Anyone Clipped A Chow Chow ?

Yes three, they were ex show dogs, the owner had died and her hubby never groomed them, they were badly matted.

As with any double/triple coated breeds the coat comes back thicker. It doesnt detract from the fact that these breeds (Chows, Newfs, Collies, Shelties, Borders etc) should be regularly groomed year round.

Try and convince her that the coat acts as a natural insulator for both heat and cold, and that she should have the dog groomed regularly with the correct combs, a bath and a blow dry which will help blow out the coat.

Edited by Hesapandabear

I have clipped one before but I dont recommend it. Its coat was just a massive lump and the owner definately wanted it clipped so I did it. Looked quite cute after it, but definately not good for the dogs coat.

Yep have clipped off chows due to being so matted it was the only option suitable for the dogs.

We also no longer do them due to the aggression showen by the few we have clipped off.

Should add we have Double K clippers which can do the job easily .i wouldnt do a chow clip off if i only had wahl,andis,oster just not enough power & to much time.

Edited by showdog

Thanks everyone

Now i am really worried !!!

I have accepted the booking so i guess i should go ahead with it but am not looking forward to it. I think i will assess the dog when i see it and if i really don't feel happy with it will tell the customer then and there.

:p

Edited by Muckypup

Hi Muckypup I have Chows and no, the chow is not meant to be shaved, which does ruin the coat, and which eventually grows back thicker than ever and quite unmanageable. I have had a few rescue chows here who had been neglected and the coat is just a huge matt in which case I have no option but to clip them off. Others have been shaved annually hence their coat is totally unmanageable and have to be clipped regularly with a TDQ (Take Down Quick) blade which is indispensible and leaves abit of length.

The chows double coat serves as an insulation against the heat as well as the cold but regular grooming is essential, particularly while they are blowing coat.

I rescued a Chow last year, his coat was a matted mess and we had no choice but to shave him, almost bare in places

His new owner has to have him shaved all the time now as his coat is horrible and cannot be tamed

I agree with the others, do not clip double coated breeds unless they are matted