Fussy/stubbon Dog

I am needing some help with an extremely fussy stubbon dog. I know that this has probably been discussed many times but I have tried most things.

I have a Border Collie x Heeler who is not eating food that I am putting down for her. I am currently feeding Eagle Pack Holistic with Duck, but have tried Science Diet, Pro Plan as well as supermarket brands. I have also mixed in potato, carrots, meat, gravy, water both warm and cold, chicken, not all at the same time but over a period of time.

I am at my wits end. :eek: I dont know what to do. She looks at me like she is hungry but I dont know what to feed her. I also have 2 other dogs that are not fussy at all. My boy is on the J/D diet due to joint issues and my girl is loving the Eagle Pack, but Chloe is just not interested in anything.

We adopted her from the pound and she has always shown signs of being picky (I don't know what she was fed prior to us getting her) but lately it has become much worse.

She goes to work with my OH during the day and she is fed at night because she was refusing to eat in the morning because she would wait at the door so OH would not forget her.

Could people please give me some advise. I am hoping there is a miracle thing I can add to her food rather than having seperate foods for each dog but if it has to come down to that I would do it. I dont want her to starve.

I have been thinking of a BARF diet but I guess I am a little nervous about switching from dried and also not knowing much about it.

Please help!!

Try mixing in some raw chicken mince or chunks of steaks or sardines. Also when my dogs won't eat their biscuits I grate some cheese over the top and mix it through- works every time.

Your girl won't starve herself to death, don't worry if she gets hungry enough she will eat what ever it is you put in front of her!

Also don't feed her any treats or snacks during the day (unless of cause it's during training) if she thinks by not eating what you give her she'll get something better (like your left overs) then she'll never eat her food.

Edited by he'smyhero

Have you tried feeding her raw meat....preferably on the bone?

Maybe she was being fed that way ..and is totally unused to processed stuff?

does she have teeth problems?

No sign of sore gums/throat?

Is she playing etc? Her jaws ok?

I think with the experimenting you are doing , she is waiting til you get it right :eek:

stick with two choices...a meaty bone/chicken frame/barf type option,or a dry option with a little meat mixed in....

is she losing condition?

if she isn't...could she being slipped food at OH's work?

best of luck.

Perhaps try some raw chicken necks to start with and see what she thinks of them?

I might give these a try. I have been scared off them as both my other 2 just swallow them whole and dont chew. Maybe Chloe might be different.

Try mixing in some raw chicken mince or chunks of steaks or sardines. Also when my dogs won't eat their biscuits I grate some cheese over the top and mix it through- works every time.

Your girl won't starve herself to death, don't worry if she gets hungry enough she will eat what ever it is you put in front of her!

Also don't feed her any treats or snacks during the day (unless of cause it's during training) if she thinks by not eating what you give her she'll get something better (like your left overs) then she'll never eat her food.

I havn't tried mince yet, I have however tried sardines and egg. She is painfully fussy. I do however feel sorry for her and then keep trying things so she will eat. Maybe she is expecting this now. I just stress about her being hungry. She gets this really sad look when she turns her nose up at the food. I am so a sucker for the eyes.

Have you tried feeding her raw meat....preferably on the bone?

Maybe she was being fed that way ..and is totally unused to processed stuff?

does she have teeth problems?

No sign of sore gums/throat?

Is she playing etc? Her jaws ok?

I think with the experimenting you are doing , she is waiting til you get it right :eek:

stick with two choices...a meaty bone/chicken frame/barf type option,or a dry option with a little meat mixed in....

is she losing condition?

if she isn't...could she being slipped food at OH's work?

best of luck.

She does love her bones, but I thought too many of those can be quite harmful.

I will check her mouth, gums and teeth to see if there is anything wrong in that area.

She is a very fine built dog but I don't think she is losing that much in condition.

I do think she is waiting for me to try and give her something yummy as I have done that in the past when I have felt sorry for her not eating. I think I am part of the problem. One day we will get it right.

I might have to ask OH to keep an eye on her at work. You could be on to something there. She may be going to other job sites during lunch break and feeding up on sandwiches, pies etc. Cheeky!!

She does love her bones, but I thought too many of those can be quite harmful.

The BARF diet recommends approx 70% raw meaty bones. You can use chicken necks, wings, frames, turkey necks, lamb flaps (nice and fatty), brisket bones, pork bones, lamb necks, beef chuck bones. I usually take the harder bones away when it gets knawed to small sharp pieces in case they try to swallow it whole.

You can give the bigger marrowbones for recreational purposes.

The necks have very small bones so swallowing them whole is not going to cause a probelm. The wings I would crush with a big knife at first, though mine eat them whole and I have never had a problem. I always supervise them however, mainly to prevent arguments, but also because I had ONE occasion where my boy got a piece of brisket bone lodged across the top of his mouth and was mildly distressed until I removed it for him.

I add in vegies, fruit, sardines, yoghurt, egg, and various safe leftovers to make up the bulk of their diet.

I feed the occasional dry as well for busy times and convenience, but they love their natural food and do great on it.

Here's some reading for you.

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/

http://www.abc.net.au/wa/stories/s1293692.htm

http://www.drianbillinghurst.com/

http://www.drianbillinghurst.com/barf_philosophy.html

http://www.rawlearning.com/

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

http://sonia.clove.net.au/diet.html

Edited by Toohey

She is painfully fussy. I do however feel sorry for her and then keep trying things so she will eat. Maybe she is expecting this now. I just stress about her being hungry. She gets this really sad look when she turns her nose up at the food. I am so a sucker for the eyes.

There you go! She doesn't eat the boring food- she gets something better! Once she learns that she eats what is given to her or she'll go hungry she'll start eating properly- simple :) as I said she won't let herslef starve.

Of cause rule out a medical problem first. Maybe a quick trip to the vet but I'd be pretty confident that it's because she's loving the treatment and the better foods she's getting.

I do think she is waiting for me to try and give her something yummy as I have done that in the past when I have felt sorry for her not eating. I think I am part of the problem. One day we will get it right.

I might have to ask OH to keep an eye on her at work. You could be on to something there. She may be going to other job sites during lunch break and feeding up on sandwiches, pies etc. Cheeky!!

Ah ha!

My standard poodle tried the sad eyes on me, too. He would eat his raw foods, but leave the kibble. I had his food in the fridge and every time I went to the fridge, he'd follow and look pathetic!

What worked for me was putting his food down and what wasn't gone in 15 minutes, was put away and given back to him at the next meal. Took only 2 days for him to get the idea. Dry food is still the food of last resort, but he WILL eat it.

Healthy dogs do not starve themselves.

I don't know what work the OH does, but I walk our dogs past a building site and there's loads of half-eaten stuff left there. At the shops, someone who took their dog with them to the shop had to ask people not to feed her dog as it was getting fat.

My dogs hate all the brands you've mentioned, I've tried most of them.

The one that almost all of them have liked have been the following - Royal Canin, a healthy brand (lost the packet) which is the only one you can buy off www.pricelesspets.com.au and a new one by VIP I think. It's in foil packets in a large box and in Turkey or Lamb flavours - all little biscuits. Available in the supermarket.

Take her to the vet for a checkup to make sure she has not throat, mouth, teeth problems etc that could be stopping her eating

Put whatever you decide to feed her down for 15 minutes, crate her alone if possible

If she does not eat it take it away and give her nothing else until the next morning, then offer her the same food again

A dog will not starve, you have to teach her that what you give to eat is all she is going to get

She has you trained well LOL

My Shar Pei bitch was fussy, but that was my fault, once I did the above she eats what she is given because she knows there will be nothing else

Thankyou to everyone for there advice. :rofl: We checked her last night and there was no sign of any teeth issues etc, so then it was time to try some ideas.

We put some raw mince through her food and then added a little natural yoghurt. WOW!! she loved it. She scoffed it down. YAY :rolleyes: we had victory. I don't know how long it will last as I don't want to feed her yoghurt everyday but she will now be getting a mixture of Raw and Dry. I think she will be one happy puppy.

Here is a picture of her eating her food. See, hardly any left in the bowl.

post-20559-1193182379_thumb.jpg

Dogs aren't like humans when it comes to food- they can be fed similar food day in-day out and if they're hungry will eat.

They don't need to be offered a smorgasboard :rofl: .

She doesn't look at all underweight. You should be able to see the last rib. I can't (perhaps just the photo?). Dogs are best kept lean.

Don't stress and feed her what YOU want to :rolleyes: .

I would do the same as what I do with my two year old son when he pulls this one. Take to vet rule out medical issues, then the old fashion principle of they will eat if they are hungry. As was pointed out to me with my son, so long as there are no medical reasons, they won't stave themselves for too long. (but in saying that I would still keep a close eye on things and when in doubt seek medical advice).

Remind me next time and i will bring some of my BARF mix for you too try out with her. You dont have to add anything too it apart from yoghurt, eggs and sardines occasionally

I thought it would be hard but its actually really easy to put together. I also have the "Give your dog a bone" book you can read as well.

I would try frames instead of necks as well, they arent so easy to swallow whole!

As you know Darcy was a major picky eater, he just never ate alot and i hated the idea of starving him until he ate as he was already a skinny dog. Now he adores his dinner as much as Nova does!