Puppy Has Had Diarehha For 6 Weeks

Turbo

When you are changing the food, are you gradually changing and fading the old in with the new? Or just changing straight away?

Changing food should be a 4 or 5 day process. Maybe changing the food is playing havic with his insides?

I'd definitely be getting him to the vet. I would have freaked out after a week.

Get your puppy to a vet..... something is definitely not right with his digestive system.

I just hope it's not hook worm. There is some bug thriving in his system, the poor little thing. What's your water like? He could have picked up a bacteria from the water.

Whatever it is, it is really some disorder that must be treated before serious damage is done. SIX weeks is al ong time for a puppy to have the runs.

As someone pointed out Scourban only gets rid of the diarrhoea not the cause.

Scourban will actually cure a lot of diarrohea - it is anti bacterial and antibiotic, but it needs to be used for 4 - 6 days to be effective.

Worms could be a problem.

So could coccidia - and the treatment for that is not antibiotics, it is Baycox.

Or if could be a food allergy - in which case, he should be eating what the breeder was giving him.

It could also be something like ulcerative colitis.

There is a difference in the colour and type of diarrohea with each of the above.

The vet should take a fecal sample and run some tests.

Good luck, let us know how you go.

Thanks guys as i said whatever it is he's had it since i've picked him up so im gathering the water etc is fine our other dog drinks it with no problem as well. He's poos range from a dark brown to a milk chocolate kinda of brown.

Vet did have a feel around his gut when i was there a couple of weeks ago and nothing felt out of place she said he was really healthy and happy.

Anyway will take in a sample and have it checked out. Hopefully all it is just something really minor.

Edited by Turbo

When i got my pup from the breeder, she had diarrhoea. She then had it for about 5 weeks and it was driving me crazy. She was at the vet every week and had every test done to see what was going on. We tried a few things that didnt work.

In the end, I put her on an adult food and didnt give her anything else. She had a course of antibiotics and protexin granules twice a day (really good for the gut) and that all finally cleared it up.

I thought she may have a sensitive gut but since then, she has been perfect and i feed her lots of different things.

The vet never knew what the problem was. She was also happy and bouncy and growing well even though she had squirting diarrhoea.

Good luck with your pup. You should ask the vet about protexin. Not all vets carry it but it is a great product.

People aren't upset with you, thinking you're a "bad Mum".

You posted about a problem, people asked questions, you seem to have answered honestly :).

We all care about dogs and wish you and Turbo only the best :).

Hope he feels better soon.

I was thinking back to when out standard poodle was a pup (large breed)- he had loose poos at one stage and was drinking a lot of water.

I was feeding the same dry food as the breeder, but had increased the amount of dry food vs raw mix. He was extra thirsty at this time, too. I added more low-fibre raw foods (e.g. brisket bones, raw mince) to about 50:50 diet and this improved things so poos back to normal.

I'd seek the advice of the breeder. Just explain the problem and ask for their advice, based on their greater experience with the breed.

Best wishes.

Maybe a good idea not to take your puppy to puppyschool, just incase it is something a little more serious, that might put other pups at risk.

I would be making an appointment with your vet for tomorrow.

You also said that you are feeding two cups of dry food in the morning and two cups in the evening. That is alot of food for a pup. My adult Vizsla only has two cups of dry food per day. Maybe you are overfeeding? Might be a good idea for you to speak with the Vet about a diet.

As other have said, dogs with diarrhoea become very dehydrated. Make sure he has plenty of fresh water available until you see a Vet. Also might be an idea to ask the Vet about getting some Lectade, which is an electrolyte replacer. Always good to have a few sachets on hand.

Good luck, hope its nothing too serious. Let us all know hoe Kaos goes at the Vet.

take stool samples to the vet to get tested right away. He's eating like a horse because he's not absorbing enough nutrients, he may have some sort of infestation. Do you live in the country or city?

Dont change the diet, I would be getting a new vet right now and making a big deal about it. He is losign valuable nutrients that a growing pup needs, and I wouldnt be giving him home remedies like yoghurt or biscuits, rice, chicken etc because you could just be feeding the problem. Get a stool sample analyzed by a laboratory, and get a blood test to check him for parasites and internal organ function right away.

Maybe a good idea not to take your puppy to puppyschool, just incase it is something a little more serious, that might put other pups at risk.

I would be making an appointment with your vet for tomorrow.

Good idea Vizsla. I was a bit concerned that it might be contagious too and could put all the other pups at risk.

take stool samples to the vet to get tested right away. He's eating like a horse because he's not absorbing enough nutrients, he may have some sort of infestation. Do you live in the country or city?

Dont change the diet, I would be getting a new vet right now and making a big deal about it. He is losign valuable nutrients that a growing pup needs, and I wouldnt be giving him home remedies like yoghurt or biscuits, rice, chicken etc because you could just be feeding the problem. Get a stool sample analyzed by a laboratory, and get a blood test to check him for parasites and internal organ function right away.

Excellent post Nekhbet. Hope the OP takes you advice.

When you make your appointments at the vet, ensure that you tell the vet nurse what you are bring your puppy in for. My vet often insists on the puppy (when sick) being kept away from other dogs in the surgery so the illness is not spread untill she has assessed the risk. I take my mobil phone with me, ring the vet from outside and then they direct me to where they want puppy taken. It may seem like a hassel but it can stop the risk of infections spreading. Just think when you go to the doctors surgery at times in winter, if you weren't sick before hand you would more than likely be sick by the time you left.....My puppy recently had diahorra and it was from diet, I was over feeding her plus giving her way too much fruit, plus the wrong kind.