Introducing A Mature Dog Into The Mix

I am considering re-housing a mature (2y.o) dog into my household of 2 dogs. One is a bitch of nearly one years and the other is a male of 7 months. They adore each other and no fights apart from the playful kind. The possible third dog is a Doberman which has shown some tendancy towards jealousy. It had nipped a child when the child was trying to get close to the adult which it had attached itself to. It did not act aggressively as such, it just nipped and then stood with head cocked when child responded by crying. This family is now looking to rehome dog as father doesn't want to risk dog biting his child. Would I be putting my dogs at risk of similar behaviour if it is brought into my houshold? Apparantly it is very friendly towards other dogs and on walks at the park he jut wants to play with other dogs. No aggression shown to people either. It is a desexed male. Any suggestions or has anyone else taken on a mature animal when they had pets already?

We started with Ivan when he was 7yo. A few months later we got Angel to keep him company, she was approx 1.5yo. A few months later we fostered [and subsequently adopted] Chopper. He was 10mo. We had a lot of trouble between him and Angel. A lot of people suggested it was because they were similar in size and age. In hindsight we should've kept them apart when we were at work until they accepted each other. Is that something you could do? To prevent any fighting.

Edited by ruthless

Yes I could whack a gate up and split the yard up if necassary. Were your dogs friendly when they first met or were they stand-off-ish? If we get the dogs together and they are playfull and seem happy together should I presume it will be ok based on observation of that behaviour or would you still say keep them seperated?

Also I'm worried about this jealousy thing.

Did you have nasty fights in your house between the dogs or was one just pushing the other around?

They were fine when they first met at the rescue centre. We prob know more now about dog behaviour than we did back then. There may have been signs that we missed. The fights were pretty bad. Never needed vet visits, but Chopper turned fear aggressive as a result. He's ok now. We keep all our dogs separate now for peace of mind. They never fight anymore, but they play REALLY rough.

If there's even the slightest chance that the new dog will get jealous over toys, food, etc. I'd def keep them apart until you're 100% sure that they're ok together.

If we get the dogs together and they are playfull and seem happy together should I presume it will be ok based on observation of that behaviour or would you still say keep them seperated?

No I don't think you can assume that it will be ok, bringing any dog, especially an adult into an existing pack will completely alter the dynamics and it's wise to supervise closely. Just because they get on when they first meet doesn't mean that they're going to get on all the time and I wouldn't leave them together when you're not there because if a fight does break out you're risking serious injury or worse. Feeding separately and making sure that no bones, chews or toys are left lying around is also a good idea.

The dog probably nipped the child as a warning to keep away from the adult because the dog regarded the adult as a resource to be guarded. If the dog is a resource guarder I would expect it to behave the same way with another dog that got too close to something that the dog considered 'mine', so I would be very careful introducing a dog like this into your household. If the dog has formerly been an only dog this may also make things more difficult because he'll be used to getting all the attention and everything in the yard that he treasured such as toys etc. would have been his and his alone.

I would give this a lot of thought before you commit yourself, is it possible to take the dog on a trial basis and see how he fits in?

Edited by Miranda

I would give this a lot of thought before you commit yourself, is it possible to take the dog on a trial basis and see how he fits in?

I asked but no. Apparantly the owner says his kids are attached to the dog and he does not want to have to send the dog away and go through that only to have to take the dog back again.

Well to be perfectly honest I wouldn't take this dog. If you're the type of person who's prepared to work at it if you do have problems then go ahead, but if you have doubts that you'd be able to deal with a resource guarder and would find constantly supervising and separating the dogs a hassle then I'd think twice about it. Of course it may all work out fine, but if it doesn't you may have dispose of the dog or keep them permanently apart.

Really if you want a third dog why not buy a puppy, taking on a dog that has nipped a child is asking for trouble IMO, you say that the dog shows no aggression towards people, but I would class what he did to the child as an aggressive act and there is no guarantee that he won't do it again under similar circumstances.

Really if you want a third dog why not buy a puppy, taking on a dog that has nipped a child is asking for trouble IMO, you say that the dog shows no aggression towards people, but I would class what he did to the child as an aggressive act and there is no guarantee that he won't do it again under similar circumstances.

I have put my details forward for a puppy from a breeder and was sent an email re this dog to try and re-home it.

I spoke with the owner and in all ways apart from the nipping incident it sounds ok.

I thought being a young dog it would be more pliable and with training and heaps of exercise we could work on this behaviour. Having said that, my gut is giving me a bit of an uneasy feeling. It could all end up being perfectly fine and I will have a fantastic dog on my hands or I could end up with heartbreak and guilt if one of my dogs or another person gets hurt.

Hi Neatz. I'm with Miranda. Also because Scarlet and oscar are only just coming into teenage years/adulthood. Either of them could also change a bit in the next few months too as they mature. I have a dog who is lovely, but I do have to watch for little danger signals just in case. I would never want to have this problem again, it can be draining and upseting.

It's none of my business, but you already have 2 really lovely dogs who get on well and don't have any issues. Throwing another into the mix, no matter how lovely a dog, esp. one of that age, is a bit of a lucky dip. Once you have a problem ie. you may have to separate when you're not home, or take up all food, toys etc. supervise 'play', it is very difficult to fix.

Meanwhile all the dogs would be changing in subtle ways to keep the 'pack' order and may alter the personalities of the dogs you have. Of course, all could be well and work out wonderfully. It's just a risk. I have taken in dogs many times, adults with adults, and never had a problem, but I wouldn't now as I've experienced what it's like to have a problem. Very consuming, both in time and emotion.

What ever you decide I really wish you the best and you are such a lovely person to even think about having this dog. Please dont feel guilty if you don't take it. You're little happy family is very important. To be really honest, I guess I'm thinking more of how Scarlet will feel :cheer: they are so happy and 'out there', it would be tragic if her nature were compromised. If your 'gut feeling' is bothering you, I'd go with that. I'm a HUGE believer in instinct/feelings/first impressions.

I think a trial would be good, but it can still be different than 'having' the dog. We look after many dogs for friends on holidays, it wasn't until we got another of our own that the trouble started. How the hell do they know??????

Hugs and kisses to the viz, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxx

Hi Monah, it seems like we are leading double lives. Glad you have been there and done that to tell me what can go wrong!

I have been in touch with someone in here who knows this dog so I will consider what they tell me and will view the dog based on what I find out.

It is a desexed male. Any suggestions or has anyone else taken on a mature animal when they had pets already?

I took on a rescue male Rotty at approx. 3 years old. I already had two female Rotts ( approx 3 and 6 ) and the boy fitted in well from day one, not a single incident and this male rescue dog had been bashed severely. It can work out fine sometime's, but it's always a gamble. Also i'm single, so no kids had to be taken into consideration.

Hi Monah, it seems like we are leading double lives. Glad you have been there and done that to tell me what can go wrong!

I have been in touch with someone in here who knows this dog so I will consider what they tell me and will view the dog based on what I find out.

That's great. Someone 'outside' with knowledge of the dog is great. The dog is probably really lovely, as long as he fits in with your 'lot' :rofl: Good luck with it all :(

Hey guys,

Miranda, Monah and Rotty, i see you've had experiences with introducing new dogs to your family. I have a similar circumstance that i need help with. I would really appriciate some opinions, especailly from people experiened in introductions like yourselves. My story is a little different and i've actually written a post to put on but haven't yet as i'm afraid it'll be too big. I've saved it on word and it's two pages long but there was no way i could shorten it coz i believe that all the details i've given are important. Is there a limit to words on this site per post? And would you be interested in throwing some advice my way?

Thanks heaps

Snuff

I introduced a 18 month old bullmastiff cross bitch (desexed) into my household 6 months ago. She belonged to a friend who was unable to keep her. At the time I had a 2 year old golden retriever (entire as i show her) and a 3 year old desexed kelpie cross bitch. Initially all was fine, then one day my kelpie attacked the bullmastiff.. and since that day its been fun fun fun! The bullmastiff has since attacked both the other dogs with no provacation and the fights are nasty! the only way to seperate them is with buckets of water and there is usually one or both dogs bleeding. The kelpie and the goldie have never fought and still dont. So now the bullmastiff is separated from the other two at all times. She has her own section of the backyard and they all have crates inside so i can have them all inside at night. I jsut let them out of thier crates in the evening in shifts.

Its not perfect but its the only way i can safely have all 3 dogs in my home. I have since adopted a male staghound as a compnaion for the bullmastiff girl and they are the best of mates. So be aware when you bring this new dog into your household that altho things may appear fine initially.. that may well change.

Hey snuff I dont think theres any limits on words but you might have to wait for replies coz there usually isnt many people on the forums over the weekend you gets lots more people during the week.

Edited by Paganman

I introduced a 18 month old bullmastiff cross bitch (desexed) into my household 6 months ago. She belonged to a friend who was unable to keep her. At the time I had a 2 year old golden retriever (entire as i show her) and a 3 year old desexed kelpie cross bitch. Initially all was fine, then one day my kelpie attacked the bullmastiff.. and since that day its been fun fun fun! The bullmastiff has since attacked both the other dogs with no provacation and the fights are nasty! the only way to seperate them is with buckets of water and there is usually one or both dogs bleeding. The kelpie and the goldie have never fought and still dont. So now the bullmastiff is separated from the other two at all times. She has her own section of the backyard and they all have crates inside so i can have them all inside at night. I jsut let them out of thier crates in the evening in shifts.

Its not perfect but its the only way i can safely have all 3 dogs in my home. I have since adopted a male staghound as a compnaion for the bullmastiff girl and they are the best of mates. So be aware when you bring this new dog into your household that altho things may appear fine initially.. that may well change.

My girl doesnt like other females much and I wouldnt ever bring another girl home she gets on great with my male but other girls no way, I wouldnt take the risk.When one of mine passes on Im wanting to get a purebred staffy to maybe show and all the breeders Ive spoke to say I should get one of the opposite sex coz they get on better.

My girl doesnt like other females much and I wouldnt ever bring another girl home she gets on great with my male but other girls no way, I wouldnt take the risk.When one of mine passes on Im wanting to get a purebred staffy to maybe show and all the breeders Ive spoke to say I should get one of the opposite sex coz they get on better.

I have to say introducing an adult bitch into a house with 2 other adult bitches is not for the faint hearted.. the fights are terrifying!

I've fostered many dogs over the years and mainly take older dogs. My own old dogs found 2 1 yr olds very hard to cope with but there were no fights. But the pack order changes each time.

All dogs should be desexed. I've brought male dogs in that were undesexed in the beginning and that causes a few problems for sure, not so much fights as my own dogs are lovely natures but it causes lots of urination everywhere. I've decided not to do that again.

I also believe in keeping to dogs of the same size.

The same size thing is actually a good idea.. means if there are fights at least they are evenly matched.. in my house the fights are very unevenly matched and this is partly why they are so awful! I belive the bullmastiff girl could kill either of the other girls if she wasn't stopped!