Wet Dog Food - Your Opinion Please

Looking at the wet food in the supermarkets, in particular the little trays.

What do people think of:

My Dog

Divine

Nature's Gift

Pedigree

Woolworths Select

We have tried all of these. We also use Royal Canin kibble. The Divine seemed to have nice chunks and our puppy loved it. She also loved the My Dog range with the special sauces in the middle. Nature's Gift went down well, as well as the Woolworths Select. She used to have the Pedigree Natural often so I think she might be bored with that now, although I didn't think dogs needed variety.

I have been checking the ingredients listed on these packs and they all seem ok to me but perhaps I'm not reading them properly. I know that so many people are against these supermarket foods, so I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and choosing the right one or two for her.

I know people will suggest cooking chicken, rice, etc but then she won't be getting all the vitamins and nutrients she needs - hopefully these dog foods do include everything.

Anyway, I am interested in what people have to say...also interested in dry dog food comments, too. We have used Advance and Royal Canin.

Thanks.

My sister will occasionally feed Natures Gift (i think?) when she runs out of food for her dog...

I have never thought much of the tinned foods... the lingering smell makes me want to :thumbsup:

I would sooner feed a good quality kibble and add raw mince...

Check the labels- instead of just what your girl likes :thumbsup:

Some have lots of 'junk' in them, but taste wonderful(to a dog).

Remember too, that canned food is a lot of water ,colouring and flavours :rolleyes:

if she is getting a good dry food, plus bones and fresh raw meat- she should be getting most of what her body needs!

will suggest cooking chicken, rice, etc

:love: not me!!

To be perfectly honest, there isn't a lot between them. The only difference is how they are packaged and presented. Overall, most have the same nutritional value.

Canned dog foods have come a VERY long way since I started breeding and exhibiting purebred dogs. Even though they still aren't generally thought highly of by most breeders, they are a lot more nutritious than they used to be in the days when they were at least 20% water and the rest fillers, flavours and colours.

I am guilty of using most of the above brands of canned foods at some stage or another. I ALWAYS have a few cans of "something" on hand for emergencies such as running out of fresh meat, a picky eater, a ravenous puppy or whatever.

Of those listed...for MY preference, I say Woolworths Select or Natures Gift, but as I said....they are all much of a muchness now anyway.

I use Natures Gift, and have done so for a number of years. I dont use any other canned dog food, have tried a few but have been very dissapointed!

However, I dont feed it exclusively. My girls generally get raw meat, veges and dry food, but when I have forgotted to defrost their meals, as sometimes happens in a shiftworking household :thumbsup: , I will use NG.

Also when my dufus RR girl is having a phantom pregnancy - she refuses raw meat, so she will have NG for a few days till she gets her appetite back.

I dont agree thats its the same as the others - I dont think it stinks, before or after, in fact it smells better than some of the human tinned food Ive come across over the years! Just had a look at a can - no colours or preservatives!

I would feed what you and your dogs are happy with. :rolleyes:

You could also check out the appropriate websites to get more details on ingredients.

RG

My dog & tinned are used here on special cases.

Our 15 year old eats what she decides at her age eating anything is a good day /

When the girls come in season one boy gets tinned whatever mixed through as he will nly eat that at that time.otherwise i dont use tin by choice.

Our dogs get treats,they dont dictate what they are being feed weekly.

All those listed i wouldnt use as adaily diet

I feed raw most of the time (sometimes what I am eating becomes his second course :thumbsup: ). I always have a couple of cans of Nature's Gift in the pantry for emergencies. It seems to be pretty good and does not have that nasty 'dog food' smell (such as Pal) YUCK

I really don't think it matters WHAT a person feeds as long as they are happy feeding it and their dogs are doing ok.

My preference is a meat and kibble diet with bones etc as additives. Others prefer to feed canned and dry. Yet others feed dry alone. It's a very personal choice.

My parents feed their dogs a diet that makes me shudder (based on canned and dry with table scraps), however the dogs are all happy and healthy with shiny coats and bright eyes so I'm not going to start dictating to them what the should, or shouldn't be doing.

I feel the same about premium dry foods. If your dogs are doing well on a budget brand and it fits your wallet without overflowing, then go for it.

I keep Advance canned foods in the cupboards for the nights when I run out of chicken or mince. The dogs eat Royal Canin biscuits but they really do like something soft at night as well, so I give them a bowl of chicken each or maybe two tablespoons of the tinned (they are only little dogs).

I have tried Royal Canin and Hills tins but they were much more solid then the advance (although that could be a good thing) and the dogs preferred the advance. But it's really just for a treat for dinner.

Looking at the wet food in the supermarkets, in particular the little trays.

What do people think of:

My Dog

Divine

Nature's Gift

Pedigree

Woolworths Select

Hi, I have had Cavs for nearly 20 years and I really think you would be paying way too much for these foods. I have given the Natures Gift and My dog to some of my lot when travelling but it is really a lot of money for little tiny containers of food. I will give you my mix that I make for my lot and they love it. I do 4kgs Chicken mince, 1kg minced veges, 1 packet of Black and Gold Tropical muesli, mixed all together and then frozen in containers. You could do this and put individual serves in freezer bags or containers. You can add raw eggs, olive oil, Missing Link supplements all mixed in. I show my dogs so feeding and coats are important. Also raw chicken necks or wings are most welcome and help with their teeth. Find a pet food shop that can supply you with all the meats you want at far better prices than supermarkets. I also use Beef mince mixed in with the chicken as well. A good natural diet with very few snacky things from you, I know those big brown eyes can plead but you have to ignore them! Mine love to have the odd Apple, tomato, piece of celery, strawberrys, watermelon when in season, they love fruit (except for Oranges)

Good luck, try to stick with a natural diet for your cav, it is sooo much better than canned rubbish (you wouldn't want to know what they make that rubbish out of!!) Great though if your dog is constipated, cleans em out real quick!

Value for money is quite poor with the canned foods. It costs me less to feed a good quality dry food like Artemis or Eagle Pack Holistic per day than it would to feed tinned food! I do, however have a couple of tins of Natures Gifts for emergencies or if i'm looking after a fussy eater, etc.