Premium Dry Dog Food

I personally don't like Hills...however i can't argue how well my dogs and cats have gone on it when they've had it (have gotten it cheap/free from work on occasions) - the only thing they didn't go well on was the Hills light...my dogs had sloppy poos from it :)

Basically check out your options/price range etc...which you like the sound/details of and give it a try...go by your dogs reaction to the food and their condition and poo - if all is great then stick with it...if you think it could be better then try something else. As has been said in this thread, and my sig...go with what works for your dog :)

Hi Dolers,

i am looking at changing my dogs dry food from a supermarket brand to a more premium brand.

My vet has recommended Hills science Diet, but i have heard a lot of bad feedback about this feed & would like some other suggestions & reccommendations.

Baileys mum

Hi I wouldnt go hills

my goldens are on Proplan and they do well on that, but I have fed advance as well

regards

Iamgoldn

have a great weekend

Proplan for my lot- apart from miss allergic to everything

One of mine absolutely loves supercoat and does really well on it too( she gets this as an addition to her proplan as a special treat) I wont feed just supercoat, don't think it has enough of what they need..

Mine wont eat advance-

I love evrything about proplan.

Proplan for us

My dogs used to eat proplan, then changed to IAMS, then to Advance, in between I tried them on Eukanuba, they didn't like it, lucky i only got a 3kg bag and not wasted too much money, the vet said they didn't eat it cause there isn't enough flavour in it.

I love the Rehydratable Advance, and Petbarn currently has a sale on it, buy one get one free... So im stocking up for puppy season!

Your vet will "push" the HSD - vet's make a HUGE markup on it. My guys do well on Royal Canin, But also thrive on Purina Chicken & Oatmeal from the supermarket

actually, this is incorrect. Food is pretty much the least marked up thing and vet make the least amount of money from selling it.

Ditto, stocking food is actually a total waste of money in a Vet Practice, and there is a better markup on Royal Canin than there is on Hills.

We actually encourage our clients to buy the food as economically as possible for them and that usually means a 14 or 18 kg bag, which we lose out on, compared to the markup on the smaller sized bags.

Mel.

Feed what your dog does best on, not what others believe it should be fed,it may not be best for your dog.

:(

:(:laugh:

Totally agree and it can take a while to find that special food...

Ollie has a natural diet but we add HSD UD (he had kidney and bladders stones once, years ago, and once removed they have not come back - I believe due to diet changes).

He eats

Chicken, Tuna (fresh, not canned), beef as well as roo and venison when we can get it.

He eats heaps of veges but at the moment he is being fussy and only eating sweet potato and zucchini but is happy to have a little spinach sometimes. I never give pasta but if he is ill, (he has cancer) I will give him a home made chicken broth with a little meat and a small amount of rice - it is pretty soupy.

We always get comments on his coat and how well he looks. We were only at the vet yesterday and he has a bowel infection at the moment but even the vet comments on how well he looks...

Best of luck finding the right diet, it can be really difficult sometimes but you will get heaps of great advice here.

Jodie

I was feeding EaglePack Holistis but now due to change in circs need to find a cheaper alternative, but not cheap and nasty.

Need a food that does Not have beef,lamb, pork, fish in it

Has anyone used etiher Supercoat Special Care Sensitive or Advance Turkey and Rice on a dog with a sensitive tummy and had no problems with them.Feel free to pm me

I have tried a few different brands and recommend Royal Canin, Advance and Natural Balance, but I keep going back to Proplan... the dogs love and so do I... especially for what comes out the other end, so much less to pick up and so much less smelly!!!

I have never tried Hills Science but I do know of many dogs that dont like it for some reason..

It all depends on your budget and what your dog likes. Try a few different brands (for at least a couple of months each) and see which one works for you both.

Availibility is also important.

We had Bakari on hills as that's what the breeder feeds. I've switched him to Eagle Pack Holistic large breed puppy (roughly the same price just have a bit of a drive to get it). He has gone from doing 2-3 poos a day (one day's worth would fill the pooper scooper) to 1 a day!

He's only been on the Eagle Pack for about 2 weeks so haven't noticed shiny coat or anything yet but I'm much happier in the poo department!

I feed Hills Prescripton Diet W/D to my two to keep their weight down but I only use it as a base to their foods.

I add in a different fresh ingredient every day including chicken necks, sardines, scrambled eggs, vegtables, fruit, kidney etc.

Maybe I am a snob but I would never feed them dried supermarket food and never ever any that are all different colours.