Unwell Dog

My dog is currently at the vet with an as yet undiagnosed problem, We are racking our brains as to what she could have gotten to make her sick, Current thoughts is either epilepsy or something worse.

If anybody is on line atm, do they know what other things can cause fits? It is not presenting as straight forward epelepsy, she has slowly been losing wieght (Not a lot, but some) is staggery etc.

My dog is currently at the vet with an as yet undiagnosed problem, We are racking our brains as to what she could have gotten to make her sick, Current thoughts is either epilepsy or something worse.

If anybody is on line atm, do they know what other things can cause fits? It is not presenting as straight forward epelepsy, she has slowly been losing wieght (Not a lot, but some) is staggery etc.

Your three sources of fitting (other than neurological causes) tend to be toxins, trauma or infection.

Vaccinations cause seizures, due to causing encephalitis, and can most often not be diagnosed as the problem ... as it can be months after the shot that it happens.........The Heartworm annual shot is the most dangerous one, and again it can start seizures months later.

:rofl:

What breed is she please?

Brain tumour, or pancreatic tumor can cause fitting - pancreatic tumors = hypoglycaemia = fits. As Cavandra says, heartworm injections and vacs. can also cause fitting.

And so can really really bad worm infestations.

Losing weight is not a symptom of epilepsy.

Good luck, hope the tests reveal something, terrible not to know, and none of the options I've given you are very cheerful, unfortunately!!

Please let us know. :laugh:

She is an english springer (A really lovely, well behaved (Who am i kidding)14mth old Desexed Bitch) everything is up to date with her vacinations etc. she has just started siezing again. I'm really concerned as to what to do at this moment. vet said to just contain her if she starts, but She is just not comfortable. (They are very mild siezures) first time she had them i thought that she had the hiccups.. I can only wait I guess.

I contacted her breeder, there are no health problems in her linage. :laugh::mad

oh dear not another

Ki was put on drugs to stop seizing, she had serum taken from the brain and spine but it didnt show any tumors, she drags one back foot at times. First after tumours were ruled out they think it may have been a virus of the brain like encehalytis.

the vets are baffled.

they suggest a MRI machine

Could it be something with the liver? I don't know much about health problems but I learned a lot about the liver when my dog had a liver problem he was difficult to keep weight on, and developed severe neurological problems as a result of toxins in the brain. Did your vet do a liver function test? Has anything happened recently that may have contributed?

She has been getting into the compost bins, so yes she could have eaten something that caused internal damage. I belive the blood tests that have been taken/sent, will tell us about her liver/kidney function.

She is vacinated with c5 annually, treated with advance? flea stuff (YOu know you put it on the back of thier neck?) once a month, wormed as per the vets instructions (She goes to the vets for it, since I won't shove tablets down her throat, the nurse does it for me) When I am rich, she is fed eagle pack dry dog food, when I am poor pedigree. She gets small amounts of tablescraps (Dependant on what it is , she has a touchy stomach, and I am very very cautious about what goes into her stomach) Unfortunately she is not cautious and will eat anything that she gets her mouth on.

She seems fine and happy this morning

When I am rich, she is fed eagle pack dry dog food, when I am poor pedigree.

Ewww... my dogs won't touch Pedigree...

I've found that the best "poor" dry food seems to be Supercoat Adult Chicken for my babies - they love it, and seem to thrive on it. I pay $42 for an 18kg bag at my local pet food store - and it's great for dogs with touchy tummies like my recently departed (bone cancer) Rottie...

T.

She eats, anything! and generally is healthy. we have rulled diet out as a contributing cause. the vets current thoughts are, Brain tumor (Luck of the draw) menagitis type virus/infection (She's now doing a course of antibiotics) and epilepsy (Vet soesn't really think that that is the case, but I now have epilepsy medication, and if she siezes again, I'm to start her on them. I think its' just wait andd see now.

Perhaps you could answer each of my questions below :rolleyes:

Has your dog had the Proheart 12 annual heartworm injection, if so what age?

What ages was your dog vaccinated since it was born & with which brand of vaccine, when was the last vaccination given, what age was the dog?

Do you feed pet meats/minces/dog rolls? Does it contain preservative 220?

Is there anything in quantity in the compost heap? Many fruits/veg etc in large amounts are toxic.