What Is Your Dog Allergic To?

laffi

i have a Silky x Maltese that gets grass and plant allergies which worsen in the spring weather. i keep it at bay but keeping him off grass and plants that do the harm, malaseb washes and inflamol cream. have to put him on prednisolone when its really bad.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My staffy x has a summer grass itch. I have found though since I changed her diet a bit, cut out most lamb/beef and feed Advance instead of Supercoat she has hardly itched this year. She has had some bug bites but the two previous summers she has been red raw under her belly and feet but this year is really good........ touch wood.

One of my boxers ate some ham on Boxing day, last year. He had a very bad reaction and had to go to the vet.

He was a very sick boy!! This year he will NOT be aloud anywhere near the ham or the kitchen!!!

Wow their are alot of dogs with allergies.

BB a one off occurence would suggest food posioning as opposed to an intolerance. Lucky you!

Brown standard poodle allergic to lamb, beef, chicken and all grains (appears to be able to tolerate the meats in very small amounts if they have been cooked) fleas. She is treated with diet ( fish based dry food, turkey necks and tinned mackerel). She has been supplemented with omega oils all her life (she is 10 years old today)

sorry, frufru, but first time I read this I thought you were feeding your dog on cooked fleas! :rofl::rofl: It's usually the other way around (except the fleas eat their dog raw) :)

I have had several Pugs with severe corn allergies, they were quite tolerant of all other grains. Grass/pollen allergies are also common in this breed. Anti-histamines help a lot on relief, some will also give the steriods (prednisol & other cortisones) although I am not a fan of that. Best treatment is to keep them away from the triggers, where that is impractical just treat the symptoms. Trying to cure the allergy is usually a waste of resources IMO.

Sponging with ACV solution can give some relief from itching. Make sure that you at least dampen the skin under the coat and let the solution dry on the coat. Am intending to trial the inexpensive Aloe Vera Gel soap-less shampoo (made in QLD) to relieve symptoms of seasonal grass allergies aka "summer itch". Haven't got any further than purchasing a bottle, though. Has anyone else tried it? (Horse vet recommended it to me - albeit it is a dog product.)

My girl kirah has a severe reaction to "Nail Clipping" :) every time she sees the clippers she SCREAMS as if I were beating her to within an inch of her life,this is before I even start cutting them.........As far as treatment goes....Muzzle to muffle the screams,cut nails very quickly and only do them every couple of months unless I have her at work (I am a vet nurse) that way I won't get reported for trying to kill my dog :rofl::rofl:

eta - no one at work believed me at how bad she was UNTIL I took her in and they saw it for themselves.

Vet diagnosis - she is nuts!! :rofl:

Edited by sheree_e4

Maverick is VERY allergic to Bees!

Not in the normal way, Ive never seen him swell up. His body just starts to shut down :rofl:

It has happened twice now, he struggles to breathe, then cant stand and gets these awful convulsions.

2 emergency trips to the vet driving like a wild thing, we now have an emergency needle in the fridge!!

Poor little Mav, he has bug phobia too now!

1394_p.jpg

Edited by rudie

I haven't had Tilly tested for this but to me she is allergic to lamb in dried dog biscuits. If I feed her them she immediately gets an awful rash on her tummy and scratches to distraction. The vet told me it was grass related, I don't believe that was the entire cause and ever since I have ensured her food does not contain lamb she has been okay. I haven't done the whole elimination diet or anything though. When I fed her Optimum for a week (which Onslow grew up on) she got an ear infection.

So my solution is to just be on my guard for what I feed her and feed her chicken based dried dog biscuits. The boys have no allergies touch wood.

I am surprised to see here how many dogs are allergic to lamb. My belief always was that it was a low allergy food for dogs and that Tilly was unique.

Spartan is allergic to Chicken.... which to him is now the yummiest and most precious thing in the world!! We have to watch him like a hawk...

James is allergic to Bees... one sting as a baby resulted in swelling... most recent one resulted in anaphalactic (sp?) and a very rushed trip to the vet...

God damn crusader! And I thought Rafael's was bad! Good luck with your immunotherapy program, I hope it gives Charlie some relief, poor girl :bottom: It was all to much for Rafael's system and I only got up to the 2nd injection on the weakest strength vile before I had to stop.

Out of curiosity what vaccinations has Charlie had? Has she had the proheart heart worm injection as well by chance?