Trimming Fur Between Pads?

Hi All,

New to posting on the forum - read tons of useful stuff over the early weeks with our new pup - great site!

Our pup is a Cavalier and I keep thinking I ought to be trimming the fur between his pads - does anyone have any tips? I'm not sure what sort of scissors are best and how much is sufficient to remove?

He's pretty happy with us touching his paws, so not too worried about actually doing it, I just don't want to do it wrong and make it uncomfortable for him!

Thanks in advance for any tips.....

I am no expert but I would say that if he is happy with you doing it then any pair of scissors would be fine and you should just have a go.

I could be wrong but shouldn't the fur be rubbed off from his normal everyday life of walking around on it? Is the fur actually growing over his pads?

My only experience with this is many years ago with an old corgi. I used to trim the fur on his feet because he wasn't active enough to naturally wear it off himself.

You can buy special scissors with a rounded edge so you don't accidently snip the pads, i would highly recommend these for getting into the pad. I then trim up with a sharp pair around the foot, but if your not showing your pup, this last step would not really be needed.

The hair wont wear away it may wear in patches.

Cavies are suppose to have natural feet (no trimming) but nearly all the cavies we groom we do take there slippers off .

If you have a hairhouse warehouse or similiar they sell 5 inch scissors which are great for feet trimming.They must be sharp otherwsie the hair will clump not cut

Also if you gently pull the hair between the toes down, then cut at level of pads, that will also take out the long hairs from between the toes.

I think foot hygiene is important and you can also reduce the possibility of fungal infections or grass seed embedding by paying close attention to the paws and keeping them trimmed.

I would recommend that if you are going to get into the habit of cutting off the hair on their feet then do it from a young age. Some DOLers on here have me the advice and it was some of the best advice I have had. I tell both of my dogs to sit and roll over. When they are on their backs I just let them lay there and I trim off any skanky bits although I much much much prefer them with hair all over their feet. Once they came back from a groomer with totally shaved feet and I thought my life was over *L* I really love the cavvie look so when I send them to get groomed its really just for a tidy up rather than to have any feathering removed. I think you could use any smallish pair of scissors really. It doesn't matter too much, just don't cut too close to their pads.

Once they came back from a groomer with totally shaved feet and I thought my life was over

:rolleyes: :laugh: cavs feet should be untouched but I always trim off excess hair underneath. I always check with the client whether they want the entire foot trimmed or not, and most of the time they want it all trimmed back, but shaved :laugh:

Once they came back from a groomer with totally shaved feet and I thought my life was over

:rolleyes: :laugh: cavs feet should be untouched but I always trim off excess hair underneath. I always check with the client whether they want the entire foot trimmed or not, and most of the time they want it all trimmed back, but shaved :laugh:

I know I know!!!! Apparently a lot of owners on the coast like their cavs shaved all over due to the heat etc. My husband would not stop going on about it for weeks and everytime I looked at them I wanted to cry. It was my fault though, I wasnt specific enough. Each time they go now, I leave a detailed list; belly and bottom short, ears tidied, tail tidied and feet tidied but NOT cut back. I am really anal. I want my cavs to look like cavs. Thankfully the lady listened to everything I said and does an awesome job. I really cannot tell you how devastated I was when they came back that first time though!

I know I know!!!! Apparently a lot of owners on the coast like their cavs shaved all over due to the heat etc. My husband would not stop going on about it for weeks and everytime I looked at them I wanted to cry. It was my fault though, I wasnt specific enough. Each time they go now, I leave a detailed list; belly and bottom short, ears tidied, tail tidied and feet tidied but NOT cut back. I am really anal. I want my cavs to look like cavs. Thankfully the lady listened to everything I said and does an awesome job. I really cannot tell you how devastated I was when they came back that first time though!

When I did grooming, unless you told me specifically you wanted something left on....then normally it was all taken off, though I would not shave feet, just trim them back with scissors! Every Cav person had a different requirement!

All cavies here are groomed as the breed is suppose to be unless the owners ask for something different.

As cavies area non trimmed breed normally its a good thorough strip through,nails & bath.Nothing gets taken off unless asked for

I have to trim under the Tibetan Spaniels's feet.

I use scissors that not only have rounded ends but which also have a curve in the blade. It's the kind of scissors you buy at baby shops....because they are so safe to use.....& the curved blade means you're not cutting with sharp, straight scissor tips.

The last pair I bought were actually in a pet supplies store. But, as I said, they can be bought at stores that sell supplies for babies.

Thanks for all the replies - not tried yet as in the middle of decorating but some small rounded ended scissors are on my shopping list for Thursday then I'm going to go for it on Friday......

I would get pointy ended ones too, you will need them if your dog gets a matt.

Thanks for all the replies - not tried yet as in the middle of decorating but some small rounded ended scissors are on my shopping list for Thursday then I'm going to go for it on Friday......

I would get pointy ended ones too, you will need them if your dog gets a matt.

I agree with you. I have both in my 'grooming kit' for the Tibbies. The round-ended, curved blades scissors plus the pointy ones (I actually use a pair or embroidery scissors).

Hi, hope you are enjoying your babe. I have 4 Cavs, two are still in the ring and 2 are retired and desexed. I trim all my dogs feet underneath, otherwise they slip and slide on the floor, also their feet stay a lot cleaner. If you are showing them then they should be untrimmed but you don't see many of them around, I would say that every successful exhibitor does the odd sly tidyup :laugh:

With the two pets I clip the body short but leave some hair on the chest and underbody, shorter hair on the backs of their legs and tidy up the tail, and their feet. I clip under the ears and chin down to the breast bone (like the setters are). They really look great and not at all like the poor little victims who get clipped all over!!

oze50

Hi All,

New to posting on the forum - read tons of useful stuff over the early weeks with our new pup - great site!

Our pup is a Cavalier and I keep thinking I ought to be trimming the fur between his pads - does anyone have any tips? I'm not sure what sort of scissors are best and how much is sufficient to remove?

He's pretty happy with us touching his paws, so not too worried about actually doing it, I just don't want to do it wrong and make it uncomfortable for him!

Thanks in advance for any tips.....