Puppy Keeps Biting...

jillybean

My 4 and a half month old beagle pup won't stop biting me. She has always been a biter, but she was improving and doing it less until she started teething. She's now lost most of her baby teeth so at least her bites aren't quite as painful, but she's started biting more and more! I recently went on holidays and left her with my sister for 2 weeks and since I've gotten home she's been biting me on the hands, arms and legs when I'm walking, sitting or even standing still. She only seems to bite me and not anyone else in my family, but she also only listens to commands from me and will follow me around everywhere. Stubborn thing!

The only thing that stops the biting is when I spray her in the face with water, but I can't carry the squirty water thing EVERYWHERE with me! In the past I've tried the loud firm no, yelping, turning round to ignore her, a gentle smack on the nose, holding her mouth shut, pushing my thumb on her bottom palate etc without much success.

Any other suggestions?

I used to give Delta heaps of cold things to chew when she was teething. Frozen chicken necks, iceblocks made with a touch of gravy powder or stock, frozen kongs, etc. They seem to get much mouthier when they are teething (well so do humans) and the frozen stuff seems to numb their mouth a little. Delta stopped biting me once I started to give her lots to chew and the teething only lasted a month or so.

Make sure you give them to her when she is not biting though :) If she starts biting and you distract her with a reward it can set you up for pain once those adult teeth are well and truly in!

Ah Brittie was a right little so in so with biting when we first brought her home, what worked for us was too hold a flat hand in front of her mouth & firmly say NO BITE then I'd pick her up & give her time out in the next room for 2 minutes, she hated being away from us even for this short time & she only took about a week of this for her to work out that the behaviour was not acceptable, my friend used the shake of the scruff method for her pup & this worked well also.

ahh i have the same problem with my puppy. She is only 9 weeks old and keeps biting me

i use the firm no, yelping and time out. but she still bites me on the legs, shoes, fingers etc..they are painful :confused:

i distract her with toys when she is bites me. Am i doing it wrong?

i have also tried holding out my hand in a flat plan and blocking her from biting but it doesn't really work

She only seems to bite me and not anyone else in my family, but she also only listens to commands from me and will follow me around everywhere. Stubborn thing!""

How do you treat her in relation to the other family members.Do you spoil her more ??What do they do different to you??

I am also interested in knowing how to stop this because my little terror Yogi is now 6 months old and still bites everything and everyone :)

Like the others I have tried the firm No biting, a slap on the nose but not hard of course, putting him outside every time he bites, he has loads of chew toys and I buy him them teeth chews all the time too! but the little buggar still does it all the time!

I never had this problem with my other pug at all!

Edited by Pugzville

What our breeder suggested, is that if the dog starts to bite your hand or arm, push it into the dogs mouth and leave it there for 2-3 minutes, no matter how hard the dog tries to spit it out.

2 or 3 times of this and they will realise that it is no fun chewing and will stop doing it. And it doesn't hurt the dog either!

I am also interested in knowing how to stop this because my little terror Yogi is now 6 months old and still bites everything and everyone :o

Like the others I have tried the firm No biting, a slap on the nose but not hard of course, putting him outside every time he bites, he has loads of chew toys and I buy him them teeth chews all the time too! but the little buggar still does it all the time!

I am also interested in knowing how to stop this because my little terror Yogi is now 6 months old and still bites everything and everyone :o

She only seems to bite me and not anyone else in my family, but she also only listens to commands from me and will follow me around everywhere. Stubborn thing!""

How do you treat her in relation to the other family members.Do you spoil her more ??What do they do different to you??

Well she's my dog, so I'm the one that pays the most attention to her. I feed her, take her for walks, play with her etc. Everyone else only pays minimal attention to her.

So sorry about my previous messages that I accidently put through, I have just joined and am not too sure how to reply, but I think I have worked it out. :happydance:

I just wanted to comment that my 13 week old (female fawn pug, Cookie) is also biting, I know that she is still a pup and is teething, but I have notice that she is biting my feet while she follows me around as well as biting me when I give her a pat.

I have given her rawhides, bones and toys for her to chew, I have also said no :thumbsup: and have given her light smack, but that doesn't seem to help. :thumbsup:

Can anyone please advise me in what else I should do?

Many thanks :confused:

Ames

Please dont smack your puppies, its not doing them any good, they dont understand our human ways. (not that I agree with human smacking anyway)

Give them a chew toy instead, and praise them when they chew on that.

Ignore the biting, turn away from them so they arent getting your attention, give a loud "yelp" and if they are still doing it, time out straight away for 5 mins in a separate room.

Puppies need to mouth, bite things, so provide lots of chew toys, kongs etc.

Smacking them will only confuse them. :happydance:

I went through the exact same thing with my Beagle.

I use to use the spray bottle, but after a while it didn't bother her.

She is now 10 months old and probably stopped a couple of months ago.

I think it may have been a combination of teething and being a puppy.

But since I got a second Beagle, her behavior has changed so much, it's incredible.

She is much calmer and definitely no more bitting and listens.

Do you leave her on her own while you are at work?

Cause she could be bored and trying to get your attention.

hope that helps

marcos

Please dont smack your puppies, its not doing them any good, they dont understand our human ways. (not that I agree with human smacking anyway)

Give them a chew toy instead, and praise them when they chew on that.

Ignore the biting, turn away from them so they arent getting your attention, give a loud "yelp" and if they are still doing it, time out straight away for 5 mins in a separate room.

Puppies need to mouth, bite things, so provide lots of chew toys, kongs etc.

Smacking them will only confuse them. :)

I have tried all these things Casablanca (I have a 10 week old Cocker Spaniel cross)...by the time the (tme out) happens it is 10 minutes after the event.....get inside...wipe the feet.....undo the lead......put in "isolation" area...by this time, she just whimpers as though I have tortured her. :p

Mine also bites my trousers and toes while I am walking....turning away from her just makes it into a game it seems.

When I yelp at the biting...she barks and frolicks and seems to think THAT is a game also.

I must be doing something terribly wrong :p

Edited by Budyjelle

Just be patient and don't show her that you are losing patience.

A firm "NO" as you spray the bottle also.

And as soon as she stops bitting, praise her with a nice pitched voice.

Hopefully she will start to learn.

But one thing I was doing wrong was playing with her and letting her bite and playing tug a war and she probably thought it was acceptable. So no rough games like tug a war etc, until she stops bitting.

Another thing I have come to learn about Beagle's is that they have a tendency to play with their mouth, i.e bitting, especially when they are pupps.

Don't stress too much, cause she will stop bitting soon. She's is still a baby.

When she does stop, you will think there is something wrong with her....hehe

I went through the exact same thing with my Beagle.

I use to use the spray bottle, but after a while it didn't bother her.

She is now 10 months old and probably stopped a couple of months ago.

I think it may have been a combination of teething and being a puppy.

But since I got a second Beagle, her behavior has changed so much, it's incredible.

She is much calmer and definitely no more bitting and listens.

Do you leave her on her own while you are at work?

Cause she could be bored and trying to get your attention.

hope that helps

marcos

Perhaps it's a beagle thing... I'm really hoping she'll grow out of it after she's finished teething!

I only work 2 days a week at the moment so most other days I'm home with her. I spend plenty of time playing games with her and going on walks. Yesterday we went to the beach for the first time and she had a great time splashing about and playing with other dogs. I don't know how much more I can tire her out!!