Worming - Heartworm, All Wormer, Fleas

pennyw74

What is the best worming treatment for puppies - a 10 week old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

The breeder had wormed her with Drontal - intestinal all wormer. I am going to give her another Drontal tablet tonight.

Is there any brand that's better than others?

I don't know if she has worms but this is the usual two weekly dose for puppies up until three months.

I know I have to start her heartworm prevention in two weeks, so should I get one of those all in one chews or is this not as good as the separate medication.

Also - flea treatment? What is the best way to go here?

I am new to puppies and want to do everything right for her.

Thank you.

post-22688-1202447559_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All i would be worried about at present is heartworm.

Your vet may suggest the yearly jab for this.many of us do not recommend it .

At present you can simply use the daily tablets from the supermarket/stockfeeds & these are perfectly suitable,the monthly heartguard chews.

I would also phone your breeder & ask what they suggest.Maybe they have a recoomendation in the puppy folder??

Vets will only recommend what they sell .

Our dogs are heartwormed monthly but we dont do flea treatment,we dont have fleas so find no reason to treat what isnt there after all it is a chemical ..

The only time i do apply a product is when i fly east for shows & thats more because im not sure what the other animals on the flights are like.

Your pup doesnt need worming again til 12 weeks. Should have been done at 8 weeks last time. (2,4,6,8...12 weeks)

I am not sure why heartworm hasnt started yet, mine get their first one at 6 weeks.

I use the cheaper products on the market as I dont believe in paying alot more for the same thing just to have pretty packaging :thumbsup:

"Canine Allwormers" for intestinal worms every 3 months

"Valueheart" monthly heartwormers (which last 6 weeks in the system actually)

NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER GET THE ANNUAL HEARTWORM INJECTION...................

Depending on what area you live you will need to think about flea & tick treatments, "Advantage" for non tick areas & "Advantix" for Tick areas I would suggest.

When you are looking at buying your products remember that you will pay twice as much for most things at your Vet, there are many good online stores including Priceless Pets far far far cheaper. ;)

I went with my vets recommendations at 8 weeks - she go wormed (with 'TROY') for roundworm each fortnight until 12 weeks. This is all she has had had and all she will have unless she has worms or fleas.

However, heartworm is not so prevalent here as it is in some other states.

I have always used Popantel All wormer till 3 mths of age then switched over to Sentinel Spectrum( does heartworm and all worms) and if you buy online at pricelesspets.com.au it will cost you about 1/2 the price you pay at the Vets,

I also use Frontline Plus as we go to obedience clubs and dog shows

Cavandra, why Never ever use the heartworm injection?

Because of the problems associated with it.

Your vet should be informing you of the pros/cons of this product .

We have in our paperwork under no circumstances do we recommend it .

Never just accept what a vet suggests without asking the risks etc etc.People should make themselves aware of a product before using it

I use Advocate monthly topical treatment on my 2 Australian Terriers, It Kills fleas, Kills flea larvae, prevents heart worm, controls intestinal worms ( except for tapeworm )contols demodectic mange, controls sarcoptic mange, controls ear mites & controls lice, all in one monthly treatment.

I love it because it saves me from having to buy separate products & you can treat them for everything all at once. I just have to give them some Drontal every couple of months for the tape worm.

You can start giving it to puppies from 7 weeks old. Buy the one in the dark green pack that says for small dogs & puppies.

I've been treating my dogs with this for a couple of years now & have not had any problems at all :bottom:

Cavandra, why Never ever use the heartworm injection?

It is a dangerous product, causing various issues, including seizures & death.

The manufacturer acknowledges this, and it was never designed to be given routinely like it is being given here in Australia. It was always ONLY for dire circumstances where a dog/owner can not administer the medication any other way.

Our product here is a 12 month dose, yet USA, Canada, were using Proheart6 which was 6 monthly injection, that product was taken from the market due to adverse side effects, yet here in Australia our Vets continue to use it, and our product is THREE times the dosage (not twice, but THREE) of their product :rofl:

Many dogs have symptoms caused by this product, but Vets & owners are not putting two & two together, symptoms could show up 3 months after the shot for example.........also some dogs appear to have no symptoms for years of having this shot until suddenly one year they start having seizures ........again Vets/owners dont associate the vaccine with the disorder or death.

Why is Sentinel Spectrum so much more expensive than Interceptor Spectrum?

They read almost the same except that Sentinel treats fleas, too. Is that the only difference that makes it double the price?

Also, I have read that you should get your dog tested for heartworm before treating them but do you have to get puppies tested, too or is it only if you're starting to treat older dogs? I thought that under a certain age, you just started treating for it automatically.

Oh, and another thing, my puppy is only around 2kg. Are these heartworm treatments ok for her? Most of them say for between 4 - 11kg.

Edited by pennyw74

Sorry for all the questions but I've also been recommended Advocate by a friend of mine but this doesn't do tapeworm and is a spot on treatment, rather than a tablet.

What are people's opinions on this product?

What would you use to prevent tapeworm in this case?

Sentinel Spectrum is more expensive because it does treat for fleas! I have found it to be a very good product. I don't use spot on treatments because my dogs love to swim and get wet, so found an oral treatment much more effective. I would use an all wormer that does tapeworm as well, it is just simpler and is one less tablet you have to give and remember!