The Disaster Thread

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ohhhh - so YOU'RE jinxing me then!?!?!? :scared:

Its OK LP, 3rd and final pass for Leo on Sunday, I can feel it in my waters, then of course, you wont be welcome in Disaster :laugh:

Well - apparently my previously good herding dog (read, we herd about once a year....) doesn't know what sheep are there for and they MUST be some sort of weird distraction training that mum is trying to trick me with.... LOL!

Well, Benson thought they were there purely to dispense little grass flavoured goodies out their bums, just for him to eat. He showed NO interest in the sheep........until..........SUPERPUPPY!!!!! was let loose and she showed them ALL how to herd the woolly wallies!

Dusty saved the bacon (or would that be lamb chop?) and showed her doofus brother what sheep herding dogs are supposed to do with sheep. She rounded 'em up, cut one loose, chased it around, brought it back then rounded 'em up again. She was AMAZING! And Benson will be a long time living down that little failure.

Okay come to join the losers thread :) Cooper had a bad run in Novice yesterday at Croyton, lil bugger stuffed up every thing except stays :laugh:

I have one black tri Aussie.....Freee to a good home, for any one that wants him :laugh:

he also decided to be a pain out side the ring and sniff the ground like we were there to do tracking instead, and never ending sooking :laugh: he really is not in my good books at the moment :laugh:

the monster has been working 100% perfect at taining too :laugh:

Keeda only has one disaster blow-up point - but it's a big one. Other dogs. I've tried everything I could think of with consistency and yet she insists on running at other dogs to try to play! And if they're smaller dogs and snap at her, she snaps back and that's NOT good. I'm not letting her off a long lead and am constantly practicing her recall, but I don't see any improvement at all >.<

There are far too many dog approach disasters like this to list them all individually :provoke: It baffles me how she can be so darn great at everything that is expected of her except for this one thing - and it just has to be a very BIG thing.

• 1 month later...

Time to resurrect this thread cos I have one of those BIG non-bragging disasters!

Saturday was our clubs graduation. Benson and I were aiming for a pass from Class 2 to Class 3. Our grads are run exactly like obedience trials and the exercises are the same. Ring etiquette is expected to be adhered to and the exercises are scored as if in a trial. In fact, class 2 is the same as CCD.

Benson started off like a dream. He did the best heelwork I have ever seen him do, it was absolutely beautiful. He was totally focussed, didn't leave my side, obeyed the commands immediately, sat straight, dropped straight, stood like a rock etc. etc. Very bragworthy! The stand for examination was excellent. His recall off leash was perfection itself. He even finished the recall like a pro!

We were not only sitting on a pass, but were set to win the ring by a country mile.

Then came the group stays. The undoing of many a fine dog, I believe.

First the GSD broke, then the Aussie Bulldog got up and waddled after him. Then all the rest except the doberman, got up and joined in the play time! Instant disqualification for all but the dobe. Not only did 7 out of 8 dogs break the sit stays, they little buggers all did the sane thing in the down stays! The doberman was the only one to pass.

I coulda strangled my dog. We are now working on long, solid stays with lots of distractions.

I'm currently training my dog in preparation for Open and the little B***H is testing me on the retrieve over the jump on a daily basis! Today for example she ran to the jump, stopped at looked at me. Then on another attempt went over it but came back around it. Or there are days she goes under (I'm using a bar at the moment cos I don't have a solid at home) or through the middle of the two bars!!!

Hi Seita

Try hanging a white towel or sheet over the two bars. She may be focusing on the dumbell through the jump, and she is getting caught in two minds. Make the jump her primary focus. The same could be happening on the return.

Hi Seita

Try hanging a white towel or sheet over the two bars. She may be focusing on the dumbell through the jump, and she is getting caught in two minds. Make the jump her primary focus. The same could be happening on the return.

Gosh I can be stupid sometimes! I don't know why I didn't think of that! :sleep: I've been sitting here thinking about how I could make solid panels for the jump to use instead of bars!! ;) Thanks DD!!! :love:

ETA: I just went and tried that and works a treat! Thanks again!!

Edited by Seita

• 3 months later...

Well, since a few had mentioned this thread, I thought that I would go and find it. Now DogDude can testify that I was at Warrigal's trial with both Tux and Trinket.

I was really happy with what we did in the am trial with Trinket, apart from her blowing her best exercise which is the recall. How dare she just sit there and pretend that she doesn't know how to come.

And as for Tux, lets just say Heel, what does that mean Mum? ... oh you mean when the judges says right about turn, that I do it right there and then and not wait for you to even start to turn.... oops as I nearly trip you over.

Dumbell my fave in Open, lets pretend that it is a footy and I have boof it around a couple of times. Yes we failed getting a pass card, but we still got third place.

cheers

Well here are my disaster duo from the weekend:

Trial 1 - Kinta in Novice (first time)... anyone who has seen us work knows this girl has a pretty good heel pattern on her... well - she could have fooled me! Staying in position on the fig8 was optional, as was keeping up on the turns, particularly RAT as that meant to have a good look around.... full marks for everything else.. infact she would have passed with 188, but the turd dropped in her sit-stay.... grrrr... she seldom drops in a stay, although seems to be making a quick habit of it... and only in the ring mind you! Maybe her mum is giving her the death glare?!!!? :banghead:

Trial 2 - Leo - reasonable round, but nothing flash... he must have read your post Seita as he decided to go around the jump on the return on the ROH... *sigh* Such is life! Why, I have NO idea!

Trial 3 - Kinta - crappy heeling again... admittedly it was hot, but just pretending that she had no idea what heel meant was for the taking today.... missed 2 stand... silly little thing... once again - everthing else was pretty good!

This is just plain disheartening for someone who has a dog that can heel like there is no tomorrow.... why she was so flat I have no idea!

Knox was another Maili day for me. Maili spent the morning heal pattern emulating a drag anchor, while her recall involved giving me a long hard stare.

The afternoon session was doing much better, but with the heat she dropped in the sit stay, turning a 92 into a 72.... sigh....

We don't have anything to brag about either but I was very pleased to get that first one out of the way. Morning was better than the afternoon though, because when the clock ticked past mid-day, Benson lost the ability to drop and sit. Oh yeah, and lets not forget about the scary patch of grass where he was supposed to do his stays!

while her recall involved giving me a long hard stare.

Benson's recall started off just fine.....til halfway down the straight when something smelt good enough to forget about mum waiting patiently at the other end.....and he just wandered off to have a sniff!

Why is it that this evening, when training Benson for the first time since the trial, he did the BEST....and I mean AMAZING!!!! heeling, like he has never done before????

Why couldn't he do this on Sunday?

Do you know - it could be he mightn't be used to training in the morning :rofl:

What time are the classes normally?!

I find that dogs are part feral at night too :rolleyes: :rofl:

Our regular club training is Saturday mornings.....no excuse cos we went in the ring at almost exactly the same time as our training!

But I train him most nights after dinner, I take him to a local park or greenbelt and go through the heeling patterns, the recall, the stand, the various commands and also have a play. We try for various locations as I want him to get used to different sights and smells and passers-by and not be distracted by them. A big ask at the moment though!