Please Help Puppy Crying All Night

charlies_mum

hi everyone we picked up our female chi on saturday afternoon and she is such a little princess. HOWEVER then the night time came or should i say 1130pm and boy for a tiny dog she has a massive set of lungs she howled and cried until we went in to the ensuite to her. we picked her up (her tail was wagging) and then she fell back to sleep in our arms back in her play pen (in her crate) for 4 hours then cried again all night until we brought her in to my husbands side of the bed where she happily slept in her crate for 2 hours. then crying again. we tried tough love during the day when she went for a sleep and ignored her (which ripped my heart out) and she cried non stop for 45mins. as soon as we went to get her her tail is wagging again. yesterday afternoon though she ahppily slept silently in her crate for about 7 hours with a playtime out in the backyard in the middle and last night was much of the same crying non stop. we are very sleep deprived!!! she has a hot water bottle and more toys and blankets than she knows what to do with and the ducted heating is on so she isnt cold. i know puppies are going to cry our 12 month old male chi cried 4 times over 2 nights but settled very quickly. my question is did we just get lucky with our male chi and what she is doing is normal? if yes when will she start to settle? is this a female dog thing and will she always be a bit more whingy and sooky? by the way there is nothing medically wrong with her and like i said apart from the crying she is an absolute darling. please help us :mad

Congratulations! Your princess has trained YOU to come when she cries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

She has also learnt that persistence pays off!

Keep her busy at times during the day... lots of exercise/play.

Naps are essential, too :mad

have her crate alongside your bed if you want.... otherwise leave it in antoher room. make sure she toilets before bed, and don't leave water/food with her.

could she be TOO warm? heating and a hot water bottle may be too much... and she isn't 'drawn' to the H/W bottle for comfort?

DO NOT get up to her when she is making noise.

Even if she cries for 2 hours straight.

Do a toilet run when she is quiet/asleep..no cuddles, etc.. just pick up..take out..put back to bed.

Hopefully she will soon learn/relearn that crying doesn't bring rewards :cry:

Congratulations! Your princess has trained YOU to come when she cries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad

She has also learnt that persistence pays off!

DO NOT get up to her when she is making noise.

Even if she cries for 2 hours straight.

Hopefully she will soon learn/relearn that crying doesn't bring rewards :cry:

thanks for that so it wont do her any long term damage to cry for hours on end? i have left her at home for 3 hours this morning so hopefully she can cry the whole time if she wants and she may realise it gets her nothing? we tried putting her in to the male chis bed and he is such a sweet heart he just moved over and let her snuggle. this kept her happy for a few hours last night but then sh cried again. we will put her in the laundry tongit with out the heating on and see how she goes. she had a big sleep from about 5-9pm last night should we try keeping her up then so she is buggered and wants to sleep? thanks again

it wont do her any damage at all to cry all night, you wont feel good but it will teach her that crying and crying will get her nowhere.

My SAmoyed pup is very funny about crying to be let out in the morning. When I am at home alone he wont make a peep until I get out and go let him out. But if my OH is here its the Sammie version of the temper tantrum of a life time. Mistral knows that when my OH is around me almost always gets what he wants so he will work for it and the dediccation he puts into is truely mind blowing. One word from me though and he is instantly quiet.

I have to train my OH more then my dog :mad

On the first night we had our last foster boy, he cried ALL night non stop!

We ignored him the whole night (other than getting up for one toilet break half way through) and he just kept going and going and going because he was lying on his back with his legs up in the air just wailing!

I figured he would get tired and stop but it didnt happen. He was sleeping in the lounge room in his crate and his noise made the other dogs get up and go to him to see what was the matter and he kept wailing.

He got better over time and we just had to put up with it and ignore him (even though we were paranoid the neighbours could hear him and complain as it was that LOUD!).

Neither of my girls were as bad as that but they did whinge the first few nights but they eventually gave up.

Where are the piccie's?

Goodluck :mad

hi everyone we picked up our female chi on saturday afternoon and she is such a little princess. HOWEVER then the night time came or should i say 1130pm and boy for a tiny dog she has a massive set of lungs she howled and cried until we went in to the ensuite to her. we picked her up (her tail was wagging) and then she fell back to sleep in our arms back in her play pen (in her crate) for 4 hours then cried again all night until we brought her in to my husbands side of the bed where she happily slept in her crate for 2 hours. then crying again. we tried tough love during the day when she went for a sleep and ignored her (which ripped my heart out) and she cried non stop for 45mins. as soon as we went to get her her tail is wagging again. yesterday afternoon though she ahppily slept silently in her crate for about 7 hours with a playtime out in the backyard in the middle and last night was much of the same crying non stop. we are very sleep deprived!!! she has a hot water bottle and more toys and blankets than she knows what to do with and the ducted heating is on so she isnt cold. i know puppies are going to cry our 12 month old male chi cried 4 times over 2 nights but settled very quickly. my question is did we just get lucky with our male chi and what she is doing is normal? if yes when will she start to settle? is this a female dog thing and will she always be a bit more whingy and sooky? by the way there is nothing medically wrong with her and like i said apart from the crying she is an absolute darling. please help us :D

Let her cuddle up to your male chi.. or buy another puppy to keep her company! :hug: Im heartless when it comes to crying puppies at night, if I know they are fed warm etc and jsut sooking i ignore them, and make sure they are in the room furthest away from my bedroom! I jsut cannot afford to be sleep deprived when i work fulltime - end of story.

Edited by indigirl

it wont do her any damage at all to cry all night, you wont feel good but it will teach her that crying and crying will get her nowhere.

My SAmoyed pup is very funny about crying to be let out in the morning. When I am at home alone he wont make a peep until I get out and go let him out. But if my OH is here its the Sammie version of the temper tantrum of a life time. Mistral knows that when my OH is around me almost always gets what he wants so he will work for it and the dediccation he puts into is truely mind blowing. One word from me though and he is instantly quiet.

I have to train my OH more then my dog :D

ROFL! bloody dogs! Ive seen mine creep to my bedroom doorway at night to spy on me.. if they see im awake they are absolute shits and demand to go out etc.. if they think im asleep they trot off back to bed! So now if im awake i make a moaning nosie like im mumbling in my sleep and lay there pretending to be asleep.. how sad is that LOL

Edited by indigirl

ROFL! bloody dogs! Ive seen mine creep to my bedroom doorway at night to spy on me.. if they see im awake they are absolute shits and demand to go out etc.. if they think im asleep they trot off back to bed! So now if im awake i make a moaning nosie like im mumbling in my sleep and lay there pretending to be asleep.. how sad is that LOL

Spy Dogs :hug:

My Bonnie is often in another room by herself when I'm on here. The moment I shut down Windows and it does that "shut down tune" she comes bolting in to see me, all excited that I'm off the bl@@dy computer :D

Back on topic:

Is there any reason why the two chis can't sleep together?? Chis love curling up together and keeping warm (their little bodies feel the cold easily)

It has been a long time since I have had a pup on it own, (usually keep 2 from a litter :D ) but maybe I am too soft, I would have them in a crate beside the bed, that way if they cry you can just reach down & reassure the pup.

Worst comes to worst I would have the pup on the bed with me, they are only babies, I couldn't let it cry all night in a room by it self, beside I need my sleep, if baby is happy so am I,

But that's just me.

I'm afraid I'm a soft touch like Silverblue. For the first few weeks, until the puppy is at least sleeping through the night, I either have the crate next to my bed or the puppy sleeping on the bed. That way too I know if it is stirring and therefore likely to want to go out to the loo.

Remember that puppies are like babies and will need to go to the toilet after they've slept, eaten or played. And sometimes the only way you know that they need to go is when they start scuffling around looking for "the spot". At least if they're close at hand, you can attend to them quickly and easily and hopefully without disturbing the rest of the house.

Once they're pretty much night toilet trained, then I move them to wherever they are going to sleep on a permanent basis.

I used to do the tough love bit and make them sleep in the laundry or wherever and all that happened was an even more broken sleep each night and lots of noise from a very distressed puppy.

As long as the end result is a good one, it doesn't matter if the journey there takes a few twists and turns.

I Agree crate next to bed.

Tough luv with alot of common sense.

Make sure all is done on your terms not the pups.

Having said that in 24 years of dogs never had howling pups.

I would be inclined to not allow to much sleep at present prior to your bed time.

Often the pup is placed into a dark room,no noise,no other bodies & panic sets in,We prefer to allow more privelages whilst settling & then work towards the desired slepping pattern & its always worked this way

we tried tough love with molly last night and we kept her active and up for most of the afternoon with just a small quiet time/ nap. she was putting herself to bed by the time we were ready for bed as she was that tired. we set her up in the laundry in her play pen with some water and a training pad and her crate with an audiobook playing so she had some noise then we closed the door and she cried for about 1 minute. we didnt hear her again until 330am when she cried hysterically for 1-2 hours. we ignored her and she put herself back to sleep :thumbsup: breakthrough we were so happy and she only started crying this morning when i was letting her older brother outside to go to the toilet at 7am. so we have made progress!!!! hopefully she continues to improve and we will keep going with the tough love even though it could break my heart at least we all good a decent nights sleep thanks all for your advice :D

"we didnt hear her again until 330am when she cried hysterically for 1-2 hours. we ignored her and she put herself back to sleep"

Make sure though you dont mistake her cries to toilet out of her bed.Not every pup will use those pads

What i think made a difference for my puppy was having a radio on in the room tuned to the ABC (talk back radio).

my puppy cried three times during the night the first night home, but the breeder had emphasised not getting up to her - so i didnt. She had water, was warm, she was fine. The second night - she cried for three minutes when she went to bed. The third night one minute - the fourth night 30secs.

I had her in her crate (door open) inside a puppy pen in the dining room (away from the bedroom).

She fusses a little (apparently only for half a minute) when i leave for work in the morning. But then she is fine. Way too many things to occupy her.

Be brave, we've all been there.

hey. glad to hear your pooch is learning. mine was the same. the first two nights were excrutiating. i was ready to take her back, and just bite the bullet for how far we traveled for her, but at the mo shes a quiet angel. she only picks up now when i put her out back by herself when i have to clean up her occasional accident. it should sort itself out. ignoring them really is the best way. be wary of relapse if you get too soft on her.

How do I get my 1 year old Lhasa to sleep in the crate? First night she made it to 2am because she was exhausted but then she started whining and barking. I tried to get her to quieten down and took her out etc but from then on she hates going in the crate at night. Don't blame her because she is used to the bed, even with the crate right next to the bed she is carrying on. She was initially crate trained but I stupidly let her out too early and now she needs some re-training. I have been playing crate games during the day with her. Putting her in it during the day for very short times i.e.less than 5mins. Is this the way to go?

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I am desperate!