And Yet Another Food Topic....

blackwolf

Hey guys!

Just getting an idea of what you guys feed your dogs when it comes to meat (raw or cooked, doesn't matter) and what bones (shank, brisket etc) you give your dogs.

I've recently heard that you shouldn't give your dogs ANY beef or beef bones, and this is the first time I have ever heard that beef could be harmful for your dog. I know you shouldn't give any animal pork unless it is thoroughly cooked (it is just safer to give them NO pork) but beef??? Has anyone else heard of beef being such a big no-no?

There is a guy in Orange who I've been speaking to, and he has said so long as you give your dog a good quality dog biscuit (ie Advanced - he pushed this one more because it is Aussie made/owned) that's all you really need to do to ensure the dog's health. You don't need to give them any meats or anything else.

Okay, maybe I'm just being an idiot, but I have a big problem with feeding a dog nothing but biscuits.... with the occasional treat used for training. Dogs are carnivores, which in my mind means that need a mixture of different sorts of foods to get the vitamins and minerals they need to ensure a healthy dog.

So my question is: what meats do you feed your dog? And what bones do you give them?

BW.

Edit: corrected something before I made a bigger a** of myself

Edited by blackwolf

I feed chicken frames.

Wouldn't the smaller bones of the frame be dangerous for a larger dog like a Sibe?

I can get ahold of chicken necks, but I'm not so sure about the frames... would have to do some phoning around to butchers in Orange to see what they have.

For many dogs beef can cause the runs & skin issues & has the highest incidience of being an issue with dog.

In our breed to much beef can create another health issue but the other meats can also cause issues for individual dogs.

We dont use beef & it is placed in our puppy packs not to feed it any fashion.

I would believe with sibes a good fish diet is very benefical for the coat.

So dogs can have a problem with beef, hm, never heard that before. Does that apply to beefy bones as well, when they will have very little meat on them? Or is it best to just avoid beef/beef bones altogether?

I will hunt around for the RAW and BARF topics. (On a side note, just what does BARF stand for? I assume it is an acronym for something since I associate BARF with something else :laugh: )

Mine get:

Meaty lamb necks

Chicken quarters

half a chicken

chicken frames and wings

beef and lamb meat

fish heads, fish

Beef rib

Edited by Tess32

Beef is fine. So is pork. Beef femur bones are not as they can shatter dogs teeth.

I feed any bone I can get my hand on that is cheap, not cooked, and not a beef femur. :laugh: I also feed offal and 'just meat' (not attached to a bone).

I've always been told that Pork isn't good to feed to any animal (whether it be cat or dog) unless it is properly cooked because of the parasites in the meat. I think I'm gonna have to look into Beef and Pork a little more, find out where these myths came from that pork can make your pet very sick.

I know any weight bearing bones are to be avoided because of the teeth issue... but it's good to know at least that isn't a myth.

There is a lot of nonsense going around of what you can and can't feed dogs and why, it is IMPOSSIBLE to wade through it all without getting a feeling of being overwhelmed.

There is a lot of nonsense going around of what you can and can't feed dogs and why, it is IMPOSSIBLE to wade through it all without getting a feeling of being overwhelmed.

There a certainly very different opinions around on feeding pork and offal, for fear of hydatid or trichinosis contamination, and some find pork too fatty for their dogs too.

I buy human-grade pork and offal and feed it raw without any problems, but I understand why some still can't trust that.

My dogs get:

Wild rabbit (whole, and a huge favourite)

Chicken (whole, pieces, frames, necks, hearts, livers, feet)

Lamb (off cuts, leg roasts (when cheap), shanks, necks, kidneys, heart, liver)

Beef (off cuts, heart, kidneys, liver, brisket bones)

Pork (roasts (when cheap), tails, hocks, whole legs)

Duck (frames and wings)

Salmon (heads)

Goat (liver, and meat when it's cheap enough)

The only meat they can't tolerate is kangaroo, and it's only one who reacts to it, but it's easier to feed them all the same so I skip it altogether these days. I avoid feeding weight bearing bones from large animals because of the risk of slab fracures of the teeth, but most of the other bones get entirely consumed. They get a BARF mix for the veges occassionally, but less often than most BARF feeders probably. A good kibble is an occassional back-up, in case it's someone other than me feeding them, but here is no doubting they do best on the meat/offal/RMB's.

Thanks for all of your input! I'm getting quite a good idea of what can be fed and what should be avoided. And despite some people here feeding their dogs pork and the dog being alright with it, I think I will just avoid that whole can of worms and skip over pork.

Does anyone feed their dogs diced up rump steak? We used to get that for our cats, but Mr and Miss Fussy decided they didn't want to eat steak anymore (it makes my little boy sick) but it is human grade food. We can get it at a really good price at our butcher.

Thanks again for the great input and keep 'em coming!

I haven't really looked into parasites and I am not too knowledgable - but my understanding is that freezing kills parasites. And almost all my meat is freezed before I feed it. :laugh:

I always say, though, we have to make decisions we can live with. I know plenty of people who feed marrow bones, but I if one of my dogs shattered their teeth on one I'd feel so guilty and can't live with that. ;) So much so I still have a marrow bone in my fridge that I bought before learning about them!

So if pork is too scary for you, don't do it! :thumbsup:

Ours get

roo.. tails/meat

mutton...everything but the intestine... a half sheeps head is considered 'gourmet' cuisine ;)It is quite fatty, mostly, and makes them a bit stinky..but they LOVE it :thumbsup:

beef(when we kill one)..any offcut/bone..and later, the dried hide as chewies;)

rabbits..whole wild ones(minus intestine)

goat..as for sheep

have had pork a couple of times..not popular

the youngsters get chicken bodies/frames/wings ( always frozemn to encourage lots of chewing (I don't use necks in preference .as I am always worried of them being swallowed whole and getting stuck)

When we don't have any meat ( like at the moment) they get Bonnie working Dog.

From what i've read, cooking and freezing doesn't guarantee the hydatids are killed/removed. If feeding non human grade meats and offal, I'd be ensuring the dog is wormed regularly and religiously with a wormer that controls hydatid tapeworms. It's just not worth the risk of death to not do it!

From what i've read, cooking and freezing doesn't guarantee the hydatids are killed/removed. If feeding non human grade meats and offal, I'd be ensuring the dog is wormed regularly and religiously with a wormer that controls hydatid tapeworms. It's just not worth the risk of death to not do it!

We take our pets into the vet whenever they are due for their next worming or vaccination.

And mum just reminded me what we used to do with our dogs for bones. She would get the shin-bone of the lamb and our friendly butcher would cut it into quarters for her, so the bones were much smaller, each dog got their share and they all got some marrow. So if they are still in business, that will be good for the bones.

But I'm not sure where I could get kangaroo meat/tails from. I would have to look into that.