Giving Dog A Bath

jillybean

To prevent them from bouncing, mine get tied up (actually they are really good! My mum came over to do them when I had just had Luke and she had no problems).

In winter I do them in the bathtub, in summer the hose.

They don't like it but they tolerate it and stand still, though they may shake at a bad time :thumbsup:

Ive got a hydrobath now, but before I had that I washed Riley in the backyard.

I had one of those kids clam shell pools.

I filled up both sides with warm water. Riley stood in one side and got rinsed with that water , then shampooed. Then Id scoop out the water in the other side of the shell pool with a jub and rinse the shampoo out.

Worked quite well.

I do mine in the bath with a shower hose head to rinse. you can get them for a few dollars and slip them onto the tap. My 2 will jump into the bath and sit/lay they have learnt not to shake ( works most of the time) I towel dry them then they jump out and get another rub dry. if it is too cold to go out side I have used the hair dryer on occasions but they are not too keen on that. I have labs and they love the water so that helps too.

if you live in the SE suburbs of melb Priority Pets in dandenong sth (on cheltenham rd) is awesome. they have hydrobaths there sooooo much cheaper than what i've seen vets n stuff charge. when i used to take my dog there (live too far away now) she would jump straighht in there and loooooved the warm water massage. ask megan and she'll help you use it :laugh: she's great!

Hi jillybean!

We bathed our 8 week old beagle and 8 month old beagle the weekend we bought them (Ziggy - the little one smelt like poo!). Anyhoo - we did it in the bath. We bought one of those cheap $10 plastic shower attachments from Bunnings and she whined her head off and kept trying to get out - UNTIL my OH managed to get the temperature 'just right'.. it felt like body temperature. And then her would pat her and run the shower head down her back etc.. I honestly think she thought she was just getting petted - it's almost like once the temperature was exactly right she couldn't feel it any more.

I haven't tried in since though, so it could've just been my lucky day!

Bek :D

Edited by Beks

In the bath with hose attachement thing. My boys quite enjoy the attention. It's just like a loooong pat with warm water!

Funny one day, I bathed Floyd (he was going to the GAP stand the next day) and I didn't wash Rex - not enough time. Bit later in the day I heard odd noises from the bathroom - only to find Rex in the bath waiting for his turn!! :laugh: :D

I do mine in the shower, I have a shower head that I can hold and there are no problems, actually they really like it :confused:

Haha, glad I'm not the only one! I hate washing them in the bath because I have to lean over and my back gets really sore. I'd never washed them in the shower before because I'd always thought they were too big, but I tried it recently and it was sooooooo much easier. I imagine it would be a bit trickier if you didn't have a detatchable shower head though, unless you're able to pick your dog up in the shower. Mine weigh about 40kg each, so that's not happening :thumbsup:

Cant add much else to what has alresdy been said; but the water tepreture does make a difference!baby bath temp( not to hot not to cold!!!)dont emerse your pup in water; but use a spray attatchment not to hard ;talk to puppy al lthe time you are bathing it be it in the bath ;laundry tub whatever keep the colar on so you can gently restrain it; time helps also ;they hate the first bath but grow to love it once youve got the hang of it!!reward after & make it a fun time ;good luck ;ps buy some wet eather gear for yourself :thumbsup: PPS never tip water over pups face ,

i feel lucky that i have a spare shower that nobody uses...its really roomy and has a hand-held shower head...dogs can have a good shake in there too before they come out for the big dry

i used to love giving the dogs an outside bath on a big wrought iron table in the garden but with water restrictions thats been curtailed