First Command Your Pooch Learned

I was thinking about this today and did a search, but didn't find anything about the topic (unless I'm blind :/)

What was the first command your dog learned when you got him or her? Let's rule out potty training.

Actually, the first thing Keeda learned was 'Jump'! Wow, what a mess that could have become! I read about clicker training and she was my first dog, so I decided to give it a try and started clicking and treating every time she jumped up on her own, then associating the verbal command with it. It worked like a charm! She was about 1 and a half months old when I got her and this was the first thing I taught her, took a couple of hours in all. Thankfully, she now knows what 'No Jumping' means as well xD

So, let's hear it - what was the first thing your pooch learned?

Guest Clover

Clover - Sit.

Elvis - Sit then closely followed by wait (he was sitting and waiting for his dinner at 9 weeks or so).

Tinny - Arrived as an adult and already knew sit, so i semi taught her drop and fetch (Ball).

Harri - Sit, Drop etc all the basics.

ETA: Ooops forgot their names and come.

Edited by Clover

Guest bigdogg

no / ahhh / out

i guess they dont exactly learn this.. but its usually up there with the first things that they respond too - apart from them coming to you..

When I got my very first pedigree labrador retriever to show, I bought her home and very quickly taught her to 'come' - Great! Then promptly taught her to 'sit' which only took a few minutes - very smart dog!

Took her to her first show as a baby, entered the ring and she very nicely sat down, stood her up, she sat down, stood her up, she sat down....

Then had to teach her to stand....she learnt it pretty quick! I had a lot of fun learning the showing thing with her!

Ah, I should've taught Keeda to 'come' before anything else. I was completely inexperienced dog-wise, and now come is the only thing she won't reliably do, at least not when theres other dogs in the area >.<

I'm confident in the strength of my relationship with Keeda for reasons that are too numerous to list all at once :o Coming when called while there's other dogs around is something we're working on and that definitely isn't perfect, but I don't feel that it diminishes my relationship with my dog. She and I will get through the difficulties together :)

Clover learnt to respond/look on her name first, and then learnt 'sit' with a toy soon after. She learnt to drop with food after that.

I believe next dog will learn "touch" first... Buuuut... We always have plans, don't we?

First thing I taught Jarrah was to do a stationary weave. Did that on the second day we had him (he was an adult).

Jonty I think it was sit then come.

Whisper, I honesty can't remember, although come was up there somewhere .

Hmm. Can't remember properly, but I think all mine knew what ARGGHHHHH! meant first :clap: (naughty puppies!) and then good girl. The first proper command, although toilet training is exempt (sorry), that every dog I've had knows is Do Wees!! It has never let me down and all will go on command. Saves lots of time and confusion :eek:

First basic command was 'come', with a treat of course :cheer:

i'd be pretty worried about 'jump' as a first command for a puppy. Their bones aren't really up to it at all. I always do my best to prevent pups from jumping. :D not reward them for it.

a mix of sit, come, his name and "drop it" I still remember sititng there with his toy and teaching him "drop it" because it was still easy to pull out of his mouth