Ex Nutro Feeders What Have You Swapped Over To

Like the rest of you I was very upset about no longer being able to get Nutro in OZ. :( I feed my black labs a combination of dry and fresh and sometimes just dry and my dogs loved the Nutro and did very well on it and I got lots of compliments on their shiny coats out on our walks. I fed them the Senior for Large Breeds and liked the fact that it was a fairly large disc shape compared to the pellet size of most other dry food and being greedy labs that literally vacuum up their food :rolleyes:, I found with the Nutro they would actually chew/crunch it, so that was good. I have now swapped them over to Eagle Pack Holistic for Seniors but am disappointed with the pellet size of this food as my boys once again just vacuum it up.

Can anyone tell me if there is another Super Premium dry that is of similar pellet size/shape to the Nutro Senior for Large Breed as I would like to swap over to another brand with larger kibble sizes. My preference is for a Senior for Large Breed type food as that is ideally tailored to suit my black lab boys who are 9, 10 & 12.

I feed my Saint pup on Royal Canin Giant (although we are currently making the switch to BARF - but that's another story!) and the kibble size for that is quite large. I haven't used the Royal Canin Maxi (for large breeds, as opposed to giants) variety, but it may be similar in size? Worth a try maybe? Actually if you're able to get your hands on a Royal Canin Maxi brochure, it may have the kibble size in there, as the Giant brochure does. Has a picture of a piece of kibble with "actual size" written next to it, then you can see before you buy :rolleyes: Good luck.

I can share the experiences of our customers who have almost all changed over from Nutro (we still have a small amount left as we had large holdings).

Number one change has been to Pro Pac Super Premium. Relatively new to Australia, some of the lines are very similar to Nutro (Lamb and Rice in particular). Their Senior is excellent and has been an instant hit with those changing older dogs over. The Low Fat and High Performance is also being well recieved. Pro Pac should be available in Sydney - I am happy to supply the wholesalers details if you want to contact them for a list.

Nutrience, then an even mix to Royal Canin, Advance and Eukanuba.

A small number have changed to Eagle Pack, but they were generally feeders who had come from EP to Nutro anyway. Orijen has attracted a lot of interest.

Some customers are still "playing" with finding a good alternative, with a number now trying BARF or Vets All Natural.

So, there are a lot of good choices out there, but that has been our experience with finding alternatives for our Nutro customers.

Many thanks everyone for your replies & whilst I am aware there are some excellent Super Premium brands out there, my main concern is the size of the kibble and the fact that the brand should be a Senior for Large Breeds, which hopefully will be reflected in the size of the kibble. I will do some research on the some of the brands recommended and will try to obtain some sample packs as luckily my Labs (like the majority of Labs, if not all labs :) ) they are not fussy eaters, food is food as far as they are concerned :laugh:

Sagittarian - many thanks for the details you supplied and yes can you please provide me with the Sydney wholesalers contact details

Same problem here. Now that I've moved to the Southern Highlands I can't seem to find many super premium kibbles for large breed dogs. Almost bought RC but changed my mind when I saw that the first ingredient was cereal (can't remember which bit I think it was corn).

I then tried to get Nutrience large breed lamb and rice as the ingredients seemed similar to Nutro and the kibble size looked large, but Pet Barn couldn't get in in when I needed it. So now I've gone with Pro Plan Selects Lamb and Oatmeal but again it just 'Adult', not large breed and the kibble is quite small. I now put a little water in it and then always add something like sardines, chicken mince, eggs or tuna and mix it up. That way Beanie doesn't choke as she inhales her dinner.

We finally picked up a Propac Adult Lamb and Rice today. Our dogs at the best of times are noisy blighters when we get their food out but this afternoon wish we'd had ear muffs when we opened the Propac. :crazy:

We will await results in stool content, see how they do on it, coat condition etc. Two of ours are show dogs so that's important to us.

The importers are in QLD.

Indi was on Nutro, but she loves the Pro Pac (she's on the performance one)

The kibble size is still pretty big (not small like the nutra grain type ones in Eagle Pack performance)

Thanks a million Sagittarian :crazy: