What Are Dolers Feeding Their Dogs

I feed my two BARF, thinking of changing too the prey model diet as it looks good.

One of mine was exceptionally picky, and he looked terrible when growing up, he just wouldnt eat and i could not not feed him for a couple of days because he was already that thin. He loves his food now, and although he is looking rangy at the moment (hot days dont agree with his stomach) he looks brilliant through winter!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

have a nearly 4 month old doberman pup.

im feeding wheet bix with a mix of puppy milk and water for breakfast

a bit of vegimite toast somedays for a treat

a little bit of puppy can food with puppy supercoat for dinner

and either puppy milk,water and brown rice for supper or a commercial puppy porrige

Problem not one part of this diet is suitable for a large breed puppy nor any pup really & the diet plays the most important part for the first 12 months.

What did the breeder suggest??

I too am not a fan of supercoat but you can most certainly add more meat to the diet,chicken necks,frames & flaps,natural yoghurt,tuna.

Bonnie working dog puppy dry would be a better quality for the cheaper side & should set you back about $35 for 20kg,the bonnie working dog (adult) is also better than supercoat for $36 for 20 kg.

We use this in the kennels as many dogs are not use to a premiun dry but we do have premiun here as my own dogs are feed it plus raw.

i have a nearly 4 month old doberman pup.

im feeding wheet bix with a mix of puppy milk and water for breakfast

a bit of vegimite toast somedays for a treat

a little bit of puppy can food with puppy supercoat for dinner

and either puppy milk,water and brown rice for supper or a commercial puppy porrige

i was just wondering whether you think this is a good diet for a growing puppy, and if anyone can offer any tips or advice on a better diet.

Trying not to be rude here but that is one of the worst diets I've ever heard of for a growing pup..or any dog really. Please do a search or read other posts here about a suitable diet for your pup.

There is very little in that diet that is of any use at all to your dog.

At one point supercoat was a decent food IMO but in the last couple of years it is horrible stuff. Your pup doesn't need cereal or milk porridge either.Toast with Vegemite is a way to get vitamin b into them,you could use any liquid vitamin that is sold for children such as pentavite if your worried about vitamins.

I find many apparently 'premium' foods not good for my dogs as in it dries the coat and gives them a extra doggy smell.Great for reducing poo though.

So for me it is BONNIE working and BONNIE puppy. Fresh bones/yoghurt/egg/cheese and the occasional tin of tuna oil and Apple cidar Vinegar.

All this scattered throughout a fortnight. :D

Good Luck.

Edited by Delkerabo

As some other posts, you have to set the rules. If the pooch is not eating the food you gave him, take it away & put it down again in a couple of hours. Don't get to concern if they don't eat it, they will eventually eat it when they know that you're not offering anything else.

I would say, raw food is much more appealing ( mince meat / mince chicken necks ), I mix it with a bit of rice / pasta, add egg & yogurt, also chopped raw carrot / peas and I gave them fruit treats ( green apple, watermelon & mango are their fav ). I also give them raw bone from the butchers to chew on during the day when I'm at work. I also gave fish once a week ( canned tuna / salmon ). They all loves it.

All my dogs are fed a raw prey model diet and do exceptionally well. I will NEVER, EVER return to feeding processed food. The advantages are just too great for feeding raw - super clean teeth, sleek shiny coat, excellent health and weight and no vet visits. My Cavy's crippling arthritis even cleared up after the diet change and 6 1/2 years later, at the age of 14 he's still showing virtually no sign of arthritis!

Their diet consists of a variety of animal parts from a variety of animals including chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, pork, kangaroo, whole raw fish, goat, and any others I can find. They also get whole raw egg in shell a couple of time a week.

My dogs and I are VERY happy feeding this way!

Edited by hopenfox

thanks for all your opinions kaiser doesn't just get that, he also has fresh bones to chew on and vegies once a week sometimes every second week, he gets a boiled egg a week and has calcuim powder and fish oil sprinkled over his dinner. and he really loves kangaroo meat, it comes preminced with lamb he gets this as a treat. this just seems to work really well for him, i have gotten many comliements on how healthy he is and how great his coat looks.

im going to start giving him chicken neaks and frames, i was just worried because ive heard a couple of stories of pups catching selmonela, he is no longer getting wheetbix for breakfast. and i was giving him diluted puppy milk as a treat as he loves it.

thanks

They prey model diet does actually sound more logical to me - is there any literature 'against it', as opposed to feeding the BARF diet?

To me it does seem to make sense that they eat more MEAT and not just bones with meat...?

Boilded eggs area waste,you give them raw.

and he really loves kangaroo meat, it comes preminced with lamb he gets this as a treat.

Unfortunately this part of the diet shouldnt be a treat but a much needed part of healthy growing.

Chicken necks & disease is all about hygiene & the same applies to your roo,mutton or beef.

Many dogs can have a healthy looking coat on the worst diets but in your case the diet is more important for growing correctly.If the dog doesnt have the right diet it can affect its growth etc etc & then long term you increase the risk of vet bills etc etc.

You dont have to spend a fortune but the current diet has no nutriental value at the most crucial stage of its life .

Puppy milk is also a waste & what you spend on the puppy milk would be better spent on meats or a better quality dry.

What you have to look at is with chciken necks you get natural calcium so you dont need to use supplements.

If you add sardines tuna again there your fish supplement.

Puppy milk gives you nothing but it costs around $5-6 .Thats a bag of necks that would last a awhile or frames chopped into halves to last awhile aswell.

Thats the way you look at what you feed & what you spend

hi everyone, im having trouble feeding my furkids... i think im being too lenient though :( but anyways... i was just wondering if anyone has fed their dogs scottys premium meat rolls... and if you know where to get them and how much they are? :(

i have gotten many comliements on how healthy he is and how great his coat looks.

Jessca, most pups will look healthy at his age as long as they are fed enough calories to keep meat on their bones. But by feeding them a quality diet, you are ensuring a healthy future. Even with the additions of a boiled egg, calcium powder and minced roo and lamb as a treat, you aren't setting him up for a healthy future, in fact you're doing quite the opposite.

Your puppy would be far, far better off being fed a diet of good quality puppy kibble and Natures Gift tinned food. That would give him all the nutrients he needs and be easy for you to obtain and feed. Then you could add in things like sardines, eggs, bones etc as treats.

The prey model diet does actually sound more logical to me - is there any literature 'against it', as opposed to feeding the BARF diet?

BARF feeders seem to be under the wrong impression that dogs are omnivores when it has been scientifically proven that they are carnivores and their digestive systems are too short to digest veggies. All literature 'against it' seems to focus on the 'dogs are omnivores' thing.

To me it does seem to make sense that they eat more MEAT and not just bones with meat...?

Yes - would a wolf (dog) look at a deer and think 'Whoah! Look at all that bone!'...of course not it would be 'Look at all that MEAT!'. Plus most large prey animals have bones that are too large or hard to eat, so bone does take up only around 10% of the overall diet (with 80% meat and 10% offal (half of which should be liver).

So what about the BARF claim that wolves would regularly eat the stomach contents of the herbivores they kill - mushed up veg?

If you have ever watched wolves with a kill. They actually shake the contents of the stomach out. So they would actually get very little of the matter that is actually in the stomach of any herbivores that they catch.

When I had only Misha {got her as an 8 week old pup} she ate chicken necks, weetbix with water, natures gift puppy food {as i was working full time driving a truck} Than as she got older she went to the natures gift adult and would eat what ever we had going- spag bog, mash spuds, vegies etc. :laugh:

When milo arrived I tried the same things with him but discovered that he was allergic to chicken. :rofl:

Natures gift has little flat packs that say beef and cheese or beef and vegies etc but they also have in little tiny writing on the pack that they stilll include chicken. :cry:

The poor little bugger was getting sores all over his mouth and was throwing up and in a terrible state till i discovered what the problem was.

So now both of them eat eukanuba vet diet Response potato based dry food they also have marrow bones and pigs ears, pigs snouts , and beef chews and the occassional lamb chop . Even though the 2.72 kilo bag is about $30 a bag it last them almost 3 weeks as i mix cat tuna with it {lucky for me he's not allergic to that} :rofl:

Milo is like a little hoover when it comes to food and races around the dinner table when we knows tucker time is almost to be served :rofl:

What happens in the wild is not always best though! Not sure I want my dogs to look like a skanky wild dog. I imagine most wolfies would be happy to chow down on some veggies if offered. lol.

Just try to avoid feeding stuff that is bad for them. Like preservatives, artifical colours etc. And let what your dog looks like be the judge of how you feed.