Is Apple Ok As A Treat?

My kelpie loves apple. In the evenings she and the rabbit come inside and they each like a bit of apple as a treat (as weird as it sounds they are best friends and hang out together all day). If I don't give some to the dog she will try and sneak over and steal the rabbits when he isn't looking. Is this OK for her? I have tried giving her other things instead but she really wants the apple :lol:

By boy loves apples - I do remember reading the seeds are not good for them. My boy actually steals apples from the fruit bowl if he can get to it......

We have caught him on numerous occasions knicking out the back door with apple in mouth.... LOL

The pugs love apple and every other sort of fruit.

As far as I know grapes are the only fruit to stay away from.

I think we need a photo of your Kelpie and her best friend the bunny rabbit.

Edited by puggy_puggy

We are getting a new pup in two or three weeks. Originally I wanted to get another adult dog but we decided to get a pup so we could raise her with the bunny too, an adult dog would have been much more difficult to retrain and we didn't want to have to break up such a good friendship :laugh:

My dogs like pretty much anything that comes out of the crisper or fruit bowl (except the obvious no-nos such as grape and onion).

They will be downstairs or out the back and if someone goes into the crisper they will come running.

The seeds do contain cyanide, however I believe the shell of the seed is tough enough to withstand the digestive system of humans and animals, and unless is thoroughly chewed, will pass through in tact without releasing the chemical.

One would have to munch on a huge amount of apple seeds to be poisoned.

My dogs have always loved apples and one of my Bullmastiff boys would climb the apple trees as far as he was able and knock the apples down to the rest of the gang waiting below :laugh:

This is a pic of Flynny Appleseed on one of his apple raids!

post-10121-1214220232_thumb.jpg

Ha ha, love the photo of the dogs and the apple tree.

Melbournecritters, my dog eats all types of fruit (don't let him have grapes though). There isn't a single fruit he doesn't enjoy. I think mango is his favourite. I love how your dog and rabbit get on so well. Good luck with the new puppy, hope it's not too hard to get it to play nicely with bunny.

By boy loves apples - I do remember reading the seeds are not good for them. My boy actually steals apples from the fruit bowl if he can get to it......

We have caught him on numerous occasions knicking out the back door with apple in mouth.... LOL

hahaha kaiser is the same, both kaiser and our last dobie love/d apples. Pal used to drowl when we were in the car when he saw them. and kaiser sits in front of you and blocks you off until you give him some, its kinda annoying but its so cute.

It's not a great one as they were looking at the view at the time but here you go :love:

DSC00719.jpg

this is gorgeous!!

Bazbum loves bananas best he absolutely begs me for a bite if I have one, likes apples too I used to grate them up to make him eat his dry food when he was a baby and he wolfed it down!!! :cheer:

Our two love apples as well, always scabbing bits when we give them to the horse and sheep! My ridgy also love a carrot to munch on - I gave them to her when she was younger to discourage her from eating gravel and sticks :rofl: I have taught the kelpie to eat more fruit and veges, as when the ridgie has something Wandy HAS to have some as well, hehehehe! Good plan!

My kelpie x, when I was growing up used to eat apples out of the crates on our verandah. (We lived on a farm with an orchard) Unfortunately there was also a crate of onions there one day, and she grabbed on of them instead of an apple! What a face she made when she chomped on it! Poor kid, I dont think she went back to get an apple after that.

My last ridgie used to pick lilli-pillis (dont know what else theyre called - pretty fuscia coloured, polystyrene feeling astringent little berries!) straight off the trees and eat them, Yuck :(

RG

The seeds do contain cyanide, however I believe the shell of the seed is tough enough to withstand the digestive system of humans and animals, and unless is thoroughly chewed, will pass through in tact without releasing the chemical.

One would have to munch on a huge amount of apple seeds to be poisoned.

Actually it's arsenic in Apple seeds. :(

I agree with everything you say tho'.

Bear.