Skin Issues

rizenstar

Get rid of the wool mat bedding, wool can cause allergies. CORN, & all grains contained in dry foods, plus rice & pasta are also Known allergens.

Also Vaccines most certainly CAN & DO cause itchy dogs, but usually it becomes a problem after a few years of build up, rather than instant skin rashes etc.

My Staffords make short work of bones so we have to be careful in what bones we give them, we don't give them any small type of bones or ones that have little nobby bits they could choke on and I guess we have just followed on with our Amstaffs, we have some friends that don't feed bones at all(my guys would think their world had ended lol) we find giving the brisket and lamb shanks to pups that are teething as we feel that it helps getting those tough baby teeth out(rather bones than my furniture)

Get rid of the wool mat bedding, wool can cause allergies. CORN, & all grains contained in dry foods, plus rice & pasta are also Known allergens.

Also Vaccines most certainly CAN & DO cause itchy dogs, but usually it becomes a problem after a few years of build up, rather than instant skin rashes etc.

I wasn't aware that Vaccines sometimes cause allergies until some friends informed us last week at a show, his wool mat is now out of his bed :( I thought it may have irritated him but as he only sleeps in there of a night and doesn't seem to scratch when in his crate I thought it may have been ok. Thanks for the advice :rofl:

I would agree with Leema, allergies can flare up after repeated exposure so totally novel food items are a (relatively) easy option, and I would also see a dermatologist, GP's aren't usually too up on latest knowledge and in my experience a bit scared of skin cases. Good luck.

Wa this dog raised at your previous residience & if so did he scratch there or more so at your new residience??

Is he red & itchy at any particular time or all the time

The grasses are very similar, mainly being kikuya(can't spell) and a little bit of kouch(once again can't spell :) ) his scratching is the same and the only time he doesn't really scratch is when hes getting tired or whilst hes playing, its when he stops playing that he starts his scratching - if that makes sense.

Im going to take him to a new vet(to us) tomorrow and see if I can make them do what I want - skin scraping being one of the first things. Should I be giving him any evening primrose oil, zinc or antihistimine? (i've read ppl use those)

Thanx again everyone :laugh:

I can sympathise... I have an itchy 6month old puppy too...

Dermatologists will insist you do a food trial before they skin test, and even then they prefer to wait till the dog is atleast 11months old before they will do it (thats what the two here said anyway). A food trial needs to go for atleast 12 weeks, 6 weeks isn't enough to guarantee it isn't a food issue.

My boy seems worse after running and rolling around in kikeyu grass - when its wet it is worse...

As for antihistamines, one dermatologist has had success, the other hadn't. But it's definately worth a try. I find adding antihistamines with Orbits cortisone means we can really keep the amount of cortisone we give down. Adding fatty acids like Evening Primrose Oil can help with the antihistamines to work a little better.

As for skin scraping, demodex generally doesnt cause intense itching. Scabies mites do, however as they burrow deep they rarely show up on scrapings. We treated Orbit with Revolution every 2 weeks for 6 weeks under instructions from the dermatologist to rule out scabies.

Goodluck with the new vet - hopefully you'll get some answers and some relief!!

Kikuya is a known allergen.

I'd try the Vit C to boost his immune system. And I'd have a scraping done for demodex, or get a savvy vet to check him out.

Natural diet, no grains, no pasta. I have found a general vitamin supplement - Polyvite, made by Rudducks, and available at big pet shops very good for itches. It contains linolinic (sp?) acid which is excellent for skin health. I have found with rescue dogs that adding it to the food seemed to help most of them ..... and if it doesn't, it certainly wont hurt.

I have discovered that my girl has a break out the day after we have had the sprinkler on (we are allowed twice a week here :rolleyes: ) It takes her about 3 or 4 days to get over it too. If your dog has sore patches from scratching I would try and apply some Pawpaw ointment to help the healing process. It works for my girl.

Oh we also have kikuyu here.

Well everyone, we went to the vet yesterday - its not any type of mange :noidea: a couple of his lymph nods are a bit swollen so he is on some antibiotics and he sold us some more shampoo( :laugh: ) and tells us that we should only feed him dry food(hills sensitive) but we told him we would wait and see how the antibiotics and "new" shampoos go. He thinks it could be contact allergy but can't understand why his paws are fine and his belly is red raw.

Fingers crossed that this works for us - Thank you everyone so much for your thoughts, if you have any others let us know :confused:

can't understand why his paws are fine and his belly is red raw.

'praps because he can LICK stuff off his paws and/ or, paws/pads are the only bits which have sweat glands (afaik) , so this sweat would help carry away substances ?........

Hopefully the antibiotics help :confused:

Edited by persephone

can't understand why his paws are fine and his belly is red raw.

'praps because he can LICK stuff off his paws and/ or, paws/pads are the only bits which have sweat glands (afaik) , so this sweat would help carry away substances ?........

Hopefully the antibiotics help :confused:

The skin on paw pads is also a lot tougher than belly skin.

Well everyone, we went to the vet yesterday - its not any type of mange :noidea: a couple of his lymph nods are a bit swollen so he is on some antibiotics and he sold us some more shampoo( :laugh: ) and tells us that we should only feed him dry food(hills sensitive) but we told him we would wait and see how the antibiotics and "new" shampoos go. He thinks it could be contact allergy but can't understand why his paws are fine and his belly is red raw.

Fingers crossed that this works for us - Thank you everyone so much for your thoughts, if you have any others let us know :confused:

The homeopathic vet we have began to see explained that the allergies initially start in the paws and then travel up into the body and that is the same way that they leave the body once the immune system is beginning to work properly.

Honestly I am very much a skeptic of anything new or faddish or alternative, but everything he said to us at the clinic is occuring so I do believe it is working. I mean he isn't fixed yet but if in 6 mths he is itch free and remains that way for life I will most certainly be recommending to absolutely everyone I know.

I do hope that he gets better but if you would like his number rizenstar, even just to have a chat let me know. He is a vet first and foremost and does all the normal vet things like vaccinations etc.

I can completely understand where your homeopathic vet is coming from, as that makes sense but thats the weird thing about Luca, his paws have never been an issue. I've had Staffords that chew their paws to pieces and are flat out walking but he hasn't done this at all :noidea: Im really hoping that these antibiotics help him and I've also been told to give him zinc aswell??? The shampoo that we're trying this time is Malesb and an Aloveen leave in conditioner - heres hoping they work too :confused:

I can completely understand where your homeopathic vet is coming from, as that makes sense but thats the weird thing about Luca, his paws have never been an issue. I've had Staffords that chew their paws to pieces and are flat out walking but he hasn't done this at all :laugh: Im really hoping that these antibiotics help him and I've also been told to give him zinc aswell??? The shampoo that we're trying this time is Malesb and an Aloveen leave in conditioner - heres hoping they work too :thumbsup:

Everything crossed for you and your boy! ;)

Not much to add to all of that has been written. If he is dragging his belly across kikyu then that will aggravate the rash and cause allergies of its own.

I have had good results with 1% cortisone creme, available from chemists, you have to ask because it is kept behind the counter, Ego brand is the most gentle. Apply it to the rash, gently massaging it into the skin. Do this for 3 days then stop. After that use when the rash appears, but for no longer than 3 days at a time.

It's good because it stops the "cycle" of itching.

He also might have a flea allergy, with affected dogs, it only takes one bite, then it sets off the whole generalised allergy thing again.

Definitely no wool or lanolin base cremes.

Another one to watch for is Plumbago, that pretty hedge with sky blue flowers, extremely allergenic.

Another nice one to use is Paw Paw ointment, but since it is plant based, use on a trial skin patch first, its good for the "underarms".