Fraser Has Been Desexed

Fraser (our chocolate labrador) was desexed today and I picked him up at 4.00pm and brought him straight home. Initially when he got home he looked around and then did not want to be around me - he kept going down to the front of the house to check on the front door, I think he wanted my partner to be home!

He has been fine so far in keeping food down and drinking a little from his water bowl. Although I think he has had enough food (half of his normal dinner) as he is not interested in treats or anything tasty. The only real worries I have it he is wanting to spend a lot of time in the backyard at the moment away from us. He has cried and whimpered a little and I have also noticed that his front legs are still a little shaky...

Perhaps it is paranoia setting in... I just hope that he is feeling ok. I guess he has been through a rather huge event and I am sure that he would be very sore and tender "down below". I had a look at the wound earlier and they have only taken his testicles, his scrotum is still there - is this normal? Also I have noticed that he is producing a fair bit of drool at the moment as well and seems restless, he does not want to stay in one place for too long.

I am thinking it might be an idea to have him in our bedroom tonight - also is it advisable to put a cone around his head so that he is unable to get to the wound and lick it? I purchased one from the pet store earlier in the week and trialed him on it for half an hour or so before - he didnt seem too fond of it!

Any replies would be welcome - perhaps I am over-reacting a little but I thought it would be best to jump on here and ask the people that frequent the DOL forums... better to be safe than sorry!

Hopefully tomorrow Fraser wakes up, has his breakfast and will be feeling much better!

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)

Edited by Sticks1977

I had a look at the wound earlier and they have only taken his testicles, his scrotum is still there - is this normal

Some vets do it this way just keep a good eye down there that fluid doesnt build up.

Personally we ask for the full job .

Frends had there old boy done the same way as yours & it had no end of problems with fluid build up etc etc.

He will be fine,just treat him like normal,he is probably worried because you are.

He sounds as though he is still under the effects of the sedation,the best thing you could do for him is put him somewhere quiet eg laundry/crate and do not make a fuss.I would put him where he usually would sleep.

I would not worry about the cone unless he is licking alot alsowhen we desex the scrotum is left but it will shrink with time.

Edited by sheree_e4

Sounds like my boy the first night home on monday night... Sounds like he is still suffering some effects from the anaesthetic can take 24 to 48hrs to recover properly... wouldnt worry yet if hes not looking a bit better by tomorrow night or goes off his tucker call the vet. otherwise just let him work thriugh it.

The vets I know all remove testicles from just in front of the scrotum..I have never noticed any fluid buildup or problems with young dogs :thumbsup:

His aloofness and odd behaviour I would put down to the drugs still circulating in his sytem.

The 'shivering' may also be related to this..sometimes their thermostats take a while to kick in.

Drooling is also a recovery thing...

some dogs are more affected than others, dependent on all sorts of things.

Tomorrow, he should be feeling much more "together'

UPDATE!

I have been up about every 1.5 hours with Fraser overnight. It is around 4.30am as we speak and he has just returned from another trip out to the toilet. Tonight he has been staying in our bedroom (and just as well!)

Woke up around 11.00pm to find that he had been sick over the carpet, mainly just in liquid form - it had come out of his mouth, not the other end - I cleaned it up, sent him out to the toilet and then back to bed. This happened again around 1.30am and then again at 3.00am but this time - thankfully - he was outside when it came up. It has had a bit of a yellow/brown colour to it when he has brought it up also.

When he came back in at 3.00am I put him back on his bed, covered him with a blanket and patted him until he went to sleep (which didn't take long...) he woke again at 4.00am and went out for a wee outside and was spending a fair bit of time out there - I kept my eye on him and so far no vomiting as far as I was aware. I took him back to bed and placed the blanket over him again and then came here to type this message.

As I type, he is out of bed again and was standing at the sliding door wanting to go out again - I have let him out and hopefully he is back to bed soon, and I can grab a bit more shut eye!

I think I will call the Vet in the morning and run by them what I have mentioned in this message... something just does not seem right - perhaps the anesthetic has played around with his tummy. I do know throughout the night he has been drinking a fair bit of water - I have now limited his supply to it.

Will keep you all posted (no punn intended - hehe) on the news and updates with Fraser - at the moment time has no real weight at the moment - I think I will be sleeping in on Sunday morning!

Awe you poor thing.. hopefully it is just a reaction to the drugs. I know Deca had a good dose of diarrhea after his op, but no vomiting at all. The vet rang us the day after the op to see how he was, and after explaining that to him, he said it was a normal reaction to the drugs.

My dog was quite dopey and sleepy the afternoon-evening after the op.

Op sounds same as yours. He's a standard poodle and so is shaved all around that area with clippers- no problems at all.

I was told to only give a light dinner and not worry about food- as long as he was drinking normally.

Vomiting can be a reaction to anaesthetic, but if you're worried speak to the vet.

did your vet not give you a after op care information sheet?if he hasnt inproved by the end of today I would be ringing the vet for advise ;but to me it all seems normal a reaction to the anesetic causing vomiting ;but I wouldnt reduce his fluid intake; dogs k :thumbsup: now what they need ;hope he is bouncing around (NOT LITERALLY)2day ;please keep us updated

did your vet not give you a after op care information sheet?if he hasnt inproved by the end of today I would be ringing the vet for advise ;but to me it all seems normal a reaction to the anesetic causing vomiting ;but I wouldnt reduce his fluid intake; dogs k :coffee: now what they need ;hope he is bouncing around (NOT LITERALLY)2day ;please keep us updated

I didn't get an after op information sheet from the Vet but I have him booked in for 11.45am today for a check up to make sure everything it ok with him. The Vet mentioned on the phone that there would be no charge for the consultation and only for any pain relief medication that he may require.

I shall post again once we are back from the Vets, on a good note he has not been licking or biting at his stitches at all, and as the morning is progressing he is starting to slowly come back to his normal self. Not as much crying and he is having a few sleeps around the house - only problem really is that he is not eating.

News just in - my partner has brought home a chicken fillet to cook up for him after we bring him home from the Vet, I'm sure that he wont say no to that!

We took Fraser down to the Vet and she administered him with some injections: one to stop any vomiting, an antibiotic to help with any nausea, and an anti-inflammatory/painkiller to help with any pain from the desexing.

She checked his teeth and also took his temperature (39.3) and said to keep and eye on him, if he does not improve to come back tomorrow and get some more anti-biotics and some pain relief. He seemed happy in the waiting area where there were other dogs around.

My partner cooked him up half a chicken fillet in the hope to get him to eat - but so far he has not touched it. Perhaps he is still feeling a little under the weather and may not be up for any food. It worries me a little though as he is a labrador and they are famous for loving their food!

Does anyone have any tips to get him to eat? Or should I just wait and see how things progress in the hope that he will eat something later tonight? When he first came home from the Vet yesterday he was able to eat half of his normal dinner (this was all we gave him) and so far today he hasn't eaten anything at all.

Shall report back again when he takes his first bite!

Try to relax a little bit Shaun,

the no eating is more than likely related to the drugs he's had pumped in to him. Mazza was off his tucker for a day or 2 after he got desexed in December, he was miserable, but more than anything I found myself obsessing because I felt horribly guilty for putting him through the op even though it is obviously the right thing to do.

It took 4 days before Mazza was his true self again but your pup WILL start to pick up, just be patient and don't be too hard on yourself :coffee:

He will probably eat again when his stomach is more settled, its better not to rush or fuss with tempting foods, he will likely throw them up. Chicken is a great idea, its plain and very delicious to most dogs so I'm sure he will eat it as soon as he can stomach it.

Good luck, my thoughts are with both of you :laugh:

PS - Mazza's scrotum was left behind too...it's getting smaller by the day - nothing weighing it down :coffee:

He will probably eat again when his stomach is more settled, its better not to rush or fuss with tempting foods, he will likely throw them up. Chicken is a great idea, its plain and very delicious to most dogs so I'm sure he will eat it as soon as he can stomach it.

Thanks for your reply, I have never been through this whole "desexing" thing before, have had family pets in the past that have been desexed, but as I was growing up I was not really involved with them or paying too much attention.

I guess I'm worried as it seems a huge contrast, usually he is very playful and lively but at the moment he is sleepy, disinterested and very quiet. I guess it will take a day or two for him to come around, I was in the bathroom before (where he was sleeping) and was just watching him sleeping, his tummy is making all sorts of noises so I guess he has to feel that he wants to eat and will when he thinks it is right.

I heard somewhere as well dogs can go several days without food, so that makes me feel a little more at ease about what is going on. Again thank you for your reply schnauzer_luv and I will try and relax a little more and let nature take it's course...

Shaun..as suggested..don't panic :coffee:

Dogs are pretty good at self-healing... usually we don't feed them on the night they come home..their tummies settle ,and they are ready for breakfast!

I would also suggest not offering food until this evening.... he will be fine!!

Anaesthetics can play havoc with their bodies...and it can take a couple of days.

If he's on antibiotics,is well hydrated, and is not in obvious pain...just let him REST.

Don't try and tempt him with food..or to be socuiable,or to be active... let his system get over the insult it has suffered :coffee:

I must say I am also surprised he was fed on the night of the operation. Your vet should have told you not to feed him till the next morning. Poor guy, no wonder he vomitted. The vomitting from yesterday probably put him off his food today also. Just make sure he has fluids available and he will eat soft food when he is ready. Boys are all big sooks too remember, so don't baby him too much. Just leave him rest. If he is not improving by tomorrow, another vet check would be a good idea.