Snoring

shmoo

Recently my desexed male malt x silky, Sweep, has been snoring a lot. It's when he gets warm and comfy and is falling asleep or asleep.

Problem is, he sleeps in my bed.. and the snoring is waking OH.

I've got him on a diet cause he is a tad over weight, but I was wondering if anybody else had a suggestion to make him stop short from some type of surgery?!

He has slept in my bed since he was 10 weeks old so putting him in a crate in another room would be just as noisy :)

Getting the weight off him should help. And maybe making him sleep somewhere else.

I wouldn't be doing any sort of surgery unless he has other breathing problems.

I find my pugs snore when they are really tired or they are sleeping at a funny angle. My girl, who is 6.8kg, is a louder snorer then my boy who is, 9.4kg. I am pretty sure because she has smaller nostrils.

Yes it can. Several reasons why - fatty build up, allergies causing swelling, and the pressure of air being forced beyond the soft palate can weaken the tracheal walls somewhat.

In Pugs, and other breeds with severe soft palate problems, it commonly causes tracheal collapse. This can be either partial or total. If total then obviously the dog can not breathe at all and dies.

Obviously, your little one is not in this category but I explained it further so you could understand it better.

Both of our pugs snore....but not all the time (funnily one of them is going to town right now). I am also a light sleeper, but have found that if I can't hear their soft little snores (the loud ones do still wake me), then I can't get to sleep as I'm wondering what they're up to!

We have found that by changing their position/angle of their head we can eliminate their snoring completely....if their chin is up they generall snore, so maybe try adjusting his position?? I have been woken several times when my pug sneaks into bed and tries to share the pillow - as the angle is too much and the snores are so loud!!

Getting some weight off will help - same with human snorers!

We have 2 snoring maestros sleeping in our bedroom (3 including OH hehe).

This is what we do:

1) OH uses silicone ear-plugs - he calls them multipurpose :)

2) Enjoy the 'music' - I cannot fall asleep if one of the girls is quiet (OH is another matter :) )

Edited by Anna

Charlie snores occasionally but it is usually when he manages to fall asleep with his head upside down (either lying on his back or with his head bent back) so a hard shove is usually enough to stop him snoring. I am a horrible person when woken up lol, I accidently shoved him off the bed one night in frustration (was still mostly asleep myself). Can't imagine what it would be like if he didn't stop snoring when moved into a better position, he would probably be sleeping outside LOL

Probably worth getting it checked out by the vet if it is a sudden onset thing. Not necessarily surgery, just a checkup to start with.

I know how you feel!

Riley's been snoring quite a bit lately and it wakes OH up.

I wake up in the morning to find Riley covered in socks, soft toys etc which OH has thrown at him throughout the night to try and get him to stop :rofl:

Tried Sweep in a crate in the lounge room last night. He barked a bit for a while, but then at 5.30am he woke us both us with barking again. It was a stressy kinda bark. He had pulled the blanket I put over the top of the crate through the wires and was panting heavily. He had knocked over his water bowl and not touched his bone I put in for him. I let him out and he ran straight to the house water bowl and drank. So I let him in bed and OH went to the couch. :rofl:

Sweep really didn't cope last night and it is driving OH and I apart. :)

Edited by shmoo

Can SoG wear ear plugs Shmoo??

No he won't :laugh:

The crating isn't going very well. sigh. Sweep just whimpers and then in the wee hours of the morning he starts barking. I hoping that over time the wee hour barking will get later and later. Poor bugger is so tired thou because he isn't sleeping at all.