Eggs!

moggy

I have been told eggs are good for a dog's coat and health. I vaguely remember in another lifetime when I had a Chihuahua we used to give him an egg whisked in milk every now and then. He used to love it. We have 2 Chis at the moment and wondered if we could give them the "egg flip" once a week or so.

Any comments??

Moggy.

I feed my girls eggs probably twice a week. This is due to Jody my Labrador who had a terrible coat when I rescued her, her skin was dry and flaky. The difference it has made in her coat is wonderful. Mind you should have seen Izzies my Kelpies coat when she discovered a hole in the chook fence and decided to help herself to the eggs. It gleamed. :rofl:

I feed my girls eggs probably twice a week. This is due to Jody my Labrador who had a terrible coat when I rescued her, her skin was dry and flaky. The difference it has made in her coat is wonderful. Mind you should have seen Izzies my Kelpies coat when she discovered a hole in the chook fence and decided to help herself to the eggs. It gleamed. :rofl:

:rofl: :D :D has cracked me up!!! no pun intended :rofl::cry: :D

:D :D :rofl: has cracked me up!!! no pun intended :cry: :D :D

Seriously (had to stop laughing first) :rofl: I give my doggies (Cav and a cairn/peke cross) an egg each about once a week. I just moosh it over their dry food for a change and they love it!!!

Also once a week I give them a small tin each of home brand / black and gold sardines and jelly - the cat food :cry: . I read somewhere a long time ago that the oils / Omega 3s were good for their coat and skin.

Debbie

Edited by blackdoggette

My boys get sardines (great for Omega 3's) and scrambled eggs once a week, and their coats are nice and shiny and soft. I read somewhere too that you shouldn't feed raw eggs because they could have salmonella, which is why I cook mine, but a lot of people seem to be happy using the eggs raw so maybe it is ok!!

Hazel loves eggs but she never touches the shell, i tried crushing it in she kinda just liked and ate the food around it :confused: i dunno if its just me being silly but I feel like her coats turning browner or yellower or more golden? but it also makes the coat shineeyyy

Mac likes eggs - I will sometimes give him them with the shell on, but he just crushes it up and leaves bits of egg shell everywhere and it's a bit of a pain to clean up.

Some owners find that just-egg can cause loose stools, so only feed egg mixed with something else or in addition to the rest of the meal.

I had to double check what this, because I didn't know all the protein names, but:

Raw egg whites contain avidin, an enzyme that destroys biotin, a B-complex vitamin, within the body. Biotin deficiencies can result in hair problems, skin lesions, diarrhea, and decreased litter size. Egg yolks, on the other paw, are very high in biotin

Considering this, egg whites should not be fed by themselves but only with egg yolks (or at least, not often).

Guest Robatife BCs

Mine get the occasional egg with the shell on only. I crush it up so they have to eat it. I prefer to give mine sardines though, and they like it better.

well i tried it tonight mixed with some milk, and my eggs must be off!!

Joey has been throwing up big time tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

the biggest throw up i have ever seen him do !!

He's quite off colour atm :confused:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Joey has been throwing up big time tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

He's quite off colour atm :rofl:

:confused: to Joey!!!!!!

The eggs could be off or Joey could be lactose intolerant or he's allergic to eggs.......could be other things too......

Best way to test if eggs are off is to fill a glass with water or bowl and drop a egg in.

If it floats - it's no good

if it sinks - it's fine

if it stands up but the bottom is still on touching the bottom, i call that borderline and i generally still cook it (for myself or the dogs). I haven't died or suffered anything serious yet :rofl:

He's quite off colour atm :rofl:

:confused: to Joey!!!!!!

The eggs could be off or Joey could be lactose intolerant or he's allergic to eggs.......could be other things too......

Best way to test if eggs are off is to fill a glass with water or bowl and drop a egg in.

If it floats - it's no good

if it sinks - it's fine

if it stands up but the bottom is still on touching the bottom, i call that borderline and i generally still cook it (for myself or the dogs). I haven't died or suffered anything serious yet :)

i'll check them next time like how you have said too :)

He does have a sensitive stomach with some food :rofl:

Renae had a different egg, and she's been ok so far :D

Jules xx