After Some Suggestions On Meat To Feed

Norskgra

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend gave us some venison steaks once and we couldn't bring our selves to try it so gave it to the dogs.They wouldn't even touch it either.

I know what you mean. i went to a formal dinner and for the main course we had a choice of Bambi or Flipper. I ended up skipping the main course. :D

I dont feed much rabbit they are $15 for ONE Rabbit here LOL

Dont know where you can get goat & Deer meat from???

The butcher I am getting the rabbit from sells them for $10 for a wild one and $20 for farmed.

I don't know where you can get goat from but I know that Stapleton butchers at Sutherland has venison/deer.

Which butcher is that? Id be interested in trying some rabbit with mine for something different.

Bush's at Roselands. Other Bush's would probably have them too. I don't normally buy my meat from there but I remembered a friend saying that she had got rabbit from Roselands and I guessed it was them. I rang them and they had some.

Edited by Norskgra

What about skin off chicken breast?

She can eat chicken breast if i remove the skin and any fat.

I really want to give her some variety. If she goes off her food, which is normal if they are in whelp, I want to have a few foods that I can give her.

Jed:

Horse. Goat

I have a few ethnic butchers around us so I should be able to get goat.

Edited by Norskgra

Not eating BAMBI???!!! Are you guys CRAZY!!! Venison is absolutely DELICIOUS!!! :love::eek:

Geez, just because Walt Disney didn't make a movie about cows...... :laugh: :laugh:

Realise that the Elkhounds alerted to Moose ;) I always think "traditional" under these circumstances -Newfoundlands, PWDs and a lot of other "sea-faring" or "ice" dogs always got a lot of fish in their diets - just out of necessity. No doubt Elkhounds did as well but if Moose was the hunting game, no doubt they would have recieved the off-cuts?

When I first got a Tibetan Terrier, I emailed this guy in the US to inquire as to how he manages to feed a vegetarian diet to his dogs and why. He told me it was it "traditional" as Tibetans were Buddhists and as such were vegetarians so didn't kill animals to feed their dogs!!!! :thumbsup:

What a load of codswallop!!!! :(:)

If you looked at the history of the breed or any Tibetan dog, although Tibetans are indeed Buddhists, the vege factor is complete BS. Tibetans DO eat meat *still* (or anything they can get their hands on) and Buddhist/vegetarian thing has only been a principle of Buddhism during the last couple of hundred years whilst the breed is said to be around 2000 years old!!!! Point being, this guy is completely sucked in by Western Buddhism ( no offense to the religion whatsoever - I have many Buddhist friends and we have discussed this principle a length). AndWestern Buddhism dictates a vegetarian diet. Don't want to completely get into a discussion about religion so I'll leave it there. Just fascinating how some people think.

Goat is good Norskgra. Just make sure the actual cut you get is not fatty. We have eaten our own goats (AGAIN FOLKS - DELICIOUS!!! :rofl: ) and if they have been desexed as young males, they can be very fatty.

Cheers ;)

I remember when I used to insure ostriches they were touted as one of the leanest meats you could get - the boom in ostrich farming has long gone but may be worth looking into for soemthing different

We had ostrich at an ostrich convention at Jupiters - HUGE piece of meat!

Okay, we can cross rabbits off the list. I only gave her a couple of peices of one and it really went straight through her. :) Her bowel motions were completely runny and ended up just like water.

Edited by Norskgra

Try a halal is that how it's spelt? Butcher for goat we have several down here (which is no use to you at a;:rofl: and all of them sell goat. My old girl had the same problem with Kangaroo not nice with a long haired dog.... :)

What about a lean cut of pork? I know some dogs can't stomach it but if she's in whelp and picky it might be worth a try. Lamb back strap? LOL all very expensive cuts of meat admittedly. Venison would be worth a try I would think.

Try a halal is that how it's spelt? Butcher for goat we have several down here (which is no use to you at a;:rofl: and all of them sell goat. My old girl had the same problem with Kangaroo not nice with a long haired dog.... :)

What about a lean cut of pork? I know some dogs can't stomach it but if she's in whelp and picky it might be worth a try. Lamb back strap? LOL all very expensive cuts of meat admittedly. Venison would be worth a try I would think.

Thanks NC. Money is not important, espeially with her. She will eat her dry without ay problems but I like to give her meat and bones occasionally. We hae a few Halal butchers around us, so I will try them. It isn't confirmed yet that she is in whelp but she is definately showing the signs.

Fingers crossed for pups! I know you've had a few problems. The halal places sell all sorts of meats you wouldn't expect and often sell lamb and beef that have had the fat striped off all ready. So worth a try. Silly idea but what about shell fish? Our old girl went wild for crab and oysters.....not that she got them very often mind you but they're very lean and never upset her stomach.