Pulling Out Tufts Of Fur By Hand

My samoyed is 18 months old and in the peak of condition. He recently had a check up at the vet while getting his annual shot and got a glowing health report.

Being a samoyed, of course I'm used to fur being everywhere. Ive noticed lately I can pull out large tufts of fur with my fingers, and with minimal ease (he hardly reacts or feels it). This particularly happens down around his thighs/side of legs, where his undercoat and outer guard hairs seem seperate (he looks like only undercoat in this area). Just reach in and I can lightly pull out tufts of thick fur.

Is this just his way of shedding in summer and regulating coat growth? While walking on Friday I pulled out a HUGE handful...I brush him once a week and get a shopping bag full out of him.

He still has lots of fur and there's no bare patches or anything.

He's probably just losing his winter coat. My Maine Coon cat has been shedding fur like nobodies business lately and as she hates being brushed, I've resorted to pulling out the loose undercoat by hand, which she doesn't mind at all.

That totally normal, You just arn't getting enough undercoat out with whatever you are currently using. One of the best rakes I find is the el cheapo 'Stylemaster deluxe FINE rake' its all of $10 and you can get one at petstock. Other wise I use a V-Rake but you probably wont get one of them here I had to buy mine from America. And not to forget the Mars Coat King. An invaluable tool but you will pay between $50-$70 depending on what model.

A hydrobath and blowdry on a regular basis is a good way to keep this under control.

That totally normal, You just arn't getting enough undercoat out with whatever you are currently using. One of the best rakes I find is the el cheapo 'Stylemaster deluxe FINE rake' its all of $10 and you can get one at petstock. Other wise I use a V-Rake but you probably wont get one of them here I had to buy mine from America. And not to forget the Mars Coat King. An invaluable tool but you will pay between $50-$70 depending on what model.

A hydrobath and blowdry on a regular basis is a good way to keep this under control.

Hi, I'm guessing by your name you are experienced in this.

I find no matter how much I rake/slicker/comb him, there's always more undercoat to get out. And I have an excellent rake; double row of teeth (one row short the other row long) that does a great job of removing loose fur. After 30 minutes of this I then use slicker to get any loose fur left on the outer coat, then the shedding coat for any leftover stuff.

But I'm not exaggerating here. I could rake him non-stop until Christs' Second Coming and still get lots of fur out of him. :rofl:

Edited by samoyedman

Very very very normal! It is the BEST therapy for me, to sit and hand pluck a Keeshond! LOL

Once or twice a year they do it.......My guys normally start early December.

I dont worry about stripping it too much, but when the undercoat has started to lift from the skin, then I give them a nice warm bath and blow dry. Just dont open your mouth when you are drying :rofl:

Edited by Rysup

Hi samoyedman

Welcome to the world of double coated breeds :rofl:

We have Akita's

We find the shedding starts at leg and move upward like the tide !

No dog is the same though our Girl Bella sheds like this all of the sudden and huge handfuls but Mason is more time consuming bathing and stripping every week 4 weeks now and still shedding top coat now !

I prefer Bella's coat it sheds fast HUGE and quick Mason's seems to go on forever.

I am sick of vacuuming twice daily in the house and getting a full barrel every time ! :rofl:

Samoydeman bathe weekly and Blow dry if you have a blaster and brush brush brush !!

Honestly I could be still blow drying and grooming Mason now and still get hair 8 hrs later. :rofl:

Our Akita's love the attention and grooming especially Mason ! :rofl:

But it does stop snowing hair and all is good.

Kind Regards

Malisa

post-4863-1200232575_thumb.jpg

Mason in Coat

I've noticed Stevie seems to be shedding an extra load of under-coat fur in the last couple of days, since we've had these few hot days in Sydney.

I put a rubber glove on one hand and rub it through her while brushing with a rubber-backed human brush with the other hand, it seems to pull out a lot.

One warning though, I did this on the cat and heaps of fur came out, but she struggled a lot. When I rubbed my own skin with the rubber glove, it got so hot it was burning! It might work ok on Stevie's big bum, rubbing over a wider area with lots of fur. Not so good on little critters!

Very very very normal! It is the BEST therapy for me, to sit and hand pluck a Keeshond! LOL

Once or twice a year they do it.......My guys normally start early December.

I dont worry about stripping it too much, but when the undercoat has started to lift from the skin, then I give them a nice warm bath and blow dry. Just dont open your mouth when you are drying :laugh:

I also find it great therapy. I love pulling out the tuffs from our Elkhounds. At our place it is almost a constant job as they don't seem to blow their coat at the same time. I also do the same as Rysup.