Help Plz! Need Vet In Sth East Melb That Agrees With Raw Feeding?

Hi guys,

Took my 9 week old GS pup to the vet yesterday only to be frowned upon for feeding him raw, then this vet pushed an all dry food diet of royal canin onto me which i was very happy about!

Just wondering if anyone knows of any vets in Sth East Melb that will give advice or be understanding of my choice to feed raw or at least wont frown down at me and push their high priced products at me so they can earn commission?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Guest Tess32

The only vet I've found in Melb that is fine with raw feeding is Stephen Ingliss at Sandringham.

I feel your pain. Everytime I go to my vet they try and get me to feed hills science diet! There's only one vet in the whole practice that doesn't - so we go to see her everytime. She doesn't like HSD - she recommends eagle pack, orijen and raw but doesn't push it on you.

John Sandford in Clifton Hill does very strongly promote a diet that includes bones :laugh:, and has never tried to sell us the dry food they have there :eek:. He is a very sensible vet (this is my favourite thing about him) but isn't particularly open-minded about alternative therapies.

I'm told he's more expensive than other vets but seems reasonable to me.

Sorry not near South Melbourne.

My vet is pretty good when it comes to the BARF diet but one of the vet nurses that works there is horrified that I feed it.

When I recently took in rescue pups I am fostering and explained the BARF diet I feed she immediatley said I needed to stop that and get them onto a good dry food. She didn't even know what a BARF diet was till I explained. I was like um ok 'rolling eyes'. My vet really said nothing other then I could add some calcium powder to their food as one pup had a slight knuckling problem.

The same vet nurse also doesn't believe me when I have said that since I switched from a dry food diet to a BARF diet my pug boys skin issues have gone away.

Hi guys,

Took my 9 week old GS pup to the vet yesterday only to be frowned upon for feeding him raw, then this vet pushed an all dry food diet of royal canin onto me which i was very happy about!

Just wondering if anyone knows of any vets in Sth East Melb that will give advice or be understanding of my choice to feed raw or at least wont frown down at me and push their high priced products at me so they can earn commission?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have no opinion on your choice of what to feed your dog but you should know that vets do not get "commission" from the premium dry food sales.

I have no opinion on your choice of what to feed your dog but you should know that vets do not get "commission" from the premium dry food sales.

Vets make a small profit margin on selling dog food exactly the same as they do on any other product they sell. It is not a commission thing. Vets are a business like anyone else that sells things or provides services.

Anyone that sells a product is making something out of it. Even holistic whiz bang imported foods are sold at profit.

The reason the majority of Vets carry the brands that they they do is availability through the wholesalers they deal with, and also certain brands produce products that are designed to treat specific problems.

Convenience of supply, overnight delivery from the wholesalers, and owner compliance also come into it. It can be easier on the owner and the dog if you can hand them then and there a diet to suit.

Most Vets deal only with the large Vet wholesalers who provide them a fast supply, and the food companys normally supply a great deal of information on the products making it easy to choose a product to suit.

Generally pet food takes up a lot of space in a clinic, and is not a great profit spinner.

The reason the majority of Vets carry the brands that they they do is availability through the wholesalers they deal with, and also certain brands produce products that are designed to treat specific problems.

Convenience of supply, overnight delivery from the wholesalers, and owner compliance also come into it. It can be easier on the owner and the dog if you can hand them then and there a diet to suit.

I agree. Most vets I know carry brands like Hills because they genuinely think they're good brands, and because they're familiar with the brand (Hills Science Diet sponsors all sorts of things for vet students!) Plus, those "prescription" diets for animals with particular ailments can actually be genuinely useful to some pet owners.

IMO most vets are anti-raw since they have been taught nothing about the benefits provided by the raw diet, but are all too familiar with the "risks" of nutritional deficiencies and bone impactions.

I think it would be great if vets recieved more information about the benefits of raw diets during their training, so that they at least would see raw as one valid feeding option, but I don't think that will happen any time soon.

Good luck to the OP with finding a raw supportive vet! ;)

I agree. Most vets I know carry brands like Hills because they genuinely think they're good brands, and because they're familiar with the brand (Hills Science Diet sponsors all sorts of things for vet students!) Plus, those "prescription" diets for animals with particular ailments can actually be genuinely useful to some pet owners.

IMO most vets are anti-raw since they have been taught nothing about the benefits provided by the raw diet, but are all too familiar with the "risks" of nutritional deficiencies and bone impactions.

I think it would be great if vets recieved more information about the benefits of raw diets during their training, so that they at least would see raw as one valid feeding option, but I don't think that will happen any time soon.

Good luck to the OP with finding a raw supportive vet! ;)

Owner compliance is a big issue for Vets, you can stand and talk to an owner for an a hour about allergys etc, and they don't comprehend the concept of only one protein etc, same as for animals with gut issues, kidneys etc. Being able to provide a complete package and simply be able to say feed this NOTHING else can simplify the treatment for everyone. Obese dogs, again so many owners cannot tailor the normal diet to suit, send them home with a bag and instructions works well for most.

Carrying a range of foods to suit everyone is impossible, supply of boutique foods can be difficult, it means dealing with different suppliers, often the need to stock far more than you can sell.

Stocking the brands carried by the major suppliers simplifies things, it is generally available overnight and included in the normal drug order reduces freight etc.

Many more vets are coming around to the raw concept, but it is a slow learning curve, Nutrition is a huge subject and for most general practice Vets one they don't have the time to devote to. We expect a hell of a lot out of our Vets in general practice.

Owner compliance is a big issue for Vets, you can stand and talk to an owner for an a hour about allergys etc, and they don't comprehend the concept of only one protein etc, same as for animals with gut issues, kidneys etc. Being able to provide a complete package and simply be able to say feed this NOTHING else can simplify the treatment for everyone.

Oh yes, I certainly understand the place for the Hills prescription diets.

I've always had this idea that when I finally graduate and eventually own my own practice, I'd love to offer my customers a small selection of chilled fresh meaty bones, plus some really good quality commercial diets, instead of (or at least as well as!) the ubiquitous Hills you get in vet waiting rooms. I'm not sure how commercially viable it would be - but I really don't like the idea of selling or advising my clients to feed something I wouldn't feed my own animals. Anyway, watch this space (for the next 5 or 10 years...) ;)

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread, OP. :(

Thank You all VERY Much for your answers.

Should have been a lil clearer when posting, im in Cranbourne North so im in the sth east suburbs of melb.

There are a few around my area which has been a great help, will be certainly taking my little boy there in the future!

I did mention to the vet once they started pushing the dry food onto me that i had done my research and was wanting to feed him raw and she did the eye roll and pretty much ignored what i said, which was another reason why i didn't want to hang around!

Also will be posting more pics once i get them off my phone!

hehe

Thanks all

humm

Thats what I just realise about the difference between Vet in Melbourne and Ballarat. :p

I used to live in south eastern suburb and Melbourne CBD. Most of the Vet that I have ever seen in Melbourne never said or recommend about Raw Food. They usually go to dry Food.

and since I moved to Ballarat, They do recommend me Raw Bone or Raw Chicken neck and they said it doesnt matter to give quality Raw Food to pet.

It is really interesting for me...

oooch whose the primary carer ???? you or the vet ???? I personally will not allow a vet to bully me into something that I don't want. Change your vet as you would your doctor if you have a difference of opinion and you feel you are right. When you go to a doctors you don't buy your bread and milk their do you ! Vets should practice more about being doctors of vetinary than making every last grab for cash they can.

Chris

oooch whose the primary carer ???? you or the vet ???? I personally will not allow a vet to bully me into something that I don't want. Change your vet as you would your doctor if you have a difference of opinion and you feel you are right. When you go to a doctors you don't buy your bread and milk their do you ! Vets should practice more about being doctors of vetinary than making every last grab for cash they can.

Chris

So you don't think they should sell foods that treat specific conditions or sell foods to ensure that the animals they see are getting decent nutrition?

Ever tried to to explain how to feed your dog to a complete numpty??

You don't think that by having foods available for owners who haven't grasped the whole feed your dog thing correctly is beneficial to the animal?