Supplement Feeding

I was just wondering... apart from divetalact and wombaroo...what other supplements have people been successful with (homemade or otherwise)...

The new litter has one weak baby and he could do with a little "personalised care and feeding"...

Cheers

Guest Taerlin

Hi

There is a product called BIOLAC we have used with great success. You can order it through you Vet or BIOLAC WEBSITE and they have distributers that you can get it from

Hope that helps

Terry

Hi,

I have had the misfortune of having to hand raise a litter of 9, then a litter of 7 greyhound babies from birth, after their mother became very ill on both occasions. I really think that divetalac is one of the better products, but I alway put a half teaspoon of YOGHURT into the feed. Make sure it is the natural, live culture, and not an artificial one. good luck with your babies

Julia Brown

We use BIOLAC but I make it up with just a touch of water to get the powder into a paste, and the rest of the mix we use Carnation milk.

Works like a treat, microwave the bottle for 20 secs and feeds the babies.

A vet told me a long time ago that the Carnation milk adds more fat to the mix and helps put the weight on the babies quickly.

And when we cant source BIOLAC, have used Animalac with the same success, using the Carnation milk again in the mix.

Hope this helps your puppy :D

Guest braydnvale

Hi

We have had much success with Biolac GS. To each 600mls we add a 1/4 egg yolk and 1 drop canola oil. Egg yolk adds extra calories, canola oil stops constipation..

We have raised many tiny babies on this, the smallest survivor was 2.75oz (86gms) whereas a normal puppy of our breed is 180-250gms

Joanne

Yep, Biolac. For the bitch too, they won't touch it before whelping but once the first pup is born they love it. I then give the bitch two to three drinks of Biolac a day and then start the pups weening program with Biolac. They just love it. When I needed to hand feed a litter of 8 for 24 hours it was with Biolac and they never waivered.

I don't have a vested interest in Biolac but I wouldn't use anything else.

• 2 years later...
I was just wondering... apart from divetalact and wombaroo...what other supplements have people been successful with (homemade or otherwise)...

The new litter has one weak baby and he could do with a little "personalised care and feeding"...

Cheers

My girl will hopefully be having her 1st litter Oct 1. (to be confirmed) I have spoken to many breeders and ordered in Wombaroo. As I have not needed to do this before now, I have decided to go with what I was told to be better than the other brands. Other breeders have said that they have used different brands with less growth rate than what Wombaroo can do when raising whole litters or supplementing.

Wombaroo is the leading brand that the Zoo's use. I figure that if they think it is good enough for them, then I will give it a go. I have a Rottweiler, if she takes after her Mother /Grand Mother, then I will need it. I ordered in 2 x 5 kg bags for me and another 2 x 5kg bags for a friend.

Good luck with your babies, I have been following your girls progress. She is beautiful, so are her babies. (keep up with the chicken, she needs it, she will eat other food when she is ready)

Check out LEERBURG KENNELS. They breed GSD and highly recommend their homemade puppy milk. Quick and easy, I would have used it if I couldn't get the wombaroo.

Lisa.

Cheers

My girl will hopefully be having her 1st litter Oct 1. (to be confirmed) I have spoken to many breeders and ordered in Wombaroo. As I have not needed to do this before now, I have decided to go with what I was told to be better than the other brands. Other breeders have said that they have used different brands with less growth rate than what Wombaroo can do when raising whole litters or supplementing.

Wombaroo is the leading brand that the Zoo's use. I figure that if they think it is good enough for them, then I will give it a go. I have a Rottweiler, if she takes after her Mother /Grand Mother, then I will need it. I ordered in 2 x 5 kg bags for me and another 2 x 5kg bags for a friend.

Good luck with your babies, I have been following your girls progress. She is beautiful, so are her babies. (keep up with the chicken, she needs it, she will eat other food when she is ready)

Check out LEERBURG KENNELS. They breed GSD and highly recommend their homemade puppy milk. Quick and easy, I would have used it if I couldn't get the wombaroo.

Lisa.

I didn't look at the date, I have no idea how I found this old one any way. Funny timing though.