What's Wrong With My "cocker" ?

frank

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read this thread, but what got my attention was how it looked on the forum board when looking at the puppy problems section......

The topic says:

"What's wrong with my cock" :cry::):(

Well done Frank!!! ;) :cry:

LOL bullyluvr I was the same I just didnt comment on it is all. It looks really funny when you first see the topic on the board :laugh:

:smurf: The title is what go me first reading this thread, but this is how I feel now ;) or what about :cry::) or better still :cry: wake up before it's too late............. Please. I can understand that you want to fix this problem yourself, but sometimes we need to know when to get help before it is too late. :laugh:

joanne76 do you happen to know where/when the group adult classes are ? (sorry for thread hijack :laugh: )

My work and family duties make it hard for me to make the local club obedience times. Do they do similar exercises to club obedience ?

I agree that this is one of the most frustrating threads I've read in quite some time.

Upon reflection, I think it's title really summarises where the issue lies.

"What's wrong with my Cocker?" asks Frank. He does not ask "what's gone wrong with my training" or "how can I improve my pup's behaviour" or "how can improve my relationship with my dog". Most answers tried to answer those questions but Frank really only wants an answer to his.

Frank, don't blame the breed, or indeed the pup at all for the current scenario. As I said in my one of my early posts in this thread, we all get the dogs we raise/train.

I see this attitude often enough on the training paddock.. handlers blaming the dog for training issues when both the problem and the solution lie at the other end of the leash.

If there really was something "wrong" about this dog the only people who could tell you that are professional behaviouralists - the one option you've so far not acted on.

I don't feel that this is going to end well for the dog. I sincerely hope and pray that you prove me wrong Frank. From the bottom of my heart. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Sunny70 I think the classes are run on Saturdays and to be honest im not sure of what happens during the class. I think they are adult obedience classes designed for dogs who have already learnt the basic and run for a period of weeks. i have my name down for the next class but i dont know when it starts.

At the moment I go to an unofficial training class on Thursdays where we are learning tricks and our dogs have playtime. Its heaps of fun.

I'll be blunt Frank - quite honestly I don't care what happens to you or your family because YOU will be solely the one to blame for being so bloody stubborn, pig-headed and a gaint twat.

On the other hand I DO care about your poor wretched dog so for the love of God contact the breeder or a rescue organisation, give up the dog and go get your kids pet rocks......

I don't think he needs to rehome the dog ... IF

He and the family get professional hands-on advice and FOLLOW it. And sooner rather than later.

If he did this, as has been said, the relationship could improve vastly and everyone including the dog would be much happier.

If he doesn't do this (as has also been said), it's hard to see how this is going to have a happy ending. Things might seem to the people to be going OK, but there is a demonstration that he needs to learn more about dog communication, dog body language, dog needs, dog behaviour, dog training.

All of which he can learn if he cares to.

Is is perhaps seen as sign of weakness to get help with the situation?

pf, I think you are dead on with your assessment - the assigning of fault to the dog. That has been consistent, despite the odd comment that it's not.

Edited by sidoney

without kids , there would be no problem at all. and to be honest i would probably play rougher then i do or have with him as i did with all my other dogs . but not with this one .

I agree. It's the children's fault completely. Firstly, they shouldn't be behaving like children (what ARE they thinking) and playing or anything quite so stupid as that and secondly, well they really just should grow up!

I also agree Frank that if you didn't have the kids (and hey, they're still pretty young, they'd probably fit in nicely in some other home if you wanted to get rid of them) that this dog (and all dogs for that matter) should be played with really roughly. It's character building and makes them loving family pets.

Yep, you not only sound like an ideal father (looking out for his kids best interests and all) but a perfect dog owner too. You should be proud of yourself. :laugh:

I thought Frank had stopped posting after my last post.

What you need to understand Frank is that 'Dog' training is actually 'owner' training

Please seek help and you will be suprised how quickly you the dog will pick it up and start to really enjoy your life together.

Frank - I'm going to try & make this very simple, easy & painfree. As I think someone has already said, Cockers are lovely soft dogs to train (stubborn maybe :laugh: ) but they WANT to please you. Your dog is not pleasing you & you have tried to correct this. It is not working. Please just chalk it up to experience or whatever & try something else. Get some advice - whether it's a professional behaviourist, your local obedience club (I'm sure other Cocker owners would be more than happy to help) etc The same method does not always work for every dog, they are all different & there is heaps of help available to you - cos you are the one who can make it work. Every dog has a "key" - this little bloke could be just as great a dog as your old GSD - please try to give him the chance to be all that he can be

I'll be blunt Frank - quite honestly I don't care what happens to you or your family because YOU will be solely the one to blame for being so bloody stubborn, pig-headed and a gaint twat.

On the other hand I DO care about your poor wretched dog so for the love of God contact the breeder or a rescue organisation, give up the dog and go get your kids pet rocks......

;) :eek::eek::eek: hear hear

If someone thinks it is ok to smack a dog to teach it then go get a pet rock and smack that REAL HARD!!

[if someone thinks it is ok to smack a dog to teach it then go get a pet rock and smack that REAL HARD!!

Before I knew better, if my dog didn't come when called we use to smack it. Then a trainer explained it to us- Why would you come to someone who you know is just going to hit you. We changed our training methods and then had a wonderful relationship with our dog for many years (7 to be exact). I just wish I have had got sound advice earlier with our dog, would have made life much easier.

I've been telling my neighbours that for the past 6 months - they have a 8 mo JRT that when he gets loose runs as far from them as possible...they chase and chase until they catch him then belt him and stick him back in a crate....and wonder why he doesn't learn.....they don't get that he HAS learned...the hard way......

my search and rescue mentor/trainer said to me "nothing a dog does is ever it's fault-it is always the fault of the handler" and i 100% agree with that.when emma recovers from her op (luxating patellas,desexing etc) i am going to try to get to sydney for training with k9 force,for while i can help emma settle down a little,i would love her to be all she can be and i will seek professional help to do this.i just wish frank would-it might only take a couple of sessions to completely change everything.

i wish not to be a member of this forum any more . moderators please ban my computor so i cant log on .

i havent seen so much hatred on the net, and am surprised the mods allow such derogatory remarks .

i will try and pm A MODERATOR TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN .

BYE . , AND SOME OF YOU GUYS , CAN HAVE A DRINK. and emicon clapping signs as to a job well done .

some of you people really deserve to go to HELL . THINK WHAT YOU WILL . BUT DONT WISH HARM ON ME OR MY KIDS

I WOULD NEVER WISH HARM TO CHILDREN OR ANYBODY FOR THAT MATTER . AND IF I MET SOME OF YOU IN THE STREET. THEN I WOULD QUITEN YOU UP FOR A FEW DAYS. AND GIVE YOUR FAMILY . SOME PEACE AND QUIET.

SOME OF YOU GUYS ARE JUST PURE EVIL.

Obvious troll is obvious :laugh:

Sadly this is not a troll, and such comments will only make the situation more inflammatory.

Frank, if you decide to rehome Bailey, please come straight to the cocker pic thread and let us know? We will help you find a good home for him.

I :laugh: I wasn't going to even acknowledge your remarks Frank, but you have just annoyed me now. If you have taken offense at anything I have said then I think perhaps I have hit a raw nerve by perhaps saying what you know is true, that the methods you are trying are not working, perhaps time to admit you need help that the situation is getting worse instead of better and if left to continue then your dog may need to be PTS. That is what I was saying with the use of the emotions..........Perhaps I should have worded it more obviously. I would never wish harm on you or your family. But it seems to me (only my opinion) that I am more worried then you are about what is happening. If it was my family at risk I would be doing something today. If it was me (once again only my opinion) I would be admited that this problem is more than I can handle and rehome the dog before anyone gets hurt. I would contact breeder see if they would take dog back, if not I would add to this thread "can someone help me find a good home for this crocker, with someone who can correct this behaviour" My disclaimer - this is what I would do if it was me, I am not a trainer, behavourist but a mum and yes even if this situation resulted out of poor training by me I would admit the problem is bigger than me and do what is necessary to protect both my family and crocker.

:smurf: The title is what go me first reading this thread, but this is how I feel now :laugh: or what about :):) or better still :) wake up before it's too late............. Please. I can understand that you want to fix this problem yourself, but sometimes we need to know when to get help before it is too late. :laugh:

I am sure that "Fit for a King" did not wish any harm on your family - personally I couldn't see anyone doing that. But I am sure he will respond to your remark.

I was looking at the K9 site and discovered they also offer training by correspondence, maybe this would fit in better with you time limitations. ;) Just another idea.

This was only a suggestion given you time limitations - sounded like a good idea to me (I am thinking of enrolling) from what I have read on this forum K9 is very highly respected and he has been envolved in this thread so he has taken an interest in your situation.

i wish not to be a member of this forum any more . moderators please ban my computor so i cant log on .

i havent seen so much hatred on the net, and am surprised the mods allow such derogatory remarks .

i will try and pm A MODERATOR TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN .

BYE . , AND SOME OF YOU GUYS , CAN HAVE A DRINK. and emicon clapping signs as to a job well done .

some of you people really deserve to go to HELL . THINK WHAT YOU WILL . BUT DONT WISH HARM ON ME OR MY KIDS

I WOULD NEVER WISH HARM TO CHILDREN OR ANYBODY FOR THAT MATTER . AND IF I MET SOME OF YOU IN THE STREET. THEN I WOULD QUITEN YOU UP FOR A FEW DAYS. AND GIVE YOUR FAMILY . SOME PEACE AND QUIET.

SOME OF YOU GUYS ARE JUST PURE EVIL.

Please tell me why do the moderators need to ban your computer, perhaps just try not logging on. I really hope your comment about quitening up people was written in angry with no thought put into the comment.

Sorry to everyone for making you read such a long post but I had a few things that I wanted to say and I only hope that Frank does what is best in the interests of his family and the crocker. Toohey has made a wonderful offer above, please put some thought into it.

Edited by chloebear