Pet Mince From Chicken Shop

My local chicken shop (not Lenards but similer) has started selling chicken pet mince for $1.50 kg or 10 kg for $10. The guy at the shop reckons its just minced frames and chicken off cuts, no liver and no food dye.Has anyone bought pet mince from a chicken shop before?Did your dog like it? I wont buy pet mince from a pet shop but I thoight it should be ok from a chicken shop.

Guest Tess32
I still wouldn't trust it and I'd ask them for the chicken frames before they mix it!

Why? Can I ask?

I just prefer to buy human grade and would prefer the frames over the mince anyway as I

find mince kind of pointless for us now.

My local butcher minces the carcasses for me fresh the day I want them & he gives it to me for $1 a kg......Always get it fresh, as frozen can be dodgey, as many places freeze it when it is almost "off".

Well on your recomendations I went and got 10kg and one dog wolfed it down and the other one the girl spat it out :laugh: I'll just put a bit in with her tea tonite and hope she gets used to it. It only cost $10 anyway :shrug:

Thanks everybody :p

Mine all love it. I make up a mix of cooked rice, veges, garlic, ginger, parsley & the pet chicken mince and add in some fish oil. They all love their food, but when I serve up the chicken mix they literally salivate so much I have to mop up puddles of drool.

Sorry, can't help with mincers - maybe eBay might have something

Dont buy the Kenwood one for around 189, its plastic on the motor bit and has metal lades etc but I killed mine trying to do frames and wings. Have been searching around for another one and it was suggested by a store to get a Kenwood Chef with attachment but I dont think that would be any good. There are some on Ebay but I have never heard of them, commercial ones but they are also around 800.

I far prefer to feed whole chicken frames instead of minced frames - the bones clean their teeth beautifully. I buy the frames from a chicken wholesaler - dirt cheap (and cheaper than Lenards) - frames are then frozen individually and they get one each for breakfast every morning. Yum! :D

I have bought from Lenards, but now I buy from a pet meat shop.

Whole chickens are minced, bones. everything (excluding feathers and feet I guess!). They use the undersized and the bruised etc. Supposed to be preservative free, and I think it is - nice and fresh. I mix it with the veges and other goodies and when I give to to them, it's gone in a flash. They have beef bones as well - some nights are mince and vege nights, some are bones nights. I find it very difficult to buy frames at a decent price, so this suits me well.

My butcher also minces frames, but he sometimes minces "off" chicken (as I find when I open the bags) and it's very fatty, although only $1 kg, so I usually buy the better stuff from the pet food shop.

Yep looked at frames on the weekend 2.50kg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whole chickens are minced, bones. everything (excluding feathers and feet I guess!). They use the undersized and the bruised etc. Supposed to be preservative free, and I think it is - nice and fresh. I mix it with the veges and other goodies and when I give to to them, it's gone in a flash. They have beef bones as well - some nights are mince and vege nights, some are bones nights. I find it very difficult to buy frames at a decent price, so this suits me well.

My butcher also minces frames, but he sometimes minces "off" chicken (as I find when I open the bags) and it's very fatty, although only $1 kg, so I usually buy the better stuff from the pet food shop.

Whole chickens are minced, bones. everything (excluding feathers and feet I guess!). They use the undersized and the bruised etc. Supposed to be preservative free, and I think it is - nice and fresh.

I worked at a processing plant for a short time and unfortunately there are lots of unexpected goodies going into the mincer. I dropped a knife on the wrong belt once, it made a heck of a noise but the mincer got it in the end! While some whole pieces and meat go in it was mostly fat and bone. Undersized were not killed. It was pretty foul (no pun intended) seeing what was dropped in on a busy day.

I used to feed chicken mince but after seeing first hand what goes in for pet supply - no way.

I buy my chicken mince from the chicken shop at Airport West and it is stunningly good!! best I've ever had in 25 years of buying it at various places (both human & pet) - very little fat in it, no preservatives. I've had problems with Lenards (overpriced and underweight) and with some other places (more fat than meat).. The other thing I like about this shop is that they mince it very fine....

I've bought/do buy minced chicken frames from Lenards, BUT Ive tried several Lenards and there is only one I will buy from. The others were just horrid - threw it away. The one I buy from minces while you wait. I guess as they are franchised some know and have dogs and know what they would feed their's and others don't.

Haven't bought from pet food suppliers as those that I've been in didn't have very good looking/fresh minced frames.

I use the mince to make their kibble interesting a few nights a week. For teeth cleaning I give turkey necks and lamb necks.

Edit: my typing is terrible (arthritis)

Edited by benny123