Clipping A Labrador?

For those people who say their coat would grow back dreadfully how do you know? Have you done it?

Fom experience.

It seems you have only had it done once ,each time the dog is clipped the texture is altered more & more .

Great if its worked for you but many people are not informed of what can happen & the results it may achieve & a client should be told the facts & make a decision knowing that .A ruined coat takes even longer to dry as clipping enciurages the undercoat to grow thicker

Well I will let you know if I see any changes. For me it makes no difference with a desexed pet dog.

How does an undercoat grow thicker? You can't increase the number of hair follicles (they are present at birth and don't change throughout life). Does each individual strand of undercoat suddenly become thicker because it's been cut short? I don't believe that hair follicles producing top coat can suddenly change to producing undercoat because it's genetically predetermined.

So... by what mechanism does undercoat become thicker through clipping?

How does an undercoat grow thicker? You can't increase the number of hair follicles (they are present at birth and don't change throughout life). Does each individual strand of undercoat suddenly become thicker because it's been cut short? I don't believe that hair follicles producing top coat can suddenly change to producing undercoat because it's genetically predetermined.

So... by what mechanism does undercoat become thicker through clipping?

I was just going to point that out too.

My ex husband also had a theory about shaving a human baby's head to make it's hair grow thicker. :thumbsup: I threatened him with divorce if he ever tried to shave our daughter's heads.

I was in a groomer's one day when an owner came in with a pug and a foxy. I thought they must be coming in for a pamper session but no, they were both brought in to be shaved because the owner didn't like their hair loss. I was so shocked! At least the owners weren't dumping them because of hair loss I guess.

But they would still lose their hair anyway?? The hair that they lose would be shorter though. I don't understand the thinking behind shaving a dog to stop hair loss......

Fom experience.

It seems you have only had it done once ,each time the dog is clipped the texture is altered more & more .

A ruined coat takes even longer to dry as clipping enciurages the undercoat to grow thicker

But on Labs, thick undercoat is good.

If this happens, I'd think that people whose dogs have substandard undercoats would be lining up to get them clipped.

I have to say that shaving the coats of some breeds definitely changes them and while I agree that the number of hair follicles probably doesnt change perhaps the way the hair grows does. A weird thing I have observed having waxed my legs for 25 years and shaved for the first 5 is that the hair regrowth due to shaving seemed thicker because each hair grew back coarser and longer - with waxing the hair becomes much finer to the point that I no longer wax the back of my legs - hair is too fine. I have also observed that desexing can change a coat - what is going on there does the dog get more hair follicles???

I have to say that shaving the coats of some breeds definitely changes them and while I agree that the number of hair follicles probably doesnt change perhaps the way the hair grows does. A weird thing I have observed having waxed my legs for 25 years and shaved for the first 5 is that the hair regrowth due to shaving seemed thicker because each hair grew back coarser and longer - with waxing the hair becomes much finer to the point that I no longer wax the back of my legs - hair is too fine. I have also observed that desexing can change a coat - what is going on there does the dog get more hair follicles???

I think science has now proven the myth that shaving leg hairs doesn't make the hair grow back any thicker or darker. Only hormones can do that.

However, waxing makes a difference because it weakens the hair follicle and the hair gets a bit finer every time it returns.

However, we do not generally wax dogs so I am interested to hear more about the clipping theory.

How does an undercoat grow thicker?

Clipping means clipping the quality coat on top ie in Labs that water proof coat .

A good breed for example mini schnauzers,cockers.setters,cavaliers.

In schnauzers the pets which are clipped end up with a soft,velvety coat due to clipping.Some still retian there true harsh ,wirey coat but the greater number dont & thats becuase clipping removes the correct texture.

There is a difference between a breed having undercoar but still retaining the correct outer coat.In Labs they blow there coat twice a year & look naked but they still retain the true top coat until the coat returns.

When you use an undercoat rake on a lab the coat removed is dull,soft.It is the dead undercoat thats sheds & builds up.Simply place the removed coat against the area stripped through & you will the difference.

Look at show setters & feel there kneck area that is clipped(cockers also) That area is soft & vevelty but the rest of the top coat is a different texture.

Clipping isnt a theory its reality but many breeds arent meant to be clipped they have a coat for a set reason & when maintained correctly isnt an issue

When you clip the top coat is whats removed not the undercoat,the top often doesnt grow back the same & results in the undercoat taken over.

After clipping professionally for 16 years plus the other years of my own showdogs i see every year the long results of clipping.

I think science has now proven the myth that shaving leg hairs doesn't make the hair grow back any thicker or darker. Only hormones can do that.

However, waxing makes a difference because it weakens the hair follicle and the hair gets a bit finer every time it returns.

However, we do not generally wax dogs so I am interested to hear more about the clipping theory.

God forbid having an undercoat to shave on my legs (and pits) :p :(

When you clip the top coat is whats removed not the undercoat,the top often doesnt grow back the same & results in the undercoat taken over.

The undercoat is only slightly shorter than the top coat. If you clip back to near skin level both the top and the undercoat are clipped.

So clipping a labrador back short (and I suspect any dog) means clipping both coats as you cannot differentiate between the type of coat with electric clippers.

Labradors shed both top and undercoat. Sometimes at different times, sometimes at the same time. No hair follicle lasts forever, the hair falls out and is renewed at some point. The difference is obvious. One type of hair is thick, shiny and straight with an obvious sharp end, the other is soft, thin and crimped slightly. They shed both types. The top coat seems to be shed continuously and the undercoat is shed in huge amounts 1 - 2 times per year.

In a schnauzer it will take a long time for the coat to return to it's former texture because they are a non shedding breed. The neck area of a setter is clipped so it feels different - what is the point? My head would feel velvety if I clipped it too. Given a year to grow back would the neck of a setter that had been clipped feel different to one that hadn't? (Besides possibly longer fur).

So... why and how does clipping the labrador coat make it different once it grows back?