What's Wrong With My "cocker" ?

frank

'K9 Force' date='22nd Oct 2007 - 11:19 AM' post='2114679'

But what I would say is, Breeders seem to be a lot of peoples source for behaviour solutions, not sure why this would be...?

No-one is suggesting the breeder can fix any behaviour problems, but the breeder may be able to take the pup back and rehome him with someone who is committed to training the pup to behave appropriately.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K9: There have been plenty of people both in this thread & other threads that do recommend breeders when there is a behaviour problem...

Rehoming the dog will not fix this problem either...

What do you think will fix the problem K9, considering the present owner of this dog is not interested in appropriate training, and is hoping the pup will outgrow his problems?

K9: There is no process in place, the dog needs to be assessed & then a program designed that will work for the dog AND the owner.

How can that be a solution if firstly, the owner is not committed to working with the dog to teach appropriate behaviour, and secondly, if the owner does not understand/acknowledge that the problem is caused by himself?

K9: I guess like many threads here, your more interested in arguing than solving the actual problem...

No, WRONG! I am concerned about the dog.

You don't seem to be answering my questions?

If the owner is not committed to working with the dog to sort out the issues, rehoming to someone who WILL is the best option. Do you agree?

Edited by Toohey

K9: I guess like many threads here, your more interested in arguing than solving the actual problem...

No, WRONG! I am concerned about the dog.

You don't seem to be answering my questions?

If the owner is not committed to working with the dog to sort out the issues, rehoming to someone who WILL is the best option. Do you agree?

K9: yes I agree, but all you know is that he isnt keen on obedience, rehoming the dog wont solve the dog problem.

And...

I dont have to answer your questions...

It may be that the OP does want to seek proper assessment and help with this dog, and will put in the effort to solve the problem. If he does, kudos and best wishes to him and the dog. If he does not, then rehoming the dog with someone that WILL work with it may be a more effective option than simply letting the situation ride, particularly since it's the sort of behaviour that CAN end up in PTS.

I see where K9 is coming from.I too really wonder about the statement inregard of behavioural issues of contacting the Breeder.Many seem to throw it out as a Blanket solution to a problem.That might be fine fine if the Breeder has extensive behavioral knowledge, but not all do.

Folks this is the real World here.Nobody is saying let the situation ride, but a bit of reality is missing here.Nobody but the Owner can choose to get help or not to get help.Nobody but the owner can choose to rehome or not rehome!!!That is the reality!!! Tony

I too really wonder about the statement inregard of behavioural issues of contacting the Breeder.Many seem to throw it out as a Blanket solution to a problem.That might be fine fine if the Breeder has extensive behavioral knowledge, but not all do.

Hi Tony :cry: - For the most part, the posts in this thread have suggested :-

• Engage the services of a trainer/behaviourist;
  • Contact the breeder from the point of view of rehoming the dog.

The latter having been highly recommended seeing as the OP has made it very clear that he does not propose to entertain the idea of training the dog or engaging any professional advice regarding its behaviour (or what they need to do to change it).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe the suggestion has been to contact the breeder to sort out the behaviour issues - more a case of the breeder, knowing of the problems, being able to re-home to a suitable owner (who would be willing to take on some professional help to work through the issues the dog has now developed).

Well .... that's the way I've read the posts to mean, anyway. :hug:

And, like always and ever .... I agree with K9 Force in that training to remedy these sorts of issues should not be expected over the internet. But I think that's what many of the posts here have also been saying. Thus the abovementioned recommendations.

Edited by Erny

if there is one thing i have learnt here . it is that i now have someone to seek paid professional advice from . at my own decision and choice if i so decide .

Frank now at least has a contact when he feels ready.

That has to be a step forward...

The ball is now firmly in Frank's court....

K9

K9: There have been plenty of people both in this thread & other threads that do recommend breeders when there is a behaviour problem...

I recommended sending the dog back to the breeder because it is apparent from what Frank wrote that he is nowhere as far as training this dog, and he is not interested in going to obedience, or getting help.

One would hope the breeder might have a few more clues than Frank, and may be able to take appropriate steps to turn this dog into a decent canine citizen, either by retraining, or getting help, and rehoming it to an appropriate home - as breeders like me do quite often -- and not just with our own breed either.

Do you think it is more appropriate for it to continue to live with Frank and continue as it is doing, or to be tied up 24/7, or to bite one of the children? Or do you think sending it to the pound is more appropriate? Or having it euthanased because Frank can't cope, or because it bites?

Sending the dog back to the breeder in 75% of cases would be better than the options above!!

Some breeders actually do more than sit on the lounge waiting for bitches to pop out pups they can sell. Some actually do, or have done, forms of dog sports. Some are actually obedience instructors. Some have actually dealt with problems like this - and worse - before - from other puppy buyers.

And even if the breeder doesn't have a flying #### what is wrong with the dog, or how to fix it, he probably has contacts who do. Or potential owners who do.

This is not a huge problem, from what I have read - it's just that Frank can't fix it.

In the first thread, where Frank was asking for information on Cocker Spaniels, he wrote this -

the breeder is at doonside and is part of the master breeders assoc. i think they are too young to leave too . but she is fine with it or happy to keep them another week. the mother of the pups . is ia on the packet of a popular dog food. sold in petshops . these pups are orange broan

This breeder IS NOT a member of the Master Dog Breeders, and never has been.

I would have thought contacting the breeder about a puppy behaviour problem would be the first thing to do.

A good breeder would know their pups, the temperements of the litter and parents and most likely have some excellent advice.

If not then of course other options should be explored but personally if I had a puppy from a breeder I would be talking to them first.

K9

I recommended sending the dog back to the breeder because it is apparent from what Frank wrote that he is nowhere as far as training this dog, and he is not interested in going to obedience, or getting help.

One would hope the breeder might have a few more clues than Frank, and may be able to take appropriate steps to turn this dog into a decent canine citizen, either by retraining, or getting help, and rehoming it to an appropriate home - as breeders like me do quite often -- and not just with our own breed either.

Do you think it is more appropriate for it to continue to live with Frank and continue as it is doing, or to be tied up 24/7, or to bite one of the children? Or do you think sending it to the pound is more appropriate? Or having it euthanased because Frank can't cope, or because it bites?

Sending the dog back to the breeder in 75% of cases would be better than the options above!!

Some breeders actually do more than sit on the lounge waiting for bitches to pop out pups they can sell. Some actually do, or have done, forms of dog sports. Some are actually obedience instructors. Some have actually dealt with problems like this - and worse - before - from other puppy buyers.

And even if the breeder doesn't have a flying #### what is wrong with the dog, or how to fix it, he probably has contacts who do. Or potential owners who do.

This is not a huge problem, from what I have read - it's just that Frank can't fix it.

jed,agree a 100%.the pup that came back to me for "re training" came back because the qualified trainer they had listened to stuffed him!! what works for one type of dog does not always work for another,and that makes a good trainer when they realise this.i am a breeder that is extremely interested in dog behaviour,same as when i was involved in racehorses-3/4 of horses problems stem from inappropriate training.i will consult someone like k9 force for a complex problem,erny or tonymc etc,but this owner does not want to listen to advice which has been to consult a professional or re home to the breeder who can take steps to solve the problems.and i find the comment that breeders are responsible for a lot of dogs problems offensive,come and look at the pups i kept and the ones who left at 8 weeks and see the difference.it is because i spend hours studying my dogs,i know their habits,likes ,dislikes,personalities,their trainability and what motivates them.