Ndtf Course

My husband and I are considering doing the NDTF course in the not to distant future.

I was hoping anyone that has done the course especially through correspondence would be able to tell me their experiences with it. I'd be interested on how useful/helpful you found the course? Did you think it was worthwhile?

Was it easy to fit in with your lifestyle or did it take more time than you anticipated? What were the costs involved ? Did you think it was worth the money?

Sorry for all the questions want to get an idea of what we are looking at before we make a commitment.

Thanks in advance :cheer:

I am doing it at the moment, go to sydney Saturday for my training block!

I am loving it, normally i would find the work load fine, (at this stage!) but i have had a crap few months and have had a lot on my mind! so been struggling to do what is needed by this weekend.

I have done one assessment, and have already learned a lot. I work with dogs every day, 7 days a week, so it is nice to have something behind me!

im doing the D/L course starting in August we have one training block in september (2 seperate dates) and one in January (also has two seperate date) its dear but it should be worth it.

you can also see how they train by going along to ADT(australian dog training) they have a few centres around Melb and are all qualified NDTF instructers.

im doing the D/L course starting in August we have one training block in september (2 seperate dates) and one in January (also has two seperate date) its dear but it should be worth it.

you can also see how they train by going along to ADT(australian dog training) they have a few centres around Melb and are all qualified NDTF instructers.

While it is true that ADT require all of their trainers to have completed the NDTF Certificate III in Dog Behaviour and Training, the methods that ADT may not be an accurate reflection of everything you will cover in the NDTF course as they are in fact two seperate entities (although albiet have a good working relationship).

ADT use a style of training they have found works best for the majority of owners and dogs. The NDTF course aims to cover ALL methods of training without a bias to any in particular.

I am doing the course at the moment, had one prac block in April and next one is in August. Really interesting, if you have an interest in dogs and want to go a bit further this is one way to go. A number of people who did the prac with me have vet nursing exp, some are breeders, some are groomers, some show dogs and some are just interested in dogs, all ages too! There were some who didn't currently own a dog! Expensive, maybe but most education courses these days don't come cheap. Also factor in accommodation costs during prac blocks.

Im so worried about the course!! I know i am prob being silly, but sooo scared that im going to stuff up!!

2 weeks it is all going to be over, and i will (hopefully) wonder what i was stressing about!

Hey all,

I did the NDTF course in 2005 and absolutely loved it!! I thought the lecturers were very knowledgable, from various fields in the dog world all bringing together their own experiences. That was definately a strong point of the course, because we covered a variety of training techniques, their pros and cons as well as their application at the training centre and kennels. Its an intense course, but certainly well worth doing. You will graduate with a different perspective about dog training and modification, no doubt about it. Best of luck!

Hey everyone,

I did the NDTF course last year, and highly recommend it. Excellent lecturers, the best of the best! Best advice, ask lots of questions. And what the course will teach you, you will never stop learning. All the best for the course!

I have just finished the course, its the best thing I've done. The course content and assessments are full on but at the same time very enjoyable.

It is expensive but money well spent i think.

One of the reasons i loved it so much was that the NDTF dont tell you what techniques you must use when training dogs (unlike Delta) instead they show many different techniques some indusive and some compulsive and you can choose which techniques you will use when training dogs.

I would highly recommend the cert3 to anyone..

I'm having trouble finding the actual cost of the course? I know, it's me :cheer: Anyone help, either tell me where it is on the website, or just tell me :laugh::eek: xxx

If it's cert 111. do you need any other certs before doing it??

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to bump this.

I just walked in the door after 8 days of training in Sydney, had a total ball and learned soooo much! I am actually disappointed to be home!

Oooh! Did I see you when I was training yesterday afternoon? I occasionally make it to Steve's group classes and noticed that the NDTF group joined us - a bit unexpected, as it hasn't happened before! I was the one with "Murphy" - retreiver x collie x ???? Also, I am curious - the dog Zac - was that a boarding dog, or a student's dog?

Crap, i am guessing we did see each other! I had Micky - the large brindle dog that Steve kept talking about because of her focus on food!

I remember the name being said, murphy, but waas soo bloody tired and trying to keep Micky from eating my hand i didnt notice anyone else!