Really Worried

This is one of mum's little dogs Joey. She's 7 years old and always so happy and active. Mum had the girls washed early this week. When she went to feed them this morning, she noticed this. Mum took the girls to the vet last week for their shots and she can't remember seeing it then (it's not like we like looking at dog bums. I know I don't :rofl: ). Joey and mum's other dogs are outside dogs by day (and sometimes night).

It's dry and lumpy but there's no mucus, blood etc. I thought I would ask here since we're such a knowledgable group! :cheer: Mum called up 5 vets once she noticed it but not one was open long enough for mum to get there and the earliest is tomorrow afternoon ;)

post-6936-1215842607_thumb.jpg post-6936-1215842964_thumb.jpg

Is there anything that someone can suggest to help?

Edited by kaywoman68

Ouch! That looks very red,hot and sore :laugh:

is she worried about it at all?If not, then tomorrow afternoon should be fine to wait....

If you have any sort of DOG cream/lotion for skin probs- phone a vet ,list ingredients,& ask if it would be ok in the short term...

All I can suggest is maybe a small human anti histamine dose... once again, ask the vetbefore using :shhh:

Poor little one....

edit to say -could well be a nasty reaction to something at the groomers ?

Edited by persephone

is she worried about it at all?

Joey doesn't appear worried at all which is the thing we're finding strange. I've told mum to trim the clumpy fur around so it would keep it clean.

Ouch! That looks very red,hot and sore :laugh:

It's definitely red. It was warm to touch but it certainly didn't bother her. Mum was holding her and she didn't even wriggle at all. It's a bit dry.

Mum's been taking her to the groomer's for quite a while now and it's never happened before. It might well be though. Not sure......

Cockerlover, I do have some paw paw ointment so I might lend it to mum.

Mum's been taking her to the groomer's for quite a while now and it's never happened before

get your Mum to ask the groomer what products were used on the dog, and was there anything new or different used this time.

Sorry havent seen anything like this before, but the only thing that springs to mind is maybe blocked anal glands?

By all accounts that can be red and sore and nasty. Someone else may be able to help with that suggestion???

Re Blocked anal glands- I would think to get that degree of external redness and irritation, the internal discomfort would be pretty severe :laugh:

One would think she'd be showing some signs.

That's a thought- do the groomers express anal glands when they have the dog?

I think it depends on the groomers. Some do it as part of the service but some charge for the service and normally don't let the clients know anyway.

Mum is monitoring her tonight. I gave her some Lucas paw paw ointment and asked her to just dab on one small part and see if it helps or makes it worse.........Joey has been given a bath and the icky bits have been snipped off. She hasn't been doing anything out of the ordinary so yea.

Could just be that the anal glands need emptying however for it to be that red and score the dog would have been at itself and the loss of hair in the area would indicate to me that the dog as been at itself for a while.

Could also be an allergy.

My dog was at himself the other week, we took him to the vets and his glands were full, fast forward a week and he's at himself again, I don't think his glands could be full again in a week but we're off to the Vets to see.

Edited by sas

Is it possible he had a dirty bum before your mum bathed him. Sometimes we get dogs in with dirty, pooey fur matted bums that their owners aren't even aware of. When the fur is clipped away the skin often looks irritated, I would guess from having bacteria in constant contact with the skin.

Is it possible he had a dirty bum before your mum bathed him. Sometimes we get dogs in with dirty, pooey fur matted bums that their owners aren't even aware of. When the fur is clipped away the skin often looks irritated, I would guess from having bacteria in constant contact with the skin.

Egg Xactly! Sometimes dogs do come in to the salon with matted 'poo bums" and all you can do is wash the mess off. Many times it's too late, as irritation has set in and bacteria has set up an infection. The situation continues to get worse when the dog goes home, most groomers mention a problem and suggest the dog is taken to the vet. It's kind of like 'nappy rash'!

Not many groomers empty anal glands these days, as it's expected that owners have information re feeding the kinds of food that make a firm stool, hence one that naturally exercises and empties the gland with the normal passage of stools.

Back when all dogs were fed "canned dog food" there was a reason for all groomers to routinely empty anal glands ---but not now! The emptying of the anal gland should naturally occur with a passing of a stool. If what you are feeding your dog does not naturally empty his glands, then you should do some research on this subject and think of changing your dogs diet. There are special cases, where groomers will empty glands, at the request of the owner via their vet. If you are not one of those special cases, then it's time to look at what you are feeding your dog.

We didn't end up going to the vet's. Mum just gave her a bath and put some paw paw ointment. She's still very happy. She follows my mum everywhere and loves looking at the bunnies.........

Sorry but why would you not take that dog to the vet. That's not a minor abrasion and it looks very uncomfortable, if not painful.

Please take the poor little thing to the vet.

Sorry but why would you not take that dog to the vet. That's not a minor abrasion and it looks very uncomfortable, if not painful.

Please take the poor little thing to the vet.

Whilst I am glad the paw-paw cream seems to be easing it- if you were 'really worried', why didn't you see the vet?

For me, it would be nice to know if it is a reaction to something, so I could avoid it in future !

:love:

We tried the paw paw ointment on Sunday and noticed it went down. Mum called her regular vet on Monday morning and explained the situation (bath, paw paw ointment etc) and emailed the pics (before and after) to the vet. He had a look at them and said he was very pleased to see that it had gone down considerably but he suggested a check-up just to be sure. They went yesterday afternoon and the vet gave the ok. The vet ruled out allergies. He reckons she must have just had a really itchy bum and used whatever means she could to relieve the itch.

He reckons she must have just had a really itchy bum and used whatever means she could to relieve the itch.

I'd be looking into the possibility of finding a new vet who might actually look into WHY the dog had a really itchy bum rather than just being thankful your mum didn't have to bother with going in. That ISN'T some insignificant spot of itchiness there.

I find that disgraceful on the vet's part and somewhat negligent on your mother's part... treating with paw paw ointment is wonderful.. but none of you have any idea whatsoever what it is you are actually treating!