What My Vet Told Me...

[

And my research showed that Nutrience, Eagle Pack and Nutro were the top brands by ingredients when I checked but I believe Nutro has changed hands since so needs re-evaluation.

Royal Canin would be in the next bracket and Purina ProPlan is a good middle range (price) option.

Hills and Advance are WAY down the list.

Spot on molasseslass. I've done a fair amount of research myself and have come to the same conclusion: Nutrience (holistic), Nutro, EP, Ziwipeak and Dick Van Pattens Natural Balance came out the best for me as well.

In saying that, sometimes my budget dictates what i buy for my girls and over the years i have used some Advance varieties, Proplan, even Optimum on the odd occasion.

Ziwipeak has a lot of fat in it. I only use it for treats.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be asking my pet food supply store if there's any preservatives in their mince.

Almost all meat has preservatives regardless of where it is purchased. The question is - how much? Meat without preservatives would only last a day or two as a nice 'pink' colour. The pinker it is is and the longer it stays pink then the more preservatives as a rule.

3 - You know what's in human grade mince, but in the wild animals will eat stomach contents before the muscle meats which go into human grade meat.

Actually this is a myth. In the wild, animals will eat the muscle meats and some organs but stomach contents are often discarded.

They certainly don't eat grain though. Dogs are still carnivores with digestive systems designed for breaking down foods quickly. Their short intestinal tract is filled with much stronger stomach acid than we have. Food that would make us sick passes through a dog's digestive system much faster. They also have no ability to break down cellulose. Domestication and selective breeding hasn't changed that.

Edited by poodlefan

I buy raw roo mince (for pet consumption, not human consumption - it says on the packet) from Pet Cafe.

I freeze them when I get home. I thaw each packet and finish using the meat within 2 to 3 days.

Sometimes the meat starts to smell before 3 days, I would discard the unfinished packet.

I supposed that is alright?

I supposed that is alright?

Not a good way to test because you have no idea how long it was already in the shop for when you purchased it nor do you have any idea how long it was between culling and packaging.

There is a substance you can buy that, using an eyedropper, you squirt it on the meat and the end colour that it turns depicts the amount of preservative but I can't recall what it is.

I would say beware of people over the internet and strong views on food. Speak with your vet or their vet nurse team and come up with an option designed for your family and companions, some people have ended up really cynical about vets on here and they are letting that blind them of good advice. Good luck with your decision.

And this advice goes just as well for yourself doesn't it alanglen (who is a vet). :laugh:

I don't care if people do their own research and buy another brand of food to that I feed (I'm neither a vet, pet supplies store owner or food company rep - just a breeder owner who's done their own research). I will give my opinion on foods based on that research when it's asked for.

And my research showed that Nutrience, Eagle Pack and Nutro were the top brands by ingredients when I checked but I believe Nutro has changed hands since so needs re-evaluation.

Royal Canin would be in the next bracket and Purina ProPlan is a good middle range (price) option.

I totally agree with Molasseslass in her choice of food brands, though I haven't fed Nutro.

I neither ask for nor accept diet advice from a vet or vet nurse. I ask the people whose dogs look to be in stunning condition and I research ingredients of dry dog food.

Vets and vet nurses tend to push the food they stock. Their education doesn't include much information about diet apart from a presentation by a rep from a pet food company who or course will advise the food they sell is the best. This to me doesn't qualify vets or vet nurses to give diet advice apart from giving information to the people who feed their dogs inadequate rubbish such as cheap home brand food.

Nutrience certainly is a premium food, the ingredient list will prove it. I choose to feed Eagle Pack for their breakfast and BARF for their dinner. I don't mix dry and raw foods together due to the digestion rate of each being different.

My vet used to suggest I feed only a dry food of the brand he stocked. Interestingly he now stocks a different breed. He was not really in favour of me feeding BARF but over the years has now come to recognise it is an excellent diet.

I had my Cavalier at the vets yesterday for a hearing test. On giving her a full health examination he mentioned that she was in excellent condition and going by her good teeth he assumed she was fed BARF.

Edited by cavNrott

Where did the unspellable one come in your research? Eukanuba?

My GSD's breeder recommended Eukanuba. Coda won't eat Royal Canin and we tend to use Eukanba. (He got the runs on Nutro so we only tried one bad)

As I browse the posts I wonder. How did our pet dogs & many others survive for 13 to 19 years quite often, in the days when we did not have all this knowledge,choice & vet advice. They were often fed a big bone & some raw offcuts from the twice weekly butchers shopping,what we had sometimes,scraps,dry,what little choice there was back then & an odd can of Pal or Chum as thats all there was. Now we are bombarded by manufacturers advertising & various media stuff.

So confusing. Dogs eat meat & birds basically. You have to feed dogs what suits them. The pet meat stinks & is loaded with preservatives so unless a better source can be found I wouldn't use it. Science diet is great for half my cats diet but it constipates my small dogs,Advance suits them better. Use your own judgement & common sense by observing your dogs health,coat,teeth & bowels is the best I can say.

"the unspellable one" :laugh: I was using "Eukanuba Adult Natural Lamb & Rice Formula" and I would have put it below RC and ProPlan.

Don't take my word for it either though, do some research into the ingredients (and your own preferences for whats ok and isn't, your dogs weight, size, age and activity requirements). I'd suggest TheDogFoodProject as a starting point.

And as already said, the best food on paper may not be the best food for your dog, so don't be afraid to try another food if the one you are currently using isn't working or just to see if another may work better (I fed SuperCoat with great success for many years until the formulation seemd to change).

I agree with the vet! It's been a long time since our dogs were "wild" and certainly nutrience is not a premium food. As for the raw food and dogs not digesting bacteria, there are heaps of dogs hospitalised for gastro from the bugs in raw meet, look up HAeemorrhagic gastroenteritis and the number one cause! I will feed both raw and cooked but essentially only feed it very fresh raw and that should be ok. As for human vs pet mince, prefer human but pet is ok if your pet is otherwise healthy and can digest it normally.

As for the advance can and dry option, probably much healthier for your pet!

I would say beware of people over the internet and strong views on food. Speak with your vet or their vet nurse team and come up with an option designed for your family and companions, some people have ended up really cynical about vets on here and they are letting that blind them of good advice. Good luck with your decision.

i have worked in a vet clinic and had dogs on mainly raw diet for 3 years now and they have never looked better.they get minimal 'cheap" dry food,majority is raw ground chicken carcasses,wings,frames,roo,pigs trotters,raw and cooked vegies.the cases in the vet clinic with HGE were on processed foods.when my dogs were on processed foods before,i had lots of runny poo and stomach ulcers-magically cleared up after putting them on the current diet!!

I will apologise if I am doubling up on what other people have posted, I only skimmed through the replies.

1. While I refuse to feed my dogs any sort of commercial food, I do know that Science Diet is basically junk and I know a few vets who swear that they would never feed it to their animals. However, they make a lot of money through recommending it. You have to be really careful to watch for where the bias may exist.

2. Cooking the meat destroys some of the valuable nutrients contained within. Freeze it first if you are worried about bacteria- it will destroy bacteria but most nutrients can still survive when frozen. I have been feeding mine raw for a few years now and I have never had a problem with them getting sick. Dogs stomachs are much hardier than a humans. Think about what they have spent the day eating while you are at work- bird poo, insects, etc. Their stomachs can handle a lot.

3. I have to agree with the vet here. I cant for the life of me remember the article that we put in our club newsletter a little while back and I cannot actually remember the important details so you may just have to take my word for it until I can find where I stashed it. Basically there is something that is either added to pet quality, removed from pet quality, not removed from pet but should be... something along those lines. I remember thinking it was okay because mine eat human quality food so I didnt pay that much attention to it sorry. Whatever it was meant that you should only be feeding human quality meat (I really wish I had some idea what I am talking about).

A few things that I would like to add.

1. I would never feed raw meat and dry kibble at the same time. Some people do without a problem but Im not willing to take that chance. The kibble is full of preservatives etc and takes a lot longer for the stomach to digest which means that your dog ends up with raw meat sitting in its stomach waiting for the kibble and potentially making your dog sick.

2. Find a cheaper place to buy your meat :laugh: I get a lot of mine from a store set up near a greyhound track that basically supplies the racing community. He has a butcher contact who supplies him with human quality meat (he has a few families who actually buy lamb flanks from him to eat themselves, despite it being a pet supply place). He usually charges me about $10 for 10 kilos of beef mince and about half a dozen duck carcasses. There is a chicken store near liverpool that I pass on my way home from work that sells chicken mince for 50c a kilo and 5kg bags of chicken carcasses/wings/drumsticks/necks for about $2. I get my chicken hearts and livers from there too for about a dollar a kilo. Just ask around and Im sure you will find some good places. You would be surprised what butchers are basically giving away.

3. I would be wary about going with everything that your vet tells you. They honestly believe that they are giving the best advice but have a look at who sponsors their uni courses- the dog food companies. So of course they are taught that commercial food is the best option. When I go to the vet they always comment on how incredibly healthy my animals look but when they ask I tell them I feed them "mainly dry food, some rice and egg occassionally". My dogs never get dry food (except as a treat, they go crazy for it at training), grains like rice arent particularly healthy for them so I never feed it to them. They do get a lot of eggs and yoghurt though. I gave up a long time ago trying to argue with my vet about the best nutrition for my pets. They compliments I am constantly receiving and the instant improvement I saw was proof enough for me.

I'd be telling the vet to talk to you about nutrition if

Your dog has a tartar build up, your dog does not have a glossy coat, if your dog is showing any sings of allergy, if you are there for any reason other routine vaccs or emergency treatment, if your dog is scratching, vomiting or has loose bow motions, is obese or seriously underweight

If you are presenting a happy healthy dog at each visit, then I'd tell him to take a hike :laugh:

Your dog has a tartar build up, your dog does not have a glossy coat, if your dog is showing any sings of allergy, if you are there for any reason other routine vaccs or emergency treatment, if your dog is scratching, vomiting or has loose bow motions, is obese or seriously underweight

If you are presenting a happy healthy dog at each visit, then I'd tell him to take a hike :rofl:

I agree with you Warley, but I have to say I'm sorry if I made it sound like my vet lectured me out of nowhere.

I actually asked her advice on if I was feeding the right thing.

The advice she gave me was in the kindest possible way, she didn't lecture me or try and make me buy Science Diet or anything. It must have been her personal opinion and I respect that.

I know for next time to not ask though.

:laugh:

If my dogs are doing well, then I'll let that be the judge from now on.

:)

I am getting very confused with the whole subject of what to feed your dog.

My son's dog had blood in his faeces and was very sick. The vet told them to feed him a very bland diet, mince, rice, peas and grated carrot boiled together. He is doing very well on it.

I have just got a pup and he loves this meat/rice recipe. I have bought some Royal Canin, Goodos and Science Diet treat bones. At first they loved the Royal Canin, but after 2 days just sniffed at it and walked away. Goodos were a real treat for a couple of days too, but the novelty wore off. BUT each day when they had their mince/rice recipe they lap it up. Also I give them 1/2 weetbix with warm milk in the morning. Again this is quickly lapped up.

They are very healthy and lively. As I said I am very confused.

If you are presenting a happy healthy dog at each visit, then I'd tell him to take a hike :laugh:

I agree with Warley, if your dog looks fantastic, glossy coat, white teeth etc and has energy and vitality, stick to what you are doing.

I am also lucky being out in the country with this fantastic little pet food shop, that sells locally culled kangaroos, pigs and old cows. It has little preservatives as I have to use it within two days, and I only feed my girls beef, due to the roo mince making them hyped up. It is like feeding red cordial to them. And I change their diets on a regular basis with natural foods plus the dry kibble that I feed them.

I agree with the vet! It's been a long time since our dogs were "wild" and certainly nutrience is not a premium food. As for the raw food and dogs not digesting bacteria, there are heaps of dogs hospitalised for gastro from the bugs in raw meet, look up HAeemorrhagic gastroenteritis and the number one cause! I will feed both raw and cooked but essentially only feed it very fresh raw and that should be ok. As for human vs pet mince, prefer human but pet is ok if your pet is otherwise healthy and can digest it normally.
As for the advance can and dry option, probably much healthier for your pet!

SOrry but i disagree.

I did my research before i go tmy dogs and after.

I chose a super premium food, Nutro.

I used ot feed science diet, they had a lot of poo - piles of it. 2-3 a day

I now feed my dogs nutro, mince, yoghurt, sardines etc and they do 1 maybe 2 poos a day.

To me that suggests that they are using most of what they are ingesting whereas with the SD they were not nad they ate more also.

You would say to listen to your vet, you are a vet. :laugh:

When i first went to my vet they tried to get me to change over to Advance - it is a premium food yada yada yada.

THey would not really listen that i had done my homeowrk adn knew what i was feeding was top quality.

Once i explained that, they said they had not heard of it, but if i had researched etc that was fine.

I did do my homework. A lot of it.

I am stoked with my choice and after using a hills product i will not use one again.

I feed both my dogs Advance dry food and I am really happy with it. If you were to feed with a mix of the dry and wet it would become quite expensive as the cans are around $3.30 each. It is quite alright to feed your dogs only a premium dry food like Advance and give them a meaty bone once a week, and cuts down on costs. If you want to give them a change just throw a few sardines in with their dry food every now and then, cheap and really good for them.

Edited by bekker13

The difference here with pet versus human grade mince is simply that the pet quality has bones and organs. The food that I recommend and sell (Urban Carnivore) comes from hand selected animals and poultry that are organically raised. (no growth hormones)