Restraining Dogs In A Hydrobath

4 Paws

Hi,

i currently use adjustable grooming nooses from wooferwares but am finding with large unruly dogs they tend to give a big pull and the plastic clip part breaks and you can't fix them.The dog i did today actually chewed through it in about 5 seconds as well as snapping it.

What do other people with a hydrobath or groomer use?I l love the design of the wooferware noose as its quickly adjusts but the plasic bit is too flimsy

Ours has hooks drilled in

i have hooks on mine as well but it's the actual noose for putting around the dogs neck and clipping onto the clip i'm having trouble with

i currently use these ones,they're the red adjustable noose pictured under Support and teethering section.They are located in the pic under the dogs on the grooming table

http://www.wooferwares.com.au/dryers,table...upport%20tether

they come in 3 sizes.Never had any trouble with the sm and md sizes,its just the large one that keeps breaking as some big dogs have a lot of strength and can easily give a big pull and snap,the clip breaks grrr.Its a shame they don't make them with a metal slider instead

I use the heavy duty clips from Bunnings. They're an oval shape, with one end being smaller than the other if that makes any sense. To clip them onto anything you just push the side in. I have used weaker/cheaper ones and have had dogs snap them so I hear ya.

I don't ever clip dogs in to anything. I know of two seperate groomers who have accidently hanged dogs to death :) . I've never had a problem with dogs jumping from the bath or table, they are always done without collars etc.

How can you accidently hang a dog if you are there with it the whole time? It would take more than a few seconds unless it broke its neck.

Unfortunately there are many "horror" stories. I know of groomers who have not tied dogs up and had them jump off the table and broken legs/hit heads.

There's no way i would have a clients dog unrestrained.If you have the correct length restraint,the dogs shouldn't even be able to get over the side of the bath to get hung.I make sure the dog has a restraint that only allows it a small amount of movement to make sure the over the side the bath episodes never happen

I used to use a check chain attached to the hook in the bath. Only once did a dog manage to get out of the bath, and I had to very quickly unclip the chain before the dog strangled itself. If I was still grooming I would have had the hook moved back to the back of the bath rather than on the side, as then no dog could ever have gotten out.

hi

i also use a check chain and have never had a problem with it, if you are conserned with the check action of the chain you can clip the chain so it dosn't slide, effectivly disarming it so it whon't give a dog a correction. it creats a chew proof pull proof coller for bathing.

How can you accidently hang a dog if you are there with it the whole time? It would take more than a few seconds unless it broke its neck.

Unfortunately there are many "horror" stories. I know of groomers who have not tied dogs up and had them jump off the table and broken legs/hit heads.

I don't know. I guess a lot of people leave the dog momentarily, fooled in to a sense of ease by tethering them. I know in once case the groomer couldn't lift the GSD once he jumped hanging from his noose thus, he choked. In another was an idiot mobile person who went to turn the hose off in the clients garden and the dog(Maltese) jumped and hanged himself from the bath.

I've been grooming for about eight years and have not ever had a dog jump from table or bath, naturally they aren't left for a second all my equipment is right next to me. Larger dogs which I do on the floor do have a slip lead attached however the handle is in my hand not attached to something. Just the way I was trained and the way which works for me and my clients. :eek:

I don't restrain most of my dogs. I put a collar round their neck to hold on too and I have no problems. All my clients like to stand next to the bath and watch their dogs being washed though, which I think helps the dog stay put.

I haven't had any dogs jump out, but I don't give them the chance too either.

I have a little hook thing which suctions onto the bath. I use that one or two dogs. It would fall off if the dog pulled hard enough, but the dogs seem to know they're attached to something and don't bother pulling.

Maybe you could ask wooferwares and see if they know of any other products that could suitable or if they could make a suggestion to the maker of the nooses to make the clip part stronger ?.

I will only restrain a dog I have never done before, or I know will need to. I cannot affort for a dog to jump off the table and do damage etc. The restrains in the bath are so that they can only just get their head over the edge, and the table restrains are so they cannot get over the edge of the table. However, in saying that, I NEVER take my eyes off them, it only takes a split second for something to happen. When filling the bath etc up where my back will be to the dog, I prefer to have them on the floor running around.

I only use martingale type collars and not correction chains. I just dont like them and some dogs will pull that hard, or are that afraid, they are literally choking themselves on correction chains.

I know of 1 groomer, who when she first started grooming, had an elderly schnauzer on the table, who was deaf and blind, but was OK up there as he had many many years of grooming and was standing very still.

She turned around to pick up a towel off the floor, and bounced back up to this almighty thump.

The schnauzer had taken a step off the table backwards, and on the way down had smashed his jaw on the side of the table.

Apart from not being able to walk due to damage in the legs, the entire jaw was shattered and resulted in the dog being PTS.

That is why I never ever take my eyes off them unless they're on the floor. My main concern at all times is the dog, even if that means it will be safer for the dog to be restrained.

But the majority of the dogs I do, will happily stand on the table and bath without any fuss. I know the ones that dont though and take measures to prevent injury :eek:

I have been grooming 12 years and have never needed to restrain a dog in the bath, IMO it is dangerous and it teaches the dog nothing.

I have seen a few restrained dogs hanging (didn't die) after jumping out of baths when I was working for other people.

I also do not restrain dogs on the table for the same reason, I have one hand on all dogs 100% of the time they are being groomed. I also have my table against a wall so they cant fall off the back.

My hydrobath sits in a corner. I've drilled eye bolts into the brick wall on front and side of the wall. It's a boarding kennel, not a grooming parlour, and many of the dogs I bath have never been in a hydrobath before. If I think there may be a problem, particularly with a strong dog, I clip a line from the eye bolt to the collar (fixed collar reasonably tight, never a choker) from each side. The arrangement makes it almost impossible for the dog to jump out . . . though I can't do a 100% job in the area around the dog's collar. Once the dog finds it can't move more than a few inches and is pulling against a brick wall, it generally gives up struggling. Most of them are fine once they discover the water feels good, and can be unclipped.

It may be ok to not restrain a dog in a salon set up where there are doors around closed but if you operate a mobile business it really is very important to have the dog restrained as a lot of the mobiles are open and have a ramp.My last trailer wasn't like that as it had a barn door at the rear so you coukd close off the bottom half but a lot aren't that lucky