Bulky Poos On Ep?

Has anyone else's dog had bulky poos while fed on EP?

I gradually switched my weimaraner over to EP large breed puppy from Proplan last week. On Proplan he had small, firm non-smelly poos but I wasn't happy with how he was growing which is why I switched him to EP.

His poos on EP have been bulky, smellier and a bit softer than usual. I can't understand why the better quality ingredients would make them worse?

He is 6 months old, 28kg and is fed 2 cups twice a day, mixed with pumpkin. He also gets chicken frames and other bones during the week.

I will feed semi BARF eventually but my first goal is to find a good kibble for him.

thasnks in advance

Possibly an adjustment period but as well how much you are feeding of EP. Maybe cut the EP down to 1 and a half cups a day and look at he amount of bones etc s/he is getting as well.

I was over feeding on EP as well and now my boy has lost 2kg and way more active with solid non stink poo's!

More info might help but this is what my GR gets with approx 1 & 1/2 hrs exercise per day

1 & 3/4 cups of ep a day

a big table spoon of natural yoghurt every morning

a little vegies every second night

sardine, tuna or a approx 80 grms of mince every other night to the vegies (tuna and sardines in spring water)

a soup bone or briskit bone during the days I am at work - otherwise none as he gets a few other treats while we are home on the weekends

I pack each morning I go to work 2 kongs with a thinish slice of cheese all cubed up with some of his kibble (from his daily portion). As well a carrot or apple diced up thrown all around the place!

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Ordinary Eagle Pack contains corn, two of my dogs were affected the same way so I changed to the Holistic range which is corn free and they were fine. Some dogs don't tolerate corn well and it sounds as if yours is one of them. Corn, wheat and soy are common allergens in dogs so try to avoid any product that contains them.

Take the bag back, explain that it doesn't suit your dog and exchange it one of the Holistic products, even if you have used some of the bag they should refund your money and you should only have to pay the difference in price which will probably be $20/$30.

IMO Eagle Pack Holistic is a far better product and I would also recommend Nutro Lamb and Rice if it's available in your area.

a lot of the premium dog food brands are made overseas and their feeding guides aren't suitable for australian dogs. you should always feed a little less than what it says on the packet (though in the case of royal canin it's like 1/2) and watch your dogs weight and poop. you can adjust it as necessary.

also if you switched over suddenly from proplan to EP that could cause a tummy upset but that usually results in runny poo, not bulky ones! lol..

Holistic large breed puppy was my first choice but I couldnt find it anywhere in Brisbane so that's why I purchased the regular EP. Do you think I can feed EP holistic adult varieties to a puppy?

Will have a look at Nutro, thanks.

I switch all my dogs onto adult formulas at six to eight months of age, he'll be fine.

It's the Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken that can be fed to puppies but I think of the small and medium breeds only. I've decided not to feed dry food anymore as my dogs are doing best on raw meaty bones, BARF patties and Tucker Time. On the dry food they were doing big smelly poos and farting alot :coffee:.

I have some Eagle Pack here and that never even occured to me! LOL

My dogs dont really like it much, so once this bag is gone I wont rush out and get it again. I only got it in an attempt to tempt a fussy bitch who was feeding puppies. Didnt work!

I've been using the Eagle Pack Holistic Large Puppy Formula for a week now... And it's been great! Have already seen dramatic improvements in Hunter's "Leavings" :D

I couldn't find it in adelaide so I just ordered it online! I think the no corn makes all the difference for him!

k9katzkitchen has the large puppy holistic in stock....

post-19918-1200132587.jpg

I cut his intake down to 3-3.5 cups/day for the week but he got too skinny (being a weim, there is such a thing as too skinny). I've managed to track down a place which has the Holistic large breed puppy and will try to pick up a bag today

thanks for the input guys

Hey Kathy,

Where did you get the holistic large breed? I thought that was what I bought but after reading this thread I checked and it's just the normal stuff.

However even then I've noticed that Bakari has gone from 2 poos a day down to one after changing from Hills and we are on the 75%ep/25% hills stage now.

Once he's used to all ep I'm going to start adding things like sardines/eggs/mince etc to give him a bit of variety...

Ren