Living only in the now,

I draw strength from your example-

Yet time keeps slipping by somehow.

Because the day will soon be coming

When I will no longer see

You rise to greet me-but in memory

You will always walk with me.

- Gayl Jokiel

The above poem describes how I have felt the past few months and the dreaded day finally came on the 23rd of May. Spike was getting stiffer, the medication wasn't working like it used to and when he screamed in pain because he couldn't get up, I knew I had to let him go. His mind was still bright and alert but his hindquarters were deteriorating rapidly. If he were a smaller dog, it wouldn't have been so bad but because of his size and weight, it was just not fair to him.

So we went to the vet's first thing Thursday morning. I think Spike knew what was happening, he walked very calmly into the clinic and stood in the consult room. Mum and I held him, embraced him and he lay down very quietly, and calmly with his enourmous dignity. Then it was time, when the needle came out and just before it went in, Spike looked at all four of us (myself, mum, the vet and the nurse) in turn and gave us each a gentle kiss. He went to sleep with no fuss and no trouble. Right 'til the end he was a gentle giant and just so perfect.

I truly thought I had more time with him- his mind was perfect and alert but it was not meant to be. He was my best friend for so long, coming to me right when I needed him most of all. He was more than a dog- he seemed to understand exactly what you wanted, what you were saying and what was going on. He learnt new things very quickly, but wasn't too keen on repeating things just for our amusement (he was far too dignified for that!). But he had his 'softer' side as well, a favourite trick of his was to headbutt you or herd you towards the feed bin at dinner time etc.

He loved his fruit, especially banana, and if you forgot to give him the last bit of banana, he would give you a sharp nudge with his nose and a shrill bark to announce his disappointment. He was, and will forever be, the most amazing dog I have ever known. A true gentle giant, but one who also made us feel 100% safe with him around. He knew how to make himself look threatening if he needed to.

There will never be another dog like him and I am truly the most blessed person to have had him in my life for the time that I did. To be owned by a Newfoundland is the most amazing experience one could have.

post-2621-1212457658_thumb.jpg

post-2621-1212457717_thumb.jpg

post-2621-1212457777_thumb.jpg

post-2621-1212457831_thumb.jpg

post-2621-1212458009_thumb.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused::eek: Oh SP, I'm so sorry, It rips your heart out.

run free at the bridge Spike.

our heartfelt hugs - you've been so brave to honour him and let him go when it was time.

love fifi, danny & hounds xxxxx

Guest PixieOfWrath

Ohhhh SP. I am so very sorry. Of course there's no words that really take the hurt away... but I will be thinking of you. :confused:

More pics, showing his patient nature (yes, Ziva has her head right inside his mouth!!!)

Fifi - I don't know how you do it with the Wolfies. I don't think I could ever have another giant breed again. I thought I was tough, that I could handle it ("big breeds don't live as long") but even though I knew it was coming..... somehow that made it even harder. I don't know. Thank god I have my Borders to keep me busy.

We also lost our little 14 year old Shih Tzu, Rascall, the day before Spike went, but that wasn't so bad- he was very elderly in body and mind. I mean, it was horrible but there was nothing 'well' about him at that point. As opposed to Spike who's mind was still fine. There will be a thread for Rascall soon, mum wants to write it as he was her dog.

Thank you everyone.

post-2621-1212458723_thumb.jpg

post-2621-1212458837_thumb.jpg

Guest Tess32

I'm so sorry, I didn't even know he has having problems :confused: RIP :eek: Hugs to Caber and Ziva too.

SP, it never gets easier - If they are like your little Rascal, very old and knowing it is 'their time', you can reconcile it in your heart a little, but with the giant breeds - 'old' is never really a very long time to have them.

Sometimes when my heart is breaking and the sadness is a physical pain - I vow never to do this again, and then you look at the joy and huge part of your life a giant breed brings, and you go and do it to yourself all over :-)

Spike will leave a big peice of your heart hurting for a long time, and then that piece slowly turns to loving memory - one you will always treasure.

hugs

fifi