Dog Washers / Groomers

Am not a groomer myself, but many have bad backs.

Your boss is obliged to comply with OH&S- that includes you having the right equipment so you're not always bending over the hydrobath etc.

When you bend over with straight legs, you're using your back like a crane and it's not designed for it. Bend zee knees!! Back pain is nasty and not easy to treat ;).

Hats off to groomers. Now I clip the poodles myself, I realise it's a lot of work.

Funny you mention it :happydance2: I just went to the Osteo this morning. Go home to groom a couple of dogs including a Goldie Bath and Dry, except when this goldie turned up, it was the size of a Newfy I swear!! Now Im paying for it!!! There goes all the money I just spent :o

Really?? I worked in an office for 8 years and had a shocking back.

Ever since I started grooming, I have never had any back problems. I find I am way more active and even when leaning over the hydrobath, am always moving so I dont get any back pain.

I must be :happydance2:

I have a permanently stuffed back thanks to grooming! I've had a slipped disc operated on as an emergency!! The remainder of the disc is now very thin and this is causing more problems on a daily basis - I need a new job!!

Yep have a very sore back, neck, shoulder, knee, hip and now during the night my right hand goes numb and gets pins and needles.

One place I worked instead of having a hydrobath they had a normal bath built up to waist level, it was much better and although it took a bit more scrubbing to wash the dogs I never ended up so sore.

my back is the reason why i had to give up full time grooming. i have severe scoliosis and i ended up in hospital unable to move when i pushed myself at work too hard. remember to stop for breaks, stretch and take it easy on yourself.

I always use and tell my girls at the salon to use the hydrobath table insert. The only way to save your back. I get lower back troubles from lifting the big ones, shoulder trouble RSI in both wrists and constant bruses!!! Its a taugh job but someones got to do it! lol. We try and ajust everything to the right height that helps too.

I worked in a salon where I would sometimes wash 20 plus dogs in a day. My back held up pretty well but I noticed a real difference when we got purpose built baths that were just below hip height, they had a ramp for the dogs to walk up and tie hooks on the back of them, they were excellent and meant no bending at all.

I also had an insert at the other salon and in the mobile business, that was made of PVC tubing and covered in a thick shade cloth, that was also very good and saved much of the bending for the smaller dogs.