Water Overnight?

chugo101

I collect my Labrador pup 'Daphne' tomorrow and now I'm making all the preperations for her arrival I keep thinking of more questions!!

Does my labrador pup need access to water through the night in her crate (well its more like a small pen), or as its 'sleep' time will she be ok til morning?

I use to put water with mine at nite when they were puppys ( in there cage)... now they are alil older they sleep in bed with me now but they dont move once on the bed so they dont drink water dueing the nite.. i also find now thats its getting cold they drink less

Edited by SeaMonKeY

This could depend on what your pup does with the water bowl :laugh: My latest girl has a lovely time upending the water in her bed, I've tried different types of dishes but she works out how to tip them out so no water overnight for her. With the weather cooling it's really not necessary for them to have water overnight.

I was told by an animal trainer not to put water in the crate at night to aid in toilet training. I never did and when he needed to go out to toilet in the night, we passed his water bowl but he never seemed to be thirsty.

ours always have access to water .

As pebbles has said some dogs(labs are often the worse) luv to up end water bowls or swim in them so make sure your general bowls are sturdy & wont tip.

If anything at night just give a small amount but we always allow access

Thanks for the replies. As there's not much room in her pen for anything more than her bed we think we'll leave the water bowl out and as we'll be getting up to toilet her in the night we'll offer her water then. At least she'll be close to us so we'll hear if she's distressed about anything.

Mine only have access to water overnight on stinking hot nights :laugh:

Its just so confusing when everyone has a different opinion. I'd rather her not have water in there and its cold here in Torquay now so there'll be no worry of her overheating? I just don't want to be denying her of something she needs?

Guest Piximatosis

None of mine are dead yet. :laugh: They're never thirsty when I let them out in the morning either.

They have their dinner at roughly 9pm which is soaked in water. They are let out for their last toilet break at about 10pm where they also have a drink. Then into bed until 6am.

Like I said though, if it's one of those stinking hot nights I do give them water.

Mine don't get water in their crates overnight. Sometimes they will wake me up to tell me they want a drink, but most of the time they're more interested in peeing than drinking when they come out.

Orbit always had access to water overnight in his crate. Personally, I didn't like the idea of him getting thirsty and drinking large volumes of water when he gets access to it. I prefer him to know that water is always available and he doesn't need to stock up on it (bloat risk factor). I bought bowls that can be attached to the side of his crate, for the elevation purpose but also to keep them secure. Never once did he manage to tip the water out of it.

All the best with your new puppy! Don't forget, we need puppy pics too!!!

Aaaah to leave water or not to leave water? Such a dilemma I had myself with my 2 little lab puppies.

When I got them home 5 weeks ago now I left them water overnight, however this turned out to be too much of a problem.

I found a very sturdy water bowl but they simply used it as a swimming pool!

I agree with some of the earlier posts that the weather is cooler now and water does not seem to be missed at all (expcept for the fun they were having swimming in it perhaps) They do not rush to the water bowl in the morning so they obviously aren't desperate for a drink. Plus you indicated in a different topic you posted that you intend to feed BARF at night, (which is what I do) and this diet does not make them as thirsty as dry food. If you feed dry food at night then I do think they would need water available.

I also was given advice that no water helps with toilet training overnight.

There is so much to work out and learn getting a new puppy and like you I seem to never stop worrying that I am doing everything right.

Isn't it great to have friends to get advice from on DOL. :rofl:

Can't wait to see a pic of your little Daphne.