Growling During Play

pennyw74

We get down on all fours and growl away at our puppy and she growls back, barks a little and we do this for a couple of minutes then stop the game.

It's all done on our terms and once the game is over, it's over - no more growling.

She will growl then bark and then run away, come back, bark and run away.

What does this mean? Is she scared of us or does she know that we are the "pack leaders" and knows her place?

Do you mean that when you finish playing she's still growling, barking running away etc? If you do, then it sounds like she's just trying to keep the game going. Either way, it sounds to me like a play thing - like you'd see two dogs playing together - I don't think she's scared of you. :thumbsup:

Sugar is 11 yrs young :thumbsup: and still does this....im with LuvMyCav she wants the game to continue ,Sugar growl's and barks but once i say no more she stops,same with my hubby and her he puts his hand out and growl's, well she thinks this is great ......but if you didnt know her you would think she was trying to eat him :rofl:

We get down on all fours and growl away at our puppy and she growls back

Uh,huh...and what do the neighbours think ? LOL

sorry, I just think it's funny...

I am a grumpy old sod who doesn't play with her dogs like this :laugh: No offence.

Your pup sounds as if she is enjoying it, anyway!

We get down on all fours and growl away at our puppy and she growls back

Uh,huh...and what do the neighbours think ? LOL

sorry, I just think it's funny...

I am a grumpy old sod who doesn't play with her dogs like this :laugh: No offence.

Oh I do, they are puppies for such a short time I figure I may as well make the most of it, and the neighbours already know I'm mad. :laugh:

My pup makes no noise when she plays with me, but when she plays with the adult dogs she makes a noise like a humpback whale in full song - weird but endearing.

• 2 weeks later...

Raspa is 6 and still does this, when we are playing tug with her rope you pat her on the head or touch her feet and she is all growling and sounds like she is about to rip you to shreads but at the same time she is wagging her tail like mad, as soon as you say ok that's enough she will let go of the rope and stop growling but then if she hasn't had enough of playing she will put the rope back in your hand so that you can keep playing with her.

she wants you to chase her

A nice game of zoomies is what she has in mind LOL

Exactly what my Noodle was doing tonight ... hiding behind the 6 year old and darting back and forth 'C'mon mum chase me!!!!!!!!!!!!!' 'Ain't no sheep so you will have to do!" :laugh: and then trying to do zoomies around the back room but being oh so careful she didn't come a cropper on the galss sliding door!