Is Pork Ok For Dogs?

laffi

I always used to steer well clear of Pork after hearing all the terrible things about it, but recently I came across a bargain at a butcher too good to refuse.

I started introducing the raw pork in small pieces with their normal meals and slowly increased the portion size. There were no problems at all and now I buy pork whenever I can find it cheap.

Hope enjoying a pork hock;

post-6062-1200435618_thumb.jpg

Pepper gets pigs ears occasionally and some dried pork. I tried to feed her raw pork once but that gave her sloppy poos, so won't be trying that again! Funny thing is that she doesn't get the same runs when she eats the dried pork.

I thought that lamb has a similiar fat content to pork and would produce the same effects, but Pepper is totally fine on lamb and loves it!?!?

Yes Hormones are not used in Australia, it was banned years ago, so cant compare to American stats on chicken really.

Dr Bruce Syme is Australian.

If all Australian chickens are now antibiotic and hormone free, why would a butcher advertise on a large board in front of his shop that his chicken is antibiotic and hormone free? He should not have too if it is the norm one would think? :)

I believe trichonosis is no longer a problem - that's why in the TV ads for pork they suggest cooking it so it's still a bit pink. I don't often feed my dogs raw pork, only because I tend to give them mostly chicken & lamb, occasionally beef, but they do get pig's ears and smoked snouts with no ill-effects (but then, poodles have cast-iron stomachs!) :)

Yes Hormones are not used in Australia, it was banned years ago, so cant compare to American stats on chicken really.

Dr Bruce Syme is Australian.

If all Australian chickens are now antibiotic and hormone free, why would a butcher advertise on a large board in front of his shop that his chicken is antibiotic and hormone free? He should not have too if it is the norm one would think? :D

It's just advertising :laugh: Much like avocados are advertised as cholesterol free - plants don't produce cholesterol!! :D (OK sorry, there are minute amounts of cholesterol in plants.)

So just because one claim is made, doesn't mean the reverse of the claim would be legal.

Lola (mature dal) eats pig head, other bones eg tailbone + pelvis, trotters, upper leg bones, and flesh without problem. She tolerates the fat fine but I would trim a roast of most fat for weight control. I buy a pork shoulder when the price is right and feed 3-4 meals off it.

It's good to start any new meat variety off slowly and in small quantities until tolerance is obvious.

Have fed pork happily with no ill effects. Mind you my little monster has an iron stomach!

Laffi will LOVE the pigs head!!!!!!

I gave them the pig's head and they did LOVE it with no ill effects whatsoever.

Highly recommended!

Have fed pork happily with no ill effects. Mind you my little monster has an iron stomach!

Laffi will LOVE the pigs head!!!!!!

I gave them the pig's head and they did LOVE it with no ill effects whatsoever.

Highly recommended!

A pig's head is unfortunately bigger than Pepper herself, so I think I'll be giving that a miss!!! :)

Not to mention my squeamishness at seeing a dead pig head!!!! :p :cry:

some dogs will desplay an alergic reaction to pork and or chemicals contained in the meat. same as lots of dogs have a reaction to beef, i feed it and they love it, my girl gets lamb instes as she comes out in hot spots if given pork.