Trialling Goals For 2008

ness

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year was my first year trialling so I can't remember if I had any goals from last year, I'm fairly sure I wasn't planning on trialling in obedience.

This year we've managed a CCD JD GD and 1 pass in JDO.

My main goal is to improve my handling skills - I've improved a huge amount in the past few months thanks to my fantastic instructors, but there is plenty more room for improvement! :laugh: Occasionally we manage a truly awesome run because I manage to get my act together - I'd love to acheive those runs a little more often :laugh:

I might even have a go at Novice obedience - wasn't something I was planning on doing but with some more trialling experience under my belt maybe the nerves won't be as bad :laugh:

Guest Piximatosis

2008 Goals:

Holly

- CCD & possibly CD in Obedience

Finta

- build solid foundations for Obedience, Conformation Showing & Earth Dog for trialling in 2009!

I'm still not sure if I'm going to try for a CCD with Brody... I don't think he'd enjoy it but I wonder if it's worth putting the effort in to teach him to enjoy it. Somehow I think he'll be happier if he remains a champion pillow-hogger!

2008 Aims:

Kira: .....SDPX, .......

OK, another goal, to join Kirra in this endeavour - I can get around well enough for this one if nothing else LOL

Yay Helen, hopefully we'll get a chance to pair up again and next time I'll try to control the black dog better so she doesn't waste time doing the tunnel the wrong way 3 times!

Hope the knee's healing.

We will be continuing foundation agility, so I want to improve Forge's focus and offlead work around distractions. In April he can start big boy agility, so we want all the basics under control by then. That's as far as I've planned. :cool:

... it would be great if we can be working at a level to enter a trial in October/November when he turns 18 months.

Well I have just had a change of heart over trialling goals for 2008 - how about just having a dog that doesn't pull up lame or sore anytime we do anything remotely fun would be a nice change :laugh: .

Ness, I could team up with your dog as I am the same way, and you could run my dogs LOL

My goals this year are to stop pratting around with my dog and get her to do what she damned well can... pass through Novice, Open and up into UD. I would LOVE seriously though to have her just perform in the ring the way she does in training. That is my main goal. And to get her TQT and Track 1 if I can. And to get her BH if I can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Small wish list... not LOL

I would LOVE seriously though to have her just perform in the ring the way she does in training. Small wish list... not LOL

Gees from your results this year I thought you had already overcome that hurdle.........

So what are the problems now........what are the differences between training and trialling?

I would LOVE seriously though to have her just perform in the ring the way she does in training. Small wish list... not LOL

Gees from your results this year I thought you had already overcome that hurdle.........

So what are the problems now........what are the differences between training and trialling?

Got one really nice pass Ptolomy, only one in ring to do it on hot day. Next trial, sitting on 194 I blew dumbell by throwing it into the fence at the end of the ring I threw it so far LOL. Poor dog got to fence and went 'this ain't right'. Then PM trial went down in stays with worst case of flies on face couldn't blame her, blew 181. But fourth trial, last of year something was off key and she quickly reverted to refusing to heel in the ring and walked off. I think it was just that at that stage, you just have to have one thing out of whack to upset her and back the old displacement behaviours come. But at the moment, out of trials while hols on, I am seeing huge improvements in her performance. Her drive has gone thru the roof. We have obedience nights starting in Feb just before trial season here in Vic like mock trials and with their help I am thinking we'll be fine. BTW, those post games work so well that my girl will race to the post on the words 'back to the post' now and wait to touch my fist to receive a reward, or get one as we heel off. Thanks a million for that cos the post is now her very best friend LOL! This is such a bonus, everyone should do it :( Plus, lots of heeling games using little witches hats, weaving poles jumps, stuff. Makes it so fun that heeling is now fav exercise!

So Arya - perhaps you should have said that YOU can do as well in the trial ring as you do at training :D

Good news that the post games have helped. It wasn't that long ago that the start post was the worst place in the world for her.

Good luck in achiveing all you set out to in 2008

So Arya - perhaps you should have said that YOU can do as well in the trial ring as you do at training :cool:

Good news that the post games have helped. It wasn't that long ago that the start post was the worst place in the world for her.

Good luck in achiveing all you set out to in 2008

Ptolomy, you are so right!!!!!!!!! I am NOT going to stuff up this year, it is not really the dog is it. I AM NOT GOING TO STUFF UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :vomit: Actually, our video camera has been working overtime. It's amazing how much you can pick up that you are doing wrong with the camera and it will all help.

Good luck to you in achieving everything you want to in 08 too! Good luck to all of us... let's hope none of us need it :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

Since this thread is back I may as well put something in it. :)

This year I'd like to successfully juggle studies, human sport, dog sport and free time.

I'd like to build a stronger working relationship with Abbie and become more consistent with our agility.

Edited by t(AD)pole