Allergic To Puppies!

Bella017

Hi,

I picked up our two gorgeous 11-week old Miniature Pinscher puppies on Friday night. Every time I touch them I get itchy red welts up and down my arms (and any other skin that has touched them, but my inner wrists are the worst) - some look like mozzie bites, some like flea bites and lots of red patches. After touching them I wash my hands and arms and about an hour later it's about 80% better, but the moment I touch them again it flares up. They don't appear to have fleas.

Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do? I've been wanting these puppies for over a year and to finally get them but not be able to touch them is very distressing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Belinda

I was allergic to Gomez also for the first couple of weeks, exactly like you describe - then it went away, completely. It must be something in their lil' teeth or lil' nails because I never get it anymore...

I took an allergy tablet everyday (those 24 hour ones) for the time and that helped a lot -

Can we see some pictures?

You have hives. It can happen with shar pei also. I have had shar pei for 5 years and have only had a reaction to one horsecoat pup (last year) that I bred. It settled down after a short while. I know some vets complain that they cannot touch any shar pei as they react to them.

Did you have much time and actual contact with the breed before you purchased the pups?

Hope it settles down for you. In the meantime it might be worth wearing a shirt with long cotton sleaves when cuddling the pups.

I have been allergic to dogs after my first collie died and then aquiring Golden retriever pups. My eyes and throat would swell up and i would get little red dots all over my arms, or wherever skin came in contact with them. After a while i got used to them and didnt really have any problems. I now have a young collie pup whom every now and then makes my eyes water. I am slowly but surely getting used to him and i know i will fully "heal" as time goes by. I love dogs too much to have them out of my life because of an allergy.

You could even get anti-histamine tablets to help you cope when it becomes really bad. I went to a doctor to see if he could fix it and he said "its simple, keep away from dogs" "Yeh right" i said walking out in a huff!

Somethings that could help you would be to not keep your dogs inside, i know if i go to someones house who have dogs inside and hair everywhere that i will be sneezing non-stop. I have found regular washing your dog will also help an allergy.

I know alot of people in the dog world who have allergies, so dont think you'r the only one.

Give it time and hopefully your body will adjust to having them around!

Good luck!

I was also allergic to Laffi when she arrived at 8 weeks. It went away with time and antihistamines. It took 2-3 months for my body to adjust and now I am almost not allergic anymore. I say 'almost' because when my immune system is weak I might sneeze a little after cuddling her.

Give your body time to adjust. In the meantime barrier cream on your hands plus long sleeves when cuddling may help plus antihistaminines.

If these puppies are the only ones you have reacted to there is a very good chance your body will adjust to them within a few weeks. If, however, you have had this reaction in the past with other breeds then you may need to go through a desensitisation course.

A simple blood test at your doctors will tell you if you have dog/cat allergy. Results come back quite quick,about a week. Meanwhile give them both a bath.

When my new kitten arrived from interstate I took her out of the carry cage for a cuddle. My son had an asthma attack & I broke out in big itchy welts. He has slight cat allergy & I have none,can roll in animal hair with no reaction. Phoned the breeder & she had sprayed kitten with Frontline spray.

Last week I received a new adult cat. Again broke out in in small itchy spots which my friend could actually see appearing like measles. Not wanting to chance bathing wiped her over with some baby wipes followed by a damp cloth. Fine now so I assume she has been flea treated too.

Tested negative years ago for animal allergy,as part of a research thing,but positive chemical reactions. Could be either for you so baths first & make your appointment. Then you will know for sure.

My first thought was something the puppies may have been washed in could have caused the reaction. Maybe give them a wash in a mild shampoo such as Fidos Everyday Shampoo which is soap free and very mild. Hope your allergies improve quickly.

I get exactly the same thing from Orbit. Believe it or not, the tips of his hair actually pierce my skin (I have pulled them out!) and I feel it stinging then come up with a little hive. It itches insanely for a while, but within an hour they are gone. I also get hayfever from dogs and cats. The hayfever I treat with antihistamines, but the hives I just wash with soapy water and they go away. It's only the short coats that do this, and i'm convinced its because their hair shaft is stronger and comes to a point at the tip which can manage to pierce the skin.

Oh and itching makes them worse!!

Edited by stormie

I get itchy when Bakari kisses me (knew I was allergic to cat saliva but didn't know about dogs) - I just keep baby wipes near and wipe down after I get kisses, it's getting better as your body gets used to it.

Try claryntyne - they are great!

Thanks for all the advice. I get hayfever from cats and dogs, but I have NEVER had a reaction on my skin before. We visited the puppies before we got them and my arms did react but we put it down to that they had never been washed and were covered in goodness knows what. I didn't get any hayfever symptoms so we assumed I wasn't allergic (we picked them partly because they're short haired and don't malt too much). Also, we didn't stay that long and the rash went away the same day so we didn't worry. I've been fine with all other breeds that I've come into contact with, though I haven't had as much physical contact with other dogs as I have had with the puppies.

The puppies were washed yesterday but it didn't really seem to make much of a difference. I can't see that their hairs have pierced my skin - I haven't found any stuck in my skin or anything like that.

Though not wishing it on anyone else I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who's had the problem. I guess the only thing I can do is hope that it settles down soon and try and protect myself in the mean time.

Thank you,

Belinda

post-12698-1199770214_thumb.jpg