I Have Great Gear, But My Pics Still Suck!

ruthless

Sorry, Rottn...what exactly are you asking about the Oly? Do you have one already and aren't getting the results you want out of it or are you looking to buy one?

Zooms are great, but there are sacrifices in big range zooms - the same is true in compacts and dslr lenses!

I've only heard good things about this camera overall.

If you have it and are having troubles, more information and a shot or two will really help to trouble shoot.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thanks everyone, it seems I've A LOT of practicing and learning to do! Watch this space :rofl:

How's It all going :rofl: You should be getting close to a pro with all this great advice :D

You'd think so, wouldn't you!!

I decided not to do any experimenting on holidays in case my shots turned out crap, so I just used my 17-85mm lens with the auto settings. I uploaded them here if anyone wants a look. They're ok, nothing worth framing though!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2651...mp;id=656062268

I don't know Ruth, they looked pretty good to me,

Love that first one :o

Thanks Kja,

Have already bought the camera, would have gone for one with the seperate lenses but that was all my budget would allow,

Just wanted to know If It was an OK camera,

I'm sure In the hands of an expert It would take some pretty good shots ;)

I'm still trying to master It all :o

ruth - looking good! Nothing wrong with auto modes ;) I've just been playing with the Pet mode on my little Canon 570IS...so far it's doing a good job!

Rottn... I think you'll do just fine with this camera. Those who have it that I've talked with like it just fine! SLRs have their place, but I wouldn't give up my compacts - too easy, too small, too ready to roll, too good for any conditions (don't really care if it gets knocked into the drink or down the sand dune, but I sometimes don't drag my bigger, more expensive rig around on those types of days!!) AND the dogs seem to not care as much when I have my little one - when I have the bigger rig, they sometimes wander off or stop playing coz they KNOW I want good shots LOL Look forward to seeing lots of pics!

• 3 weeks later...
There is something on digital cameras called shutter lag too.

On this 2 day course I did, they showed us how to 'pan' in action shots to show movement. So, your dog would remain sharp but the background would be blurry, emphasising movement - not that frozen look. I think I have instructions on it somewhere. I haven't tried it but if I can dig out those instructions, I will send them to you. With a lens such as your's, it will be a better result as it has IS. Apparently it's not that easy though and takes a lot of practise!

Here is what I mean - it's a different look and you either like it or not. I think it looks amazing.

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog...oving-subjects/

Ripley - what is the two day course that you did and where did you do it?

austen, It was through my local council's Community College. They ran two courses - an introductory photography one and an advanced photography one - I did the advanced one - both were catered to people with DSLRs. It was 2 Saturdays and cost about $150 I think. The college run them twice a year - I'm booking my husband in on the introductory one in March so he can take the camera off the darn green auto button for once. :cheer: I found out about them as the college distributes a brochure in the mail with all types of different courses you can do and it was in that.

I want to do a landscape workshop in the Blue Mts in a few months but I'll have to see how finances go as this one is not cheap.

austen, It was through my local council's Community College. They ran two courses - an introductory photography one and an advanced photography one - I did the advanced one - both were catered to people with DSLRs. It was 2 Saturdays and cost about $150 I think. The college run them twice a year - I'm booking my husband in on the introductory one in March so he can take the camera off the darn green auto button for once. :( I found out about them as the college distributes a brochure in the mail with all types of different courses you can do and it was in that.

I want to do a landscape workshop in the Blue Mts in a few months but I'll have to see how finances go as this one is not cheap.

thanks for that - have a few things on the first half of the year so I might just play around with the camera and then in the second half, I'll book myself into the introductory course.

austen, It was through my local council's Community College. They ran two courses - an introductory photography one and an advanced photography one - I did the advanced one - both were catered to people with DSLRs. It was 2 Saturdays and cost about $150 I think. The college run them twice a year - I'm booking my husband in on the introductory one in March so he can take the camera off the darn green auto button for once. :laugh: I found out about them as the college distributes a brochure in the mail with all types of different courses you can do and it was in that.

Our local community college does the same thing. I wonder if the course is exactly the same?

I know the intro one is 8 hours, and the 2nd one includes a outing as well.

I want to do the 1st one (it teaches about white balance etc that I need to learn), then do the 2nd one. I just have to find the spare money!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

our zoo (Adelaide) will often run photography sessions on how to photograph animals. reasonable price too.

havent been able to get to one yet - but i hear they are brilliant. maybe other cities do them to?

loving this thread - describes me to a 'T' :laugh:

• 3 months later...
Guest Clover

How is everyone doing? i have had my Nikon D40x for about a month now and still am not getting the hang of action shots (which was the main reason for get a DSLR). I gave in yesterday afternoon and put it on Auto, but even then the shots were not that great and i ended up scrapping most of them :laugh:.

I am also on the hunt for a decent lense with a bit more zoom than the kit one i am using :D.

Guest Clover

Yep AF lenses only, which is a bit of a pain. Nikkor 18 - 55mm 1:3.5-5.6, it is ok for portrait shots and is fine for inside shots.

I feel your pain with the kit you have. It's a great lens to start out and learn the DSLR. Would you be better off with a 70-200 lens (not sure what your budget is but it's a nice lens :love: ). There is the AF-S 70-300 which I cant say I was impressed with, really slow to auto focus. Alot of great advice on here with people recommending the cheaper Sigma and Tamron lenses which are suppose to be good. Maybe look into them.

I love my D40x and it's started me off well. Light-weight and a monkey can figure out how to use it, but I have decided to up-grade to the D300. The limitation in AFS lenses is a real nuisance. ;)

I bought the 24-70 lens as I am more a portrait type of gal, and my subjects dont move fast, if at all really :( . But it really is a great all-round "practical" lens. I have managed to capture action shots and portraits with amazing detail.

Some Ralph action.

DSC_0117-1.jpg

Portrait - shows the detail in the eyes, as you can see the yard and me taking the pic. Pretty cool.

DSC_0020-4.jpg

I don't have IS with my new 70-200 lens as I couldn't afford the IS one (I wish!). I have to make sure I try and be as still as possible as I hate hate hate tripods as I'm too darn lazy to assemble and mount my camera on one. Plus when you are hiking they are a pain. If I'm not taking a shot at sunrise or sunset, I won't bother with one. Oh to have hands of steel. :D I also have a teleconverter that is a 1.4 to add to it so it's almost a 300mm then (well 280mm, that'll do me atm).

How is everyone doing? i have had my Nikon D40x for about a month now and still am not getting the hang of action shots (which was the main reason for get a DSLR). I gave in yesterday afternoon and put it on Auto, but even then the shots were not that great and i ended up scrapping most of them .

I am also on the hunt for a decent lense with a bit more zoom than the kit one i am using

Try it on shutter priority, clover.

I used TV mode for this shot of monelite and choc dobe, Divani - first try at something called panning.

IMG_0545copy.jpg

IMG_0530copy-1.jpg

Some shots with my new Canon 70-200 lens I got in May. (have only used it twice :p ).

monika3copy-1.jpg

rexcopy.jpg

It helps if you are photographing one so handsome

rex13copy.jpg

Just a wild lorikeet I feed in the backyard, light wasn't great.

lorie.jpg

Love my new lens and can't wait to try it out on holidays next month, haven't tried it on landscapes yet.

Edited by Ripley

Ripley - those are gorgeous portraits there :thumbsup: Beautiful!

Clover - action shots are tough, but if you keep trying you'll still be able to get some good stuff. Just takes a bit of trial and error, unfortunately! Do try shutter priority with a good shutter speed so you can try to freeze the action - you may find you need to bump your ISO up a little bit, but it will be worth it in the long run.

What kind of action are you trying to shoot? Knowing what you are looking to achieve will help narrow your choices for a new lens. Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina have some great lenses in their line ups and they are often considerably cheaper than Nikon branded glass.