Need A Cheaper Dog Food !

Where are you located, DiscoBorder?

Some DOLers might know a chicken wholesaler near you.

As a guide, I recently bought a box of frames (about 10kg? there were 30ish of them, I think), 3kg large wings, 3kg minced carcasses and 3kg necks for less than $20.

South-east melb, out near ferntree gully.

I get my frames from Megapet Warehouse in Ringwood, tis less than half an hour from your location if you're not familiar with the area. Leonards is in Thomastown so I only go there to buy em if I'm in the area (I bought a chest freezer for dog food so I buy in bulk lots of 40Kg, which lasts me about a month) but the price difference isn't much between Leonards and Megapet and it's the same quality as Leonards supply Megapet.

Pets at Home is possibly as close or closer to you depending on exactly where you are located.

Starting F/T Uni I also had this problem :mad

I fed my GSD Royal Canin GSD Jr

I fed My mutt Royal Canin Labrador Adult

I have swapped them over to Bonnie puppy and adult. I'd prefer to buy RC, but money can be a problem when your living away from home and studying :shrug:

I also add in Sardines, chicken frames, tuna, plain natural set yoghurt, eggs and any cheapo meat from the meat section in the supermarket. Usually lamb off cuts and offal.

They've been on this new diet for 4 weeks and I havent seen much difference. Apart from slightly larger poos.

I also feed mine Bonnie but I prefer the working dog formula as it is made out of Kangaroo (about $40 for 20kg) they also get chicken frames or raw bones once a week. I get my chicken frames from Springvale for 50c a kilo they have lots of meat still on them including the neck & liver etc.

I have swapped my guys from hill's science diet,which was great but as I was moving became a little expensive when feeding 5 dogs.

I NOW feed Great Barko HERE is the website and it has distributers listed. They love the food and their coats are just as good as on Hills.Only thing is don't feed too much or they get fat very quickly :D

I did try coprice but found their coats went dry and harsh feeling. :mad

I agree sherre_e4 Great Barko or Uncle Albers - :shrug: made by the same company is a favourite for my dogs. Costing only about $27 for 22 kg. It has far less grain than Coprice which is preferable.

Well in the end went to a place that someone suggested nearby in lysterfield/wellington rds.

And decided we will go with a blend of Great Barko and Bonnie working dog. so we got 42 kgs of dog food for about $60 i think.

Thanks again, dogs seem too like it !!

Starting F/T Uni I also had this problem :laugh:

I fed my GSD Royal Canin GSD Jr

I fed My mutt Royal Canin Labrador Adult

I have swapped them over to Bonnie puppy and adult. I'd prefer to buy RC, but money can be a problem when your living away from home and studying :p

I also add in Sardines, chicken frames, tuna, plain natural set yoghurt, eggs and any cheapo meat from the meat section in the supermarket. Usually lamb off cuts and offal.

They've been on this new diet for 4 weeks and I havent seen much difference. Apart from slightly larger poos.

Slightly Off Topic, but you can get minced chicken frames from Leonards at Pheonix Shops for $1.25 a kilo Riverstar, much cheaper than anything in the supermarket.

Back on Topic now - I also feed Bonnie dry food. I find it really good, Gypsy likes it and she has a lovely soft shiney coat (provided she's not covered in filth from running around the back yard! :laugh: ). I also feed minced chicken frames with eggs, pureed apple and pureed veggies mixed in and once a week she gets sardines. I also give her meaty bones when I can get them (the local butcher doesn't have them very often).

Slightly Off Topic, but you can get minced chicken frames from Leonards at Pheonix Shops for $1.25 a kilo Riverstar, much cheaper than anything in the supermarket.

Thanks StaceyB :eek:

I get them chicken frames from lennards at Pheonix. I think last time I got around 32 frames for about 8 bucks :laugh: :p :laugh: