Baby Dragon

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I am actively campaigning a dog they are bathed on a weekly basis and it doesn't affect them at all. Even when I'm not showing them they're bathed every 2/3 weeks, but you have to use a good shampoo and conditioner and if you have a densely coated dog ensure that it's dried thoroughly right down to the skin, especially if you live in a hot, humid climate.

Mine get a bath every 4-6 months.....

The joys of owning greyhounds! They dont get really smelly, I use a stripping comb once a week and wet wipes on their faces when they need it.

Lucky you :thumbsup: I can definitely see the advantages of a short coated dog, but I LOVE my long coats even though they're a heck of a lot of work.

Guest Steph & Bam

Bam gets washed and blow dried once a fortnight, he smells very purdy :thumbsup:

I haven't had a problem with his skin at all since I switched to Aloveen, I love it!!!

Zedley is getting bathed twice a week at the moment. He has skin probs and within 24 hours you can smell his coat and it is also greasy. :laugh: He is a Wire Haired and should normally need to be bathed every couple of months - unless he finds something stinky to roll in :thumbsup:

It depends on the dog but Ruby is the one I'd bath more frequently than the others and even then, it's only a few times a year if she's not been swimming or rolling in anything yucky. Dogs don't need frequent bathing and doing so can cause problems IF you use the wrong product or don't use the product correctly. A healthy dog should have a healthy coat and skin that doesn't smell. Long coated breeds need more frequent grooming than my short coated ones, but even so, brushing/combing/stripping is more important IMO than bathing. Sure, bath a few times a year, or even monthly if your dog really needs it, but more often than that for a pet (non showing dog) is not really needed. :thumbsup:

when we first got hazel in march, the vet advised us to bathe her daily!! because aloveen soothes.. we felt it was a bit much, so we did once a week. but we conditioned as well. because of her scratching, she used to smell quite fast (she was shaved too) but gradually her skin got better and we sort of stopped to 2 weeks and now month-2 months she doesnt even smell, if we just brush her every couple of dyas :thumbsup:

The Boyz get hosed down after the beach excursions but only get bathed every 304 months unless they have rolled in something that was previously alive :laugh::laugh:

This is definately the case when we are on the road and living in very close quarers! :thumbsup:

I too have noticed that Clancy Whippet does not smell nearly as much as Carlin Labbie - even when they have rolled in the same eeeeky stuff!

Annie and her boyz

I wash mine weekly, usually every Sunday, rescues as well.

Edited to add: A dog's coat reacts similar to human hair when washed regularly. The more often you wash, the more oils the coat produces. As long as you use a good quality dog specific shampoo the dog will be fine. I challenge anyone to look at my dog's coats and tell me they are dry or have anything wrong with them.

Edited by Puggles

Our Shih Tzu'z get a bath every two weeks or more often as different events require :eek: OH baths the ones that are being shown when she thinks they need the extra effort to enhance there appearance. Boogie our Saint well he would have a bath every day if he could. He just loves it and the grooming too. He mugs me at some stage :rofl::rofl: roughs me up,rolls me over, licks me etc as if to say take that mate!! has a big shake, tail wag then lets me finish him after a big cuddle :( This kind of owner abuse only gets tolerated at 6 - 8 weeks :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Chris