Puppy Has Had Diarehha For 6 Weeks

Turbo

My poor Siberian Pup has had runny poo since the day i brought him home. The breeders gave me some pink medication for it and said they had a feeling it was because they just wormed him which was fine. The medication worked but as soon as pup came off it he still had it. Now he's had it for 6 weeks and its just got worse its full on liquid now (sorry if too much information) I've tried different brands of puppy food but that doesn't help and i really feel for the little guy - plus its an awful mess.

I know there has been a couple of threads on pups with 'the runs' but this seems a long term not a short term thing.

Any suggestions as i said every time he goes to the loo i really feel for the little guy. Doesn't seem to be affecting his weight gain though!

This is not normal. I hope you have had him checked out by a vet? If so, what did they say?

What is the pink medication called?

Seems he might have a bug there that needs testing for, and possibly antibiotic treatment.

Runny poo, but gaining weight? What are you feeding and how much?

He really needs to see a vet. They will probably want a poo sample, too (yuck).

It's not very good that a breeder would send you home with a dog on medication for diarrhoea. Some medications just stop the diarrhoea, but you must treat the underlying cause. As you've found out, otherwise, it just comes back. Bit like shooting the messenger :)

I spoke to the vet about a month ago regarding it. She said it was quite common in pups usually down to diet. Best way to stop it was to fast them for 24 hours and then put them on a diet of chicken and rice. He does go back to the vets on Tuesday for an inhouse puppy preschool i will broach the subject with them again regarding it. He was at the vets for the day about a month ago and he was on a course of antibiotics for an unrelated incident (rough play with our german shepherd gave him a 'cut to the noggin') they didn't mention it as a problem then and antibiotics didn't seem to change his bowel movements either (although obviously different antibiotics target different things).

I've chopped and changed him between Purina, Eagle One & Pedigree Puppy Dry Food Formulas (trying to find a food that doesnt give him the runs) I give him two cups in the morning (which equates to about two thirds of his bowl) and two cups in the evening. As far as Huskies he's going to be a big boy! He's still hungry after i give him this but as far as i can see this is slightly over (by about half a cup) the recommended feeding amount for his weight and age.

At first we thought - its because he eats so much grass and sand and he'll grow out of it .... but yes now im starting to get a little concerned.

No idea what the pink stuff is called i was told to give him 3mils a day along with half a tablet .... the bottle had no label. I did tell the vet about that too. I got him from an very reputable breeder so i do have faith in what they gave me for him they said that if they thought it was a problem they wouldn't send him but they are sure its just the worming tablets - but as i said obviously the problem is beyond just 'runny poos after worming' now. They had a lot of concern and love for their dogs well being - i could probably talk to them about it and they would be of assistance but i don't want them to think that im going "Hey there's something wrong with my pup what are you going to do about it?" I'd prefer to find the solution myself.

I'm really concerned and paranoid now. If he was showing signs of being sickly and not gaining any weight i would've been right onto it. But he's just always so full of energy and growing and getting stocky so being a pup you put it down to: oh he's eating too much grass or oh the food ive got him on must be wrong etc. Now im 'I'm a bad mum should've taken him straight to vet' :)

Will ring them first thing monday.

I'm really concerned and paranoid now. If he was showing signs of being sickly and not gaining any weight i would've been right onto it. But he's just always so full of energy and growing and getting stocky so being a pup you put it down to: oh he's eating too much grass or oh the food ive got him on must be wrong etc. Now im 'I'm a bad mum should've taken him straight to vet' :)

Will ring them first thing monday.

Poor baby

Louie did get the poops after we got him... I fasted him for 12 hours then put him on chicken, rice and natural yoghurt for a few days before weaning him back on his food.

Is there a vet near you who works on saturday? I would be trying to get him in asap - just in case...

Could it be that you are chopping and changing the diet so much? I know we ran out of food one night and missed the pet shop so bought other stuff and he had the runs until he'd been back on his normal food for a few days...

Food changes are supposed to be gradual as they have very sensitive tummies?

What diet did the breeder suggest??

Changing the diet all the time will only make things worse.Eating grass is a sign of a gut ache & issues & the grass is a natural soother.

Some pups can get some runs when in there new home but i wouldnt call it normal providng the diet is still followed through.

If it was mine i would be feeding it a chicken & pumpkin(pumpkin is better for the runs) for atleast a week or more to settle the dogs stomach.

I would go to the chemist a buy floramx tabs to reintroduce the good bacteria to the gut.

You need to also loook at what treats,whether it is stealing the other dogs food etc.It needs to go a on a strict bland diet asap to get things under control/

There is a dog product called protexin(sp) that is great for dogs with tummy issues.your vet should now this.

Years ago, I got a pup from the Lost Dogs Home that had shocking diarroeah. The vet at the dogs home said it just needed worming and sent me home with some kind of puppy all-wormer. A week later she still had the runs and I took her to a local vet who gave me some antibiotics for her. A week later and a repeat visit to the vet she STILL had the runs and I was very worried. My dad, who bred and trained racing greyhounds came and looked at her one day and said she had hookworm. He gave her some stuff for hookworm and a day later, she didn't have the runs. And was fine from there on.

thanks Rysup I will try that over the weekend! I put Kaos health above all but as i said it doesn't seem to be giving him grief so i will experiement with a couple of suggestions over the weekend and then my partner has monday off so if we are still expericing it on monday he will be visiting the vets first thing.

He also drinks a lot of water ..... a LOT of water so i will take this up with them also.

My poor Siberian Pup has had runny poo since the day i brought him home. The breeders gave me some pink medication for it and said they had a feeling it was because they just wormed him which was fine. The medication worked but as soon as pup came off it he still had it. Now he's had it for 6 weeks and its just got worse its full on liquid now (sorry if too much information) I've tried different brands of puppy food but that doesn't help and i really feel for the little guy - plus its an awful mess.

I know there has been a couple of threads on pups with 'the runs' but this seems a long term not a short term thing.

Any suggestions as i said every time he goes to the loo i really feel for the little guy. Doesn't seem to be affecting his weight gain though!

turbo, your puppy really needs to see a vet.... the pink stuff would most likely be "scourban" but this will only stop the diarhoea while he is on it not cure what is causing the diarhoea... I personally would take a poo sample to the vet and get them to test for everything as well as getting full blood work done...

Good luck, hope your puppy gets better soon...

When i say changing diet .... i've trialed things with him for about two weeks each. I realise that chopping and changing everytime i shop wouldn't help the matter so i've trialled different things every two weeks to see how i go.

Kaos hasn't had treats for about two weeks now as i thought this would also not help. He does have a faccination with cat food ..... but Zenah never leaves any left in her bowl for him to 'get at' he has gotten to her biscuits a couple of times but I've made sure he hasn't been able to get at those for a couple of weeks now either (the last two weeks the alarm bells have started to ring that this has probably gone on for too long now so i've been conscieously trying to make sure he can't get at anything he shouldn't) Not just grass though, he'll try to eat Mulch, Plants, He was eating a snail the other day .... that was just gross (no we don't have snail pellets, weed killers etc around), sand .... everything on a regular basis - which can't all help but i can't exactly ban him from the backgarden.

I do have an Allwormer at home - i must admit ive been putting off giving this to him because i thought - if they thought this is what cuased it in first place then likely if i give it to him its going to make him worse.

it could be something like coccidia (not sure of the spelling)... this comes from puppies eating bird poo like doves and pigeons... antibiotics should clear something like that up... chronic diarhoea will most likely result in your puppy becoming very dehydrated which can be very serious and sometimes life threatening... if your vet is not helping with the problem you really should be going to get a second opinion from another vet...

Hi..don't give him anything else in the way of wormers etc. now until the vet sees him :)

His eating rubbish may be a sign that his body is needing some nutrients which are being lost because of the faster transit time of the food? Maybe he is not absorbing what he should...

make an app't, gather a nice fresh poo sample in a sterile jar, and hopefully it gets sorted quickly for you both!