Clicker Training

Clicker training. Should I bother?

I do want to take training seriously. Martha is already a genius. She is only nine-weeks and she's learnt sit, stay, leave it, take it, high five and she's ok with down although she won't stay put.

:: beams with pride ::

On the other hand, she has a big range of horrible behaviour — shredding my skin with her puppy teeth, suggesting she sit on my lap and share my dinner — that I'm trying to train her out of.

I've read a bit about it, but I don't quite see why some people rave about it. So what are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tess32
Clicker training. Should I bother?

I do want to take training seriously. Martha is already a genius. She is only nine-weeks and she's learnt sit, stay, leave it, take it, high five and she's ok with down although she won't stay put.

:: beams with pride ::

On the other hand, she has a big range of horrible behaviour — shredding my skin with her puppy teeth, suggesting she sit on my lap and share my dinner — that I'm trying to train her out of.

I've read a bit about it, but I don't quite see why some people rave about it. So what are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

All clicker training is, is using a click to mark the moment a dog does the right thing. It's good because you can learn to be very accurate, the tone is neutral and you can shape a behaviour slowly from scratch.

Some people use a verbal marker instead....which is really the exact same thing but with voice.

There's no big miracle, it's that you're communicating clearly to your dog and it is easier to reward what you want to reward.

Thank you Tess. I actually did think there must be something more to it than that, because from what I've read some trainers are very keen on it.

Does it take the dog long to learn what the click means? I imagine if I tried it now Martha would find it distracting. I imagine consistency is the key — does that mean if you start with the clicker you're really committing to training with the clicker in the long term?

Thank you Tess. I actually did think there must be something more to it than that, because from what I've read some trainers are very keen on it.

Does it take the dog long to learn what the click means? I imagine if I tried it now Martha would find it distracting. I imagine consistency is the key — does that mean if you start with the clicker you're really committing to training with the clicker in the long term?

Takes a few minutes for them to learn what it means.

You can switch from clicker to verbal marker any time.

Some trainers use both at different times.

My guys also get really excited when the clicker comes out - they enjoy this chance to get a reward! Probably also has something to do with the way clicker training helps to lighten the mood and make training fun.

Like with all training, timing is the key, it is easy to accidentally shape behaviours you don't want - I have done that a few times and had to retrain :cheer: - like Diesel's retrieve, he thought he was supposed to throw the dumbell once he got it in his mouth!

I have used clicker training to shape putting an object in a box, and 2on/2off for agility among other things.

Like with all training, timing is the key, it is easy to accidentally shape behaviours you don't want - I have done that a few times and had to retrain :cheer: - like Diesel's retrieve, he thought he was supposed to throw the dumbell once he got it in his mouth!

Like Barkly's stand from sit:

Raise bum off floor, leave front paws in place, swing bum and back legs around 60degrees, do a little dance with the back legs, whimper and whine a little bit, sit back down, wriggle bum, bark.

Guest Tess32

They are probably keen cos so many of us confuse our poor dogs :cheer:

It doesn't take the majority of dogs long at all, however I do think it's longer than people think. Most dogs figure out click = food very very quickly, but it can take a little longer for the dog to realise click = correct = food. When they do, training can move very fast because it's so easy for them to understand what you want.

I use verbal and clicker....and remember you fade the clicker when the dog understands the behaviour so it's not like you hae to carry it around permanently :cheer:

I changed the way I train because of the clicker and becuase it adressed a problem for me which is how on earth do you reward a very food obsessed Labrador and retain your hands?

The funny thing is that I now know the answer to this question without using a clicker but still use a clicker. The clicker is part of a wide range of methods that are available to me. I use it when I want precision, or speed, or I am feeliing a touch cranky and I don't want it to come out in my training.

I also sometimes use the freeshaping that is sometimes seen as part of clicker training, but not a hell of a lot. For example teaching the flip finish, I taught the start (jump up) and the finish (sit beside me) and for a few days at the end of every training session we shaped how my poodle was going to get there. Believe you me, with a dog moving at the speed she does, a vocal marker just doesn't cut the mustard.

As for the other stuff, like nipping , and wanting to be places you don't want her, a clicker can help, but it probably isn't the tool that i would prefer to use. I am personally against giving specific training advice over the net and would suggest that you go to a good puppy class to learn how to do things. Training and day to day life goes a hell of a lot better if this basic issues have been resolved. f you can't get to a class, I would highly reccomend Ian Dunbar or Brenda Alloffs stuff.

They are probably keen cos so many of us confuse our poor dogs :rofl:

It doesn't take the majority of dogs long at all, however I do think it's longer than people think. Most dogs figure out click = food very very quickly, but it can take a little longer for the dog to realise click = correct = food. When they do, training can move very fast because it's so easy for them to understand what you want.

I use verbal and clicker....and remember you fade the clicker when the dog understands the behaviour so it's not like you hae to carry it around permanently :p

I agree with Tess, the dogs pick up very quickly the food connection but take a little longer to figure out the bit that actually earnt him the food, but once they do you can teach them so much!

I use both clicker & verbal, I try to always use the clicker when I first teach a move (or part of a move) but sometimes you just dont have enough hands (especially in dance moves where you are often luring the dog). I use the verbal alot even later on in training when the dog knows the move - in my mind there is never anything wrong letting the dog know it has done the right thing :rofl: .

I just skimmed the other posts, so I think it hasn't been mentioned... and you've probably read this already, but you charge the clicker before you start using it to mark behaviour- just like you'd do the same with a voice command. So, for a few minutes you sit with the dog and click and treat, so that the click is associated with whatever your treats are. Then you use it to mark behaviours, such as sitting, watching, etc. As all have said before, the advantage of the clicker is that it's tone neutral, and specific. It worked awesomely on my dogs, and though they responded fine to voice markers, the clicker is specific. I think I tend to use both- the voice thing is just a force of habit, I suppose. :)

I love Clicker training because it is a way that my dogs and I work one on one.

To see them "Get It" after the Penny drops is wonderful.

I was told one day in class that I shouldn't just talk to my dog when training that I should look at my dog and take notice of them instead of looking around and not noticing what my dog is doing.

That advice has changed my whole training routine and then along comes Clicker Training and boy did the two work well together.

As it has been said before, as soon as the clicker is produced my three dogs go through all their tricksand then after they understand that this isn't going to work they decide to sit and wait for my direction. Then it is fun and games with them trying anything and everything to get that reward.

I have found that my dogs only need to be clicked three times and then they have "Got It" but I still continue to reward them for a while then do it randomly.

I know many people do not understand the concept of Clicker Training in that the Click ends the action and a reward follows. I know of many people who click at the dog expecting it to come, sit, stand etc.

So if you know of someone who is going to try clicker training please make sure they understand what it is they are doing.

there are a number of great sites on the Internet if you do a Goodle search.

Wendy and her three clicker nuts

I know many people do not understand the concept of Clicker Training in that the Click ends the action and a reward follows. I know of many people who click at the dog expecting it to come, sit, stand etc.

In regards to the first sentence above, I have taught my dog that the click doesn't end the behaviour, all it does is mark that the dog has done the right thing & I have taught him to work through the click & to keep going with whatever he's doing. This builds drive & in my dancing I can give him a single signal or verbal command & he will just keep repeating it until I tell him to do something else (or stop him to reward him). Because he is keen for the reward his drive improved ten fold since I have taught him to work through the clicker (& it was pretty good before!).

But I do agree with the second sentence, dunno what people are thinking when they do something like that, they obviously have't got a clue what clicker training is actually about :) .

In regards to the first sentence above, I have taught my dog that the click doesn't end the behaviour, all it does is mark that the dog has done the right thing & I have taught him to work through the click & to keep going with whatever he's doing. This builds drive & in my dancing I can give him a single signal or verbal command & he will just keep repeating it until I tell him to do something else (or stop him to reward him). Because he is keen for the reward his drive improved ten fold since I have taught him to work through the clicker (& it was pretty good before!).

This is very interesting. How did you teach him to work through the clicker?

Botheration - there is no harm at all in trying the clicker and seeing whether you like using it.

As others have said, it is simply an efficient way to use the laws of learning which, if you are succeeding in teaching your pup you are evidently managing to use already. However, I suspect that as you progress in your training and set your goals higher (longer, stronger responses, responses when the rewards available aren't right there etc) you might find that it is very helpful, as it more difficult to communicate these more subtle details of behaviour without a precise way of communicating with your dog.

Btw, love the name Martha for a dog (being a Dr Who obsessive).

Edited by WalandLibby

I have used clicker training to shape putting an object in a box, and 2on/2off for agility among other things.

Piper thought she had to use her paw to push the dumbbell out of her mouth, so I sympathise :D 2 badly timed clicks as she happened to be sitting with dumbbell and paw off of the ground and weeks and weeks to kick the habit!

I find I am more accurate with a clicker in regards to my timing and no emotions coming into it.

An example of emotions working badly for Piper and I was I had been working on getting her to pen a foot pedal bin and put rubbish in it for ages. She could open it and she also already knew how to put something in a container but she couldn't work out that her foot had to stay on the pedal. Well finally 1 day while using a verbal marker she did it. The excitement in my voice showed so she spun around, jumped up at me in excitement as I was bending down. Hit me in the face putting my tooth into my lip, I screamed and pulled back and she wouldn't go near the foot pedal bin for ages!

In terms of if you start with it are you stuck with it, not if you also train a verbal marker. Mine switch betwen them easily but as I said I find *I* am more precise with a clicker.

I find that the clicker teaches dogs to problem solve/think a little quicker than conventional training. Your dog will always be trying to work out how to get the treat and will give you the whole repertoire of tricks, which for some is annoying, but I actually enjoy watching my dogs use their brains.

I use both marker word and clickers, dependent on the situation, but no amount of marker words will make my dog's eyes light up like the clicker can. It has a special something about it.

Anyone can use a clicker, but you must learn to be mindful of timing. Although from the many tools and techniques I have used and seen in the past, if I happen to click at the wrong time, I can rest assured that I will NOT cause any significant, detrimental damage to my dog.

I once read and agree that a clicker is like using a fine paint brush for intricate work, and a praise word is like using a roller for painting.

You can indicate exact, precise behaviours to your dog with a clicker that would be very hard to communicate with a verbal marker. Some people can do it but most of us can't.

I think it is a great idea to clicker train some tricks and then decide for yourself the benefits of the clicker.

I used and learnt about the clicker when I had no other luck training a retrieve, my dogs had a good retrieve in no time at all with the clicker and I have been sold on it ever since. Like others have said you don't always have to have the clicker with you but mostly use it by choice for teaching any new thing to your dog. It is just the easiest way for my dog to understand how to play my strange human games.

Yesterday my dog was a bit bored from all the rainy weather over the last couple of days so I got the clicker, some treats and my car keys. In under two minutes I taught my dog to pick up my car keys and give them to my hand. When I finished I put the treats and clicker away but forgot and left the keys on the coffee table in the loungeroom. I started watching the TV with my backside to the gas heater when my dog went and got the keys and bought them to my hand.

What a dog! She just wants to train all the time and it is mostly because of the clicker.