Chewing Lead

black magic

Hi,

I'm just after some info or ideas on how to stop my 9week old labrador from chewing her lead.

As soon as I attach her lead to her collar she chews at it, both the metal buckle and the lead. She is quite happy to walk along side on the lead, me but has to have the lead in her mouth. If it isn't she stops sits down and tries to grab it back in her mouth.

I'm not sure what the best way to deal with this is? I want her to respect the lead, and not think of it as a toy.

Thanks!

This is behaviour that puppies usually quickly outgrow, when you start walking her outside your property there'll be so many different sights, smells and sounds that the lead will quickly become boring and she'll forget about chewing it.

Meanwhile if it's worrying you that much persephone's suggestions will work.

Edited by Miranda

tfr612ix4.gif my 10month old never grew out of it! Soon as he gets a tiny bit excited he grabs the lead and wants to drag me for a run. We stop, I make him 'give' the lead, then we sit until he is settled then we carry on again. If he tries to grab it again, he gets a correction.

This is behaviour that puppies quickly outgrow, when you start walking her outside your property there'll be so many different sights, smells and sounds that the lead will quickly become boring and she'll forget about chewing it.

Meanwhile if it's worrying you that much persephone's suggestions will work.

I had the same problem black magic... Jedi would chew and hold onto the lead whenever I tried lead training in the backyard. As soon as we went outside of the house/backyard, he couldn't care less! Don't panic - she will get it.

I also taught Jedi a "leave it" command, which also helped.

tfr612ix4.gif my 10month old never grew out of it! Soon as he gets a tiny bit excited he grabs the lead and wants to drag me for a run. We stop, I make him 'give' the lead, then we sit until he is settled then we carry on again. If he tries to grab it again, he gets a correction.

LOL I've just gone back and edited my post to read 'usually quickly outgrow' :rolleyes:

Gee I hope they do outgrow it. Mine does it (5 months) when she's bored at training, I've even put a small length of chain on it. I now take a rope toy and a couple of others that I can swap with to try and entice her to use these instead of the lead. She still thinks the lead is the best tug toy though but we are making small steps to success!

I want to know how to stop my puppy from trying to bit my legs and feet while we are walking.

we were doing really well - but now every time we try some lead training - she tries to bite my feet.

any suggestions?

I have tried a few things - rewards and praise when she does the right thing (if only a couple of steps).

Should i say no and stop when she tried to bite - or is this just rewarding bad behaviour?

Have no idea what to do.

she is too young to go out yet - three weeks to go (injections this weekend coming!)

any suggestions appreciated

oh yeah - she also doesnt seem to care much about treats - even when she is hungry - except small pieces of cheese - but only for a few minutes.

My dog chewed clean thru a lead while tied up next to me at a coffee shop ... :nahnah:

Lupine brand leads and collars are guaranteed even if chewed- you send it back and pay only postage- unfortunately was using a different lead that day :cheer: and not paying enough attention.

http://lupinepet.com/

Places like vetnpet direct sell them http://vetnpetdirect.com/product.php?produ...e=&zoneid=2

The Lupine stuff washes very well and last well- my dog wear their collars in salt water and only show signs of rust after 2 years old.

I have just been watching a dog training DVD, 5 hours of info ;) , and they suggest that when a dog does this to stop walking, gain the dogs attention (you may even want to have it sit), grab the dogs mouth, open it and as you're grabbing the lead say "out" and then reward the dog. Continue to do this and within a week they say you should be walking fine providing you are consistant.

As you've described it, Black Magic, I don't really understand why it's a problem. Isn't it just an endearing Labrador-y thing? Is she actually pulling on it, or just holding it in her mouth as she trots along?

She was doing both, however she seems to be getting better with the lead. As some of you mentioned outside distractions usually work, that was the case at puppy Preschool, she only put it in her mouth twice, and that was during the times we were sitting and listening to the instructor. I've made sure I use it alot more, I've been play games with her while she has it on, and also doing all her training with it on. She is my first dog, and i'm not to sure on the right way of doing things so I was probably stressing for no reason, so far she has been great in everything we have done with her, I think Iwas expecting to much from her, I have to stop and remember that she is only young.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips!

She was doing both, however she seems to be getting better with the lead. As some of you mentioned outside distractions usually work, that was the case at puppy Preschool, she only put it in her mouth twice, and that was during the times we were sitting and listening to the instructor. I've made sure I use it alot more, I've been play games with her while she has it on, and also doing all her training with it on. She is my first dog, and i'm not to sure on the right way of doing things so I was probably stressing for no reason, so far she has been great in everything we have done with her, I think Iwas expecting to much from her, I have to stop and remember that she is only young.
Glad that the behaviour is settling down, Black Magic. My experience is that the *big thing* is not to pull against it or try to get it out of their mouth. Then it will turn into her fave tug toy, and that's a pain! Of course, later if you want to do agility you might need to deliberately teach her to tug on it when you ask her to, but I think it is better to do that deliberately - it's easier to be clear with her in that case when is the right time.

Playing with her while she's on lead I think is a good idea, as then she's less likely to think that the 'only' toy she can get when she's on lead is the lead itself.

Edited by WalandLibby

Just been thinking about how lucky you are to be enjoying your first puppy. You must be having a ball. These days there is so much more opportunity for new owners to develop their knowledge so much faster than when I started out with my first dog 16 yrs ago. The internet is one of the best things that has ever happened to the dog world, imo.

Have fun.

Chewing/tugging on the lead can also apparently be a stress indicator a behaviourist told me last week. I have found asking my pup to sit is one of the best distractors. She gets focussed on the lead and will not be distracted by another toy, so we stop and sit, trying not to make it a tug of war helps! Have tried the bitter spray and the chain, neither of them worked!!!