Suggestions For Dry Food Are Required Please

Norskgra

After Brock had his emergency surgery when he ate his crate cover, he only weighed 18kg. He should weigh about 30kg. He lost some of his intestines and now can't easily digest food. We are fighting a losing battle trying to put the weight on him. He also can't eat bones.

The Vet has suggested that we feed him an easily digestible dry food that is also high in fat. She did suggest a Hills one also also Royal Canin for kidneys.

Can anyone suggest any other good quality dry food, preferably super premium, that is easily digestible but high in fat? Also anything else that will help put weight on. I will make up some satin balls and get some lamb flaps but I will have to take the bone out of them.

Edited by Norskgra

My suggestion would be Hills I/D dry and wet food it is highly digestable and have seen numerous dogs with problems do extreamly well on it , so well that we now send home all Tick Paralysis cases home on it as they need a very digestable food that is soft on the stomach so not to vomit.Also hills is a gaurenteed analysis so you get what is descibed and if your dog does not do well on it it is fully refundable even if almost all used.

Edited by sheree_e4

After Brock had his emergency surgery when he ate his crate cover, he only weighed 18kg. He should weigh about 30kg. He lost some of his intestines and now can't easily digest food. We are fighting a losing battle trying to put the weight on him. He also can't eat bones.

The Vet has suggested that we feed him an easily digestible dry food that is also high in fat. She did suggest a Hills one also also Royal Canin for kidneys.

Can anyone suggest any other good quality dry food, preferably super premium, that is easily digestible but high in fat? Also anything else that will help put weight on. I will make up some satin balls and get some lamb flaps but I will have to take the bone out of them.

What about Ziwipeak?

That is higher in fat isn;t it, easily digestable.

But expensive. But it might work?

I spoke to the rep from Ziwipeak at 4 paws a couple of months ago.

She feeds her lab and her beagle on it soley.

Both the dehydrated and the canned.

She feeds her 32kg lab 2scoops of the dry in the morning and 1/2 a can at night

I think from =memory the 5kg bag has 44 scoops in it.

So a bag would only last 3 weeks - so an expensive option but worth looking at if it will help Brock.

Probably won't work but I remember someone saying kitten food was very high in fact compared to dog? Would it be an option to add some of that to what he is being fed? By all means if anyone knows better shoot me down, I just remember an Aunt of mine saying thats what she gave her dog when he was underweight!

I spoke to the rep from Ziwipeak at 4 paws a couple of months ago.

She feeds her lab and her beagle on it soley.

Both the dehydrated and the canned.

She feeds her 32kg lab 2scoops of the dry in the morning and 1/2 a can at night

I think from =memory the 5kg bag has 44 scoops in it.

So a bag would only last 3 weeks - so an expensive option but worth looking at if it will help Brock.

Thanks IHF. The Vet said not to feed Brock canned/wet foods. The cost doesn't matter if it helps Brcok. I have never skimped where the dogs are concerned. I would and have gone with out so that they don't. :thumbsup: I know that brock as well as the rest of my fur kids love Ziwipeak. I don't know why I didn't think of using it.

Normally there are plenty of things I could give him to fatten him up but not after his op.

Thanks IHF. The Vet said not to feed Brock canned/wet foods. The cost doesn't matter if it helps Brcok. I have never skimped where the dogs are concerned. I would and have gone with out so that they don't. :thumbsup: I know that brock as well as the rest of my fur kids love Ziwipeak. I don't know why I didn't think of using it.

Normally there are plenty of things I could give him to fatten him up but not after his op.

Of course, the trouble with Ziwipeak is that it's addictive, so my doggy tells me.

Mitchi LOVES it, i mixed it with her other dry and she picks up a piece of food an dspits it out if it is not ziwipeak!!

Hunta LOVEs it too.

Take a can of the ziwipeak into your vet. See what he thinks then, i only say that cause it is not like other canned foods.

Poor Brock must look like he is anorexic! Poor love.

Give him a hug from Hunts.

Mitchi LOVES it, i mixed it with her other dry and she picks up a piece of food an dspits it out if it is not ziwipeak!!

Hunta LOVEs it too.

Take a can of the ziwipeak into your vet. See what he thinks then, i only say that cause it is not like other canned foods.

Poor Brock must look like he is anorexic! Poor love.

Give him a hug from Hunts.

I have a few cans of Ziwipeak at home that I may try him on. The reason the vet didn't want him to eat tinned is because she said it will give him the runs. I might just try him ans see what happens.

I will try to get vicsta to take some photos of him on the weekend. He has had a bad time but he is still his lovable, naughty, noisy self. :thumbsup: I will give him Hunta hugs.

Thanks again everyone. We had some Ziwipeak cans here so I gave Brock half for his breakfast. He ate it in no time and kept washing his dish. I will have to see if it has any ill effects on him. I am getting some Ziwipeak Cuisine today and he can have some for dinner. The others will hat him for it. :rofl: